Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anybody regret buying Model X for your main car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love our X90D. Glad we have the 6 seater but 7 seats would have been better here or there. For how much we use the extra seats though, 6 is fine and when it is just 6, the big gap in the center really helps with legroom. Have put 20K miles on in a year. Driven to San Diego and back, Michigan and back. Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, we go everywhere. Headed to the east coast and back next month. No real range issues except for high altitude cold in the west and one stop at a campground for some juice in monument valley. Have used a large cargo container with it on long drives but no actual real towing.

Knock on wood, we have an early '17, one of the last with ventilated seats and the build quality had been really good for us.

Reactions: chibi_kurochan
I am an early adopter who got one of the first X90Ds in June 2016. For the most part, I've been relatively satisfied with my ownership experience until recently. My local service center has always been very fast to respond to any issues. Although I have had a few small issues here and there, I have yet to be stranded or develop a catastrophic failure. (/knock on wood) However, for the Model X rollout, I felt that Tesla just threw out these cars as fast as they could and forced the local service centers to retroactively clean up the mess such shoddy quality caused. I chalked this up to Tesla being a young company that needed more experience.

In January of this year, I got in an accident--and the entire process has been terrible. Even though my insurance approved both the initial and the supplemental estimates within 2 weeks and even though I sent my car to a "Tesla approved" body shop, my car is not yet repaired after 3 months. I'm still waiting for parts to complete the repair without any ETA from the Tesla's Parts Department. To think that Tesla still does not have their act together with replacement body parts nearly 2 years after the release of the Model X is ridiculous. My car has now been in the shop for over 10% of the time that I've owned it with no end in sight.

To me, Tesla just seems like a dysfunctional company that still cannot get some of the basics right and has not learned from its past mistakes. And the news reports that Tesla is going to hire 400+ people weekly to ramp up production of the Model 3 do not give me confidence in Tesla. If their implementation of the Model 3 rollout is just as bad as that of the Model X, Tesla won't survive.

Thus, when I get my car back, I'll have to make a choice about whether I'll keep it, especially as it's value may plummet if Tesla looks shaky as a company. My suggestion to prospective buyers is to wait for some of the competition to come out soon--like the e-tron and the I-Pace, see if the Model 3 rollout makes or breaks Tesla, and then make a decision. There's no reason to rush.

Have you tried contact Tesla Body Shop Support? See link below.

Body Shop Support

What I would really love is for the second row seats (in 6 seats configuration) to rotate overt themselves so that they could be set to face back like some minivans do. That would create a super cool mini "conference room" with the two back seats.
or a way to really stretch your legs...the second row is surprisingly cramped when it comes to leg room.

Reactions: Brave Ulysses
I agree. Getting 6 adults in the vehicle would be impossible with a 7 seater.

The "new" 7 seater is much better in this regard. My March 2018 7 seater is not too bad for an adult to get in the back. You press the little electric button on the seatback and the seatback will fold forward about 45 degrees. You then can roll that section of the bench seat right up to the back of the front seat. Much farther than the amount it moves fore and aft normally when seated. There is a really large gap for getting into the 3rd row.

Most people that get in my 3rd row would rather crawl through the hold then go through the hassle of waiting for the seats to move and struggling with the wheel wells.

My need for the gap between the 2nd row seats is so anyone with legs has a place to put them when in the 3rd row. No matter how far up the second seats are, and there is not much travel, there is insufficient room for anyone taller than 4' 2".

Hello, I can't pull a trigger on Model X, since it's a big change and I did try it for 24 hours and did not make it to a long trip destination because I was counting on the range that showing in the car.
Now I know that every long trip needs to be very carefully planned and there are so many things affecting the range dramatically.

So I would like to hear if anybody has regretted buying Model X or Tesla in general?

Please share your thoughts

Thanks.
A little practice and these little range anxiety gaps vanish with some nice planning. Especially with new maps.

Most people that get in my 3rd row would rather crawl through the hold then go through the hassle of waiting for the seats to move and struggling with the wheel wells.

My need for the gap between the 2nd row seats is so anyone with legs has a place to put them when in the 3rd row. No matter how far up the second seats are, and there is not much travel, there is insufficient room for anyone taller than 4' 2".
I think the pedestal of the six seat config is a nice cool design that surprisingly gives room for the third row for legs.

To be honest I have 2 big concerns that are stopping me

1. Range anxiety for longs trips. I don't like risking at all, that is why I'm pretty sure I will have range anxiety a lot
2. Falcon doors. I hate attention and I think those doors will cause finger pointers :) NYC People can you please share your thoughts on that
1) no worries on long trips.... you become familiar with everything soon .... really comfortable with range.... the long trips are fun, and remember you can slow down an make crazy distances with the x.
2) Having lived-in NYC for a long time.... you won't care about the looks.... everyone is delighted by the car and none of them will be interested or aware of you.... (no offense).... two busy checking out that sweet vehicle.

