Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anybody regret buying Model X for your main car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I can't pull a trigger on Model X, since it's a big change and I did try it for 24 hours and did not make it to a long trip destination because I was counting on the range that showing in the car.
Now I know that every long trip needs to be very carefully planned and there are so many things affecting the range dramatically.

So I would like to hear if anybody has regretted buying Model X or Tesla in general?

Please share your thoughts

Thanks.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
I am about to order my fifth one, so no regrets.

I have been driving one since 2009. My wife has been driving one since 2012 - that is all we have had since. We take all of our road trips in them (about 35k worth) - much nicer than gas cars. Planning for a trip is just entering the destination in the car and making sure there is a supercharger route there. I did much more in the early years, but with all the superchargers that is all we do now.

Last edited:
To be honest I have 2 big concerns that are stopping me

1. Range anxiety for longs trips. I don't like risking at all, that is why I'm pretty sure I will have range anxiety a lot
2. Falcon doors. I hate attention and I think those doors will cause finger pointers :) NYC People can you please share your thoughts on that

To DIRECTLY respond to your question: No, we have no regrets. Currently own a 2013 S and a 2016 X. Both purchased new. The X is a six seater.

We did our due diligence and realized that the X would not be able to haul a lot of stuff, but it still suffices for 95% of what we need. We've taken both cars on long road trips (including a cross country trip with the X) and had no problems with the car. Only problem we experienced were a couple of underperforming or inoperable superchargers, but this did not stop us.

We did keep a Lexus GX460 ICE for sole purposes of pulling a trailer from time to time, with the inside of the vehicle packed to the gills, in order to carry tools (think large tools) and parts/supplies to our beach vacation home.

It looks like your concern is about range anxiety?

I got my X60D (200 rated miles) back in October 2016. I never really had a range issue for the first whole year I owned the car. Then came along the performance update that requires a X75D, which I paid to unlock. I never came close to needing that extra few 10, 20 rated miles. Granted, I do live in Southern California up in the hill, and the furthest I've gone to with the X is Las Vegas. Now I am getting a replacement vehicle and I am getting a 100D. It's not that I really need that extra range on a daily basis, but it's nice to have since I am going to keep this car for a long time. Why not right?

Reactions: Shawn Snider
Had the X for four months and I have no regrets. I think it's actually entertaining to spend a few minutes planning a trip, and I'm about as far from OCD as you can get.

There are a couple routes we can't currently take but those are routes we might use once every 5-10 years. Those holes in the SpC network are suppose to be plugged this year.

Going EV isn't for everyone, some people are just too lazy or don't care enough about the environmental benefits to be bothered with the few extra minutes on a long trip to charge. I'm excluding those that hate EV for political/cultural reasons, they will be the last to convert when they have no other option.

Hello, I can't pull a trigger on Model X, since it's a big change and I did try it for 24 hours and did not make it to a long trip destination because I was counting on the range that showing in the car.
Now I know that every long trip needs to be very carefully planned and there are so many things affecting the range dramatically.

So I would like to hear if anybody has regretted buying Model X or Tesla in general?

Please share your thoughts

Thanks.
No regrets at all. Unless that long trip you had trouble with is something you do regularly, I wouldn't hesitate. There's a good chance there are other chargers available that you might not have considered to help you and as time goes by the number of superchargers will only continue to increase. We've been fortunate to own some very nice ICE's, and this is already our favorite by a mile. Best of luck with your decision!

Reactions: Shawn Snider
As opposed to 5 or 6? And why?

I'm in the painful process of making up my mind regarding lot's of things before I pull the trigger. A recurring nightmare of mine is deciding 6 vs 7.

