Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anybody regret buying Model X for your main car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would hope the community is open minded enough to not troll or blast me for this comment.

Yes, I regret buying a MX for my primary car. Prior to buying the idea worked well. The car was nice, and I had a coworker with a MS for several years that I was in often.

After a year of ownership, we found that the MX was not a fit for our family. Falcon wing doors may be great in SoCal, but in the great lakes region winters are cold and spring is wet. In addition, I have a garage where every other car can be used with all doors. The MX could only open the driver door, and the passenger with great care. In addition, from someone with a very long commute, the operational cost exceeded the value I felt I was getting.

Lastly, there has been great promise of charging infrastructure enhancements. This has not come in my area. I rarely travel to where superchargers are available. Beyond that what L2 is available, is sparse. I am not tied to free, rather I would happily pay for chademo. We have family that we have to use our commuter car to visit (2 hours away) because with terrian, the MX would never make the round trip.

We sold our MX after one year. Luckily, we did not lose too much (fair sale price + tax credit). It was the best decision for us.

I feel similar to this. Our situation changed. The size of the battery was not an issue where we previously lived. Now that we have relocated with work a the 100D would have been better. Probably would have also went with a Model S knowing what I know now. I like the vehicle but for what we need now it's not ideal.

The Model X is not my main car it is my only car. Never regretted buying for a minute, amazing vehicle.
i was in the same boat, good ole ohio boy with a model x as the only car...now though? car has been sitting for 3 months waiting for part #: 1027831-00-E which tesla has pushed back the eta on 3 times...that's my biggest regret.

i love the car, but when minor accidents occur, (slid into a curb with the wheel turned #ohioweatherwithsummertires) then relatively common parts should be available. this is my biggest hesitation for staying with the company. :(

cheers.

It has proven to be the best choice possible for me and my family.

Roomy, powerful, great handling and capable. We have used it for camping, off road exploring, road trips, Costco runs and commuting. It's autopilot makes commuting and long distance cruising much less stressful.

Our Golden Retriever simply loves riding in the way back. The falcon wing doors are a hit with friends and family when we go out to dinner. The Falcon WIng Doors work great as unbrellas during our recent rainey days.

The frunk is wonderfully handy for grocery store runs and we also carry a fold up electric tricycle up there when taking road trips or visiting the Grandchildren.

Running on Sunshine makes us feel GREEN and the costs of operation have been far below any ICE vehicle we have ever owned.

I understand that other people, with different needs, may not find the X to be the best choice, but for us the eXperience has been wonderful.

• Funny
Reactions: Tourman and gavine
I took delivery of my Model X in July from the Fremont distribution center and I really like the car and the fact that it does not use gas- I really want to support the electric movement and reduction of greenhouse gases. I love the auto drive, it is great for SF Bay Area traffic, and there are superchargers around and of course, my little house has solar. There were some drips from the Falcon Wing Doors but on the advice of another Tesla Forums poster, I got some plastic bead rolls from Bay and put them on the top of the center pillar on either side, and that has stopped water pouring in when the doors are opened.

There are some problems, I have been trying to get the enhanced theft protection installed for about 3 months but the Dublin Service Center will need to leave the car there for 3-4 days to get it installed, so I am going to the Monterey service center next week- they will take 1-3 hours and will even give me a loaner for a few hours, so I can play tourist in Monterey. In the meantime I bought a rechargeable and solar powered red flashing light for my dashboard so it the car is parked somewhere at night, the red light flashes!

I have been watching the You Tube video series Rich Rebuilds and I am fascinated about his tearing down and rebuilding the Model S and Model X, However, has also been chronicling his difficulty with Tesla parts and then their poorly-run used Tesla purchasing system, and it has really given me pause. He has been trying to purchase a used Model X P90D (I guess he likes the car) and he has had a terrible time. He also has documented the problems one of his friends had with purchasing a used Model X and not being able to get a registration from Tesla for 3-4 months- a very expensive paperweight indeed. His careful video documentation attracted the attention of the Tesla Administration and hopefully has led to changes.

Finally, the main regret was that my girlfriend did not agree with my decision to purchase the car, it was a lot of money... and when I did accept delivery, she broke up with me. It has taken me some time to persuade her to get back with me. I had to agree to see a financial planner and have her OK the purchase, and we are getting counseling as well, but things are now good. That was a close call, and she is important enough to me that if it comes down to it, I will sell the Tesla and just rely on my ICE car.