Most people that get in my 3rd row would rather crawl through the hold then go through the hassle of waiting for the seats to move and struggling with the wheel wells..

I think kids for sure would rather scamper through the opening, but that is not always possible for everyone. Before I decided, I was fortunate enough to have some time with a 6-seater loaner while my former Model S was in for service. Some of my adult friends could not squeeze through that opening to the back at all. I could, but it was tricky. I'm not huge (5'10") but at close to 60, don't bend as well as I used to and you have to in order to get "under" the large central structure that supports the falcon wings.

With the second row bench slid in "easy access" form, it is a relative breeze to get back there. No worse than getting into the back seat of a 2-door car. Plus the bench, which was redesigned in (I think) mid 2017, has much better foot room underneath. (Downside: no custom floor mats available yet because of the new seat legs). In all honesty, I will rarely, if ever have people back there and could have gotten by with the 5-seat configuration.

I had a couple of other reasons for the 7-seater: Cargo room is important. For some bizarre reason, Tesla decided that the second row buckets can't fold flat. As such, my Model S actually could handle cargo better than the X in this configuration. The 7-seater second and third rows fold completely flat enabling a LOT more cargo. Not everyone has this need, but I frequently have to move an old dresser to the lake house and such.

I really like the look of the second row buckets with the second row console, but from an overall practicality view, the bench made more sense for me. Anyone deciding should factor this into their decision, especially if cargo handling is important to them.

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
I would hope the community is open minded enough to not troll or blast me for this comment.

Yes, I regret buying a MX for my primary car. Prior to buying the idea worked well. The car was nice, and I had a coworker with a MS for several years that I was in often.

After a year of ownership, we found that the MX was not a fit for our family. Falcon wing doors may be great in SoCal, but in the great lakes region winters are cold and spring is wet. In addition, I have a garage where every other car can be used with all doors. The MX could only open the driver door, and the passenger with great care. In addition, from someone with a very long commute, the operational cost exceeded the value I felt I was getting.

Lastly, there has been great promise of charging infrastructure enhancements. This has not come in my area. I rarely travel to where superchargers are available. Beyond that what L2 is available, is sparse. I am not tied to free, rather I would happily pay for chademo. We have family that we have to use our commuter car to visit (2 hours away) because with terrian, the MX would never make the round trip.

We sold our MX after one year. Luckily, we did not lose too much (fair sale price + tax credit). It was the best decision for us.

I have a garage where every other car can be used with all doors. The MX could only open the driver door, and the passenger with great care. In addition, from someone with a very long commute, the operational cost exceeded the value I felt I was getting.

Yeah, I have found the FWDs to be useless in my rather tight and low garage.

Not sure I understand the long commute thing. I was able to base a large part of my purchase decision for my original Model S on my long commute. My fuel savings over gas were huge. In 5 years of ownership (with the S), I saved over $21,000 in fuel costs.That's the difference between electricity and what I would have paid for gas. One of my co-workers used to joke that I could save even more if I moved farther away from the office. The X is not quite as efficient, but still way better than any equivalent gas car. Mind you, I'm comparing to an equivalently sized gas car, not some tiny puddle jumper.

No regrets. We've put over 8000 miles on our 75D since buying it in December, including three 1400-mile road trips. We just traded our other gas SUV for a CPO Nissan Leaf to help save miles on the MX. The Leaf will take over as our grocery getter, errand runner, commuter, and truck. I have nothing against gas, except that it stinks, it's dirty, it costs too much, and I had to travel to a filthy pump to put it in the car.

In a related note, even our yard equipment is now battery powered. That was actually our first gas-to-battery conversion experience. No more gas for us. Hard to believe we are done with gas in Oklahoma!

• Funny
Reactions: Peteybabes
No regrets. We've put over 8000 miles on our 75D since buying it in December, including three 1400-mile road trips. We just traded our other gas SUV for a CPO Nissan Leaf to help save miles on the MX. The Leaf will take over as our grocery getter, errand runner, commuter, and truck. I have nothing against gas, except that it stinks, it's dirty, it costs too much, and I had to travel to a filthy pump to put it in the car.

In a related note, even our yard equipment is now battery powered. That was actually our first gas-to-battery conversion experience. No more gas for us. Hard to believe we are done with gas in Oklahoma!
oklahoma is the oil capital of the world! wow

To be honest I have 2 big concerns that are stopping me

1. Range anxiety for longs trips. I don't like risking at all, that is why I'm pretty sure I will have range anxiety a lot

I had the same issue/concern. My co-worker, who owns an S, took me on a trip and I got to see first hand the beauty of the Supercharger network. No more range issues. It does take some planning, and your trip might get broke up more than with an ICE vehicle, but I honestly don't mind breaking up my trips. And, you meet some pretty awesome people at the SC's. Around town, it won't be an issue since we will have a HPWC in the garage for overnight charges.