P.S. Sorry to hijack the thread a little bit...
I have grandkids and having the 7 seat would be great. I have 5. I like either the 5 or 7 because the seats fold flat enabling bigger cargo or even a sleeping mattress. I’m a camper. Real happy with the 5 except for family gatherings. I think the 7 seat is cheaper than 6. More flexible. I bought inventory and saved about 7K (had 1K on ODO). Add the 3K upcharge for custom order 7 seat and 10 K+ difference. Simply had to draw line on $ so went with 5 seat. IF I custom ordered I would spend $3K for the 7. But 10 K too much.

Don't have any regrets necessarily, but I would say that I end up worrying about the car being hit/vandalized a lot more than before. I'm sure it will go away after a few years of ownership, but being the most expensive car I've owned I am definitely way more OCD about the X compared to my other cars. Only other issue I would say is it can be inconvenient when the center screen stops working or is frozen. Has only happened to me a few times, but it sucks waiting for things to power on when you are a rush to get to your next destination.

Lastly, I have a love/hate relationship with the FWD. It is great most of the time, but sometimes it attracts too much attention or you end up having to override the door sometimes when it doesn't open all the way. After you've driven the X for a few days and go back to any other car, you'll quickly realize you'll never want to drive anything else.

I have the 7 seat. Sometimes I wish it was 6. But I have a family of 5 and 2 parents near by that can't drive much anymore. I really wish that middle seat can be removed when necessary. It would be so helpful. I never have range anxiety but I have superchargers in all directions if needed. Took a drive to NC from NJ and had zero issues and didn't even come close to running low on a charge. Its not for everyone. So do your research and make sure it will work for you.

Going EV isn't for everyone, some people are just too lazy or don't care enough about the environmental benefits to be bothered with the few extra minutes on a long trip to charge. I'm excluding those that hate EV for political/cultural reasons, they will be the last to convert when they have no other option.

I don't think you should paint ICE owners with a brush like that. There are 43 million households in this country that rent. That is 36% of all households. Not everyone has the convenience of
plugging in their car at night. Then you have the 75 million households which are homeowners. A significant portion of those homeowners are condos, have no garages, have no parking spot
or driveway for their residence. We are talking about tens of millions of drivers who are unable to plug in an EV car to charge. Please don't portray ICE owners as lazy or hateful.

And how many million can't afford a 90K automobile? Most people buying sedans are spending 15-25k on a Camry, Civic, Cruze....

I need a pickup truck for the things I do. What alternative do I have?

/rant

I'll give you my two cents.

2016 75d X, with 26k on the OD.

Love the car, we have been through 2 winter, Best winter car, low cost of ownership.

We have taken trips that are 300 miles, 800 miles, 1600 miles, and round trip to FL of 3700 miles. Trust me when I say I have no range issue at all. SC are everywhere. If you choose the life style, you make it work. If you can't wait for charging, or like to drive 4+ hours without stopping, EV are not for you......

that being said, We love our 6 seater. if I had to go back and pull the trigger, I would do it again.

To be honest I have 2 big concerns that are stopping me

1. Range anxiety for longs trips. I don't like risking at all, that is why I'm pretty sure I will have range anxiety a lot
2. Falcon doors. I hate attention and I think those doors will cause finger pointers :) NYC People can you please share your thoughts on that

How long are your long trips? I'm in the suburbs of NYC and regularly commute into the city. Day trips to Boston and DC are all easily done on my 75D. I've taken trips to Toronto, and I'm actually planning a trip to Chicago as we speak. (There's high speed charging at an average of 130 miles apart on that trip)

As for the falcon doors. Nobody in NYC cares about them. I've parked on the street and in the garages and I haven't been stopped or gawked out while in the city. You do need to be careful though parking on the street; I usually leave them on child lock because of the way they swing open. I've gotten more gawks from central/southern NJ. Usually it's a kid that goes "look Dad! It's a Tesla"

As for regrets, I don't regret buying it as my main car. I regret not getting certain options sometimes though.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat specifically or even see what kind of wear and tear my car has taken. I still have a fresh referral code for $500 in accessories and free supercharging if you want as well if that pushes you over the buying edge ;)