My girlfriend got beaned on the head with the FWD last week when her brother-in-law closed the door prematurely. That was another close call.

• Funny
Reactions: Gen3 and Kutu
IMG_4970.jpg

Oh, yeah! I am the OP of this post and I regret buying it so much. I am living in hell for the past 8-month with the Tesla

The car is best and the worse at the same time. When people were saying that Tesla is good but not perfect, I wanted to believe that all those "none perfect" things will not bother me, but I was soooo wrong. Tesla has the best tech in the car, period, but at the same time it Fails on basic things that we just got used to in any other car, and now I realize that you will get bored with cool tech stuff in a couple of months, but the basics at which Tesla fails will be with for the entire duration of time. So don't want to sound too dramatic, but buying Tesla was the biggest mistake.

My biggest problem is the Seat has a design flaw that will be painful for certain people that are tall and weight more than 210lb
(I literally drive through pain every single day)
Driver seat: metal bar in the middle is pushing after just 1 month

Here is somebody that took it to a professional upholstery and they confirmed a design flaw.
Driver seat: metal bar in the middle is pushing after just 1 month

Also, look at the pol I created at the top.
25% of people having the same issue on this forum alone

I have a big list of other things, but I will not bother you with that because on that forum (or any other Tesla forum) you will get attacked for criticizing Tesla (like I did many times)

• Informative
Reactions: modamoda
So far Model X and Model 3 have proven good for our family... multiple road trips, even in winter have gone smoothly. I'm in sales and I don't think that I could pull off only having the Model X. The Model 3 enables me the range that I need to run meetings and there have only been a handful of times where I had to grab a quick charge at a Supercharger to make the next meeting and head home. So far so good. My concern will be when adding multiple meetings in a day into Wisco where there are not as many Superchargers and how I am going to deal with that...

Day to Day is no problem at all.

My next concern is going on a camping trip with the X this coming summer. It looks like I will need to hit up a Supercharger, no problem, but I need to make sure that I can then get back to that Supercharger and I often have horrible vampire drain with the X. These are the situations where the ICE would make everything easier, but I'm pretty confident that I will be to make it with the X. It will take some extra planning and hopefully the camp ground will let me grab some juice overnight and then no problem.

So far Model X and Model 3 have proven good for our family... multiple road trips, even in winter have gone smoothly. I'm in sales and I don't think that I could pull off only having the Model X. The Model 3 enables me the range that I need to run meetings and there have only been a handful of times where I had to grab a quick charge at a Supercharger to make the next meeting and head home. So far so good. My concern will be when adding multiple meetings in a day into Wisco where there are not as many Superchargers and how I am going to deal with that...

Day to Day is no problem at all.

My next concern is going on a camping trip with the X this coming summer. It looks like I will need to hit up a Supercharger, no problem, but I need to make sure that I can then get back to that Supercharger and I often have horrible vampire drain with the X. These are the situations where the ICE would make everything easier, but I'm pretty confident that I will be to make it with the X. It will take some extra planning and hopefully the camp ground will let me grab some juice overnight and then no problem.

Most camp grounds have NEMA 14-50 240v 50a outlets for RVs, which work great for Teslas and other EVs. Five years ago, when a group of New England Model S (and one Roadster) owners did a drive up Mt. Washington, there were no Superchargers or Destination Chargers in the area so most people stayed and charged at local campgrounds. I charged for $10 at an RV dealership during dinner and a nap before driving home late at night. Look on Plugshare and you should find some, then call ahead - they normally ask for an overnight booking, or $10-15 for a charge.

Loving ours. We drive it 99.99% of the time.

I had to charge the battery on the 2012 BMW 335i that sits next to the X because I could not start it. I suspect that will turn into another $400 BMW battery replacement since their battery tend to not come back from running down. Wish I could just plug the BMW in the HPWC for an hour ever other week to keep that battery up.

Also, kinda of wondering if the gas is also turning to jelly. That means a multi-thousand visit to the local BMW stealer. Maybe I should just drive the car. It is no Tesla, but it's OK.

What is your real world range difference between the two cars? Also is the 3 comfortable enough for your commute vs the X?

We have an X and are considering the 3 precisely for the same use case...

We split our time commuting in both the X and 3. I think the X is a lot more comfortable than the 3 but we also have one of the first 3s delivered in December 2017.

As far as range, the 3LR RWD is a beast for efficiency. On our commute, it’s frequently below 250 Wh/m where the X is closer to 380. I’ve seen it as low as 215 or so.

What is your real world range difference between the two cars? Also is the 3 comfortable enough for your commute vs the X?

We have an X and are considering the 3 precisely for the same use case...

See TeslaFi stats below to give you an idea of the cold winter here in Chicago... I would not be able to make the X work as my everyday meeting car, at least in the winter...

MODEL 3

Model3.JPG

MODEL X
Model3.JPG

Attachments

• MoedlX.JPG
    MoedlX.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Informative
Reactions: electracity
My biggest problem is the Seat has a design flaw that will be painful for certain people that are tall and weight more than 210lb

What year is your build? My X is 11/17, and I'm a BIG dude at 6'4"/285lbs, and I drive my X on both long and short trips... and have absolutely none of the problems you're having.

In response to the OP's orig question: NO WAY! I love, love, love my X! :D

Thinking of joining the electric movement and starting research into the limited options. Coming from a Discovery we liked the idea of the X but was wondering how practical it is with the passenger doors. We have a roof rack fitted most of the time for bikes and with a wife and two daughters the boot is filled to overflowing with just the shortest of vacations!!!

Not to concerned over range as living in the UK the most we probably ever do is 150 - 200 miles.

Thinking of joining the electric movement and starting research into the limited options. Coming from a Discovery we liked the idea of the X but was wondering how practical it is with the passenger doors. We have a roof rack fitted most of the time for bikes and with a wife and two daughters the boot is filled to overflowing with just the shortest of vacations!!!

Not to concerned over range as living in the UK the most we probably ever do is 150 - 200 miles.

I believe overhead racks are a no go on the Model X. I have seen a number of people have bike racks attached to the trailer hitch, like the one Tesla sells, https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/category/vehicle-accessories/model-x.html

There is quite a lot of room in the back of the Tesla and also a Frunk in the nose. There is also second storage area under the rear cargo area that will hold 7 bags of groceries or 2 carry-on bags

Coming from a Discovery we liked the idea of the X but was wondering how practical it is with the passenger doors. We have a roof rack fitted most of the time for bikes and with a wife and two daughters the boot is filled to overflowing with just the shortest of vacations!!!

Forget what you read about in reviews where people who drive the car a day gets worried about the doors.

The rear FWDs and the front powered doors are one of the best things about the X. They open in the tightest parking spaces, makes using the third row really easy and in rain they work much better than any umbrella.

If you look at the posts here your see just how reliable the doors are by the lack of issues people have had.

For bikes use a tow bar mounted carrier. Even if you could fit a roof rack the X is so high getting bikes off/on wouldn't be easy.

With the X now only coming with a 100D battery your have no issues with range, I have a 75D smaller battery X, 30K miles covered in 2 years across the UK, and France, zero issues.

Unless you need 7 seats get the 6 seater. The extra cabin space between the 2nd row passenger is really useful, and the third row passengers have much more leg room. You some boot space as the 2nd row doesn't fold flat, but its still a massive boot. In my book any car that can swallow the entire inlaws+child, and keep them all smiling even in the mini heat wave we had last summer qualifies to be called a 'good family car' :)

42414039144_87acd7eea4_z_d.jpg

But which ever version you get the car is fabously as a family car, comfortable, safe, quite, quick, practical, low running costs, I wouldn't swap our X for anything. I suspect once you test drive any X your realise just how dated the Discovery is in comparison:).

30053445767_f0abe97098_z_d.jpg

Finally, the main regret was that my girlfriend did not agree with my decision to purchase the car, it was a lot of money... and when I did accept delivery, she broke up with me..........

My girlfriend got beaned on the head with the FWD last week when her brother-in-law closed the door prematurely. That was another close call.

Humm maybe the X is trying to tell you something ;).

• Funny
Reactions: Mrcook4590
Hello, I can't pull a trigger on Model X, since it's a big change and I did try it for 24 hours and did not make it to a long trip destination because I was counting on the range that showing in the car.
Now I know that every long trip needs to be very carefully planned and there are so many things affecting the range dramatically.

So I would like to hear if anybody has regretted buying Model X or Tesla in general?

Please share your thoughts

Thanks.
No. Both of our cars are Model X. No real need to plan long trips. The navigation will tell you where to charge. Just plan on taking a few more minutes at each stop. No more dashing in and out of a restaurant or gas station. We take our time and it works out great.