Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone actually have FSD v12 yet?

Do you have FSD v12 yet?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I've heard, it's about 1% of vehicles with FSD that are running V12, mostly employees in "Wave 1". So the vast majority won't have it. It looks like they halted the rollout a few weeks ago because Tesla did not deem V12.1.2 good enough. They just started rolling a new version last night (12.3) but it's still very limited and may take a few days to a week for a broader deployment if Tesla deems it good enough for wide release.

Newly delivered cars actually don't tend to have the latest builds. They run on factory versions of firmware (usually denoted by a triple digit number like 2024.2.XXX). They are supposedly more stable builds that have been out longer and perhaps have more logging and debugging features enabled for new deliveries to diagnose any issues from the factory, It usually takes a while longer for factory build vehicles to move onto the normal branches of software updates (about a month after delivery)

Reactions: TresLA and mgs333
V11.4.9 here When I got my YLR about 2 years ago it was truly awful. 1/2 mile down the highway it tried to block a merging vehicle. Finally the car passing me cleared enough that I could jump over into the passing lane, but by then the merging driver was mad enough to be a bit scary. Trying to drive down the highway it would ping pong back and forth between lane lines, sometimes crossing the lines. Phantom braking an average of 12 times per mile. Updates improved the ping-ponging but phantom braking got a little worse. Updates improved the weird headlight action, but broke something else. Fart noises were added, but then the music didn't work any more. Light shows were added, but then the windshield wipers didn't work right any more.

It probably shouldn't come as a surprise that a computer program written by lots of humans would become huge because everything about driving is an edge case. Once the program becomes large, it is impossible to change ANYTHING without it affecting something else, so every update may or may not fix something, but it's going to break something, guaranteed. On the whole, FSD improved slightly for about a year and then for the last year it has gotten steadily worse. Every update has included some deal-stopping problem that should have prevented the release. Finally it has reached the point where someone's best solution is to start over with a whole different approach. Mind blowing? Absolutely, but not quite in the way Tesla meant. This move to NN means the lottery ticket I bought has been switched for a different ticket. I no longer have enough confidence in Tesla to feel good about that.

Give me around 10 updates in a row that only make things worse, then announce a radical new approach will solve everything (in two weeks), then keep moving the goal posts and after waiting for 3 months past the 2 week promise, stop even guessing when, if ever, it will actually start rolling out is not very comforting. I'm not holding out any hope now for ever getting a v12.? I expect something more like, a new program that if you already bought FSD, then you get a $15,000 discount off an Optimus, so for only another $30,000 you can purchase an Optimus who will learn to drive your Tesla and (in only 2 weeks), will drive you from L.A. to NYC, and soonly will make coffee for you too. . . . .

V11.4.9 here When I got my YLR about 2 years ago it was truly awful. 1/2 mile down the highway it tried to block a merging vehicle. Finally the car passing me cleared enough that I could jump over into the passing lane, but by then the merging driver was mad enough to be a bit scary. Trying to drive down the highway it would ping pong back and forth between lane lines, sometimes crossing the lines. Phantom braking an average of 12 times per mile. Updates improved the ping-ponging but phantom braking got a little worse. Updates improved the weird headlight action, but broke something else. Fart noises were added, but then the music didn't work any more. Light shows were added, but then the windshield wipers didn't work right any more.

It probably shouldn't come as a surprise that a computer program written by lots of humans would become huge because everything about driving is an edge case. Once the program becomes large, it is impossible to change ANYTHING without it affecting something else, so every update may or may not fix something, but it's going to break something, guaranteed. On the whole, FSD improved slightly for about a year and then for the last year it has gotten steadily worse. Every update has included some deal-stopping problem that should have prevented the release. Finally it has reached the point where someone's best solution is to start over with a whole different approach. Mind blowing? Absolutely, but not quite in the way Tesla meant. This move to NN means the lottery ticket I bought has been switched for a different ticket. I no longer have enough confidence in Tesla to feel good about that.

Give me around 10 updates in a row that only make things worse, then announce a radical new approach will solve everything (in two weeks), then keep moving the goal posts and after waiting for 3 months past the 2 week promise, stop even guessing when, if ever, it will actually start rolling out is not very comforting. I'm not holding out any hope now for ever getting a v12.? I expect something more like, a new program that if you already bought FSD, then you get a $15,000 discount off an Optimus, so for only another $30,000 you can purchase an Optimus who will learn to drive your Tesla and (in only 2 weeks), will drive you from L.A. to NYC, and soonly will make coffee for you too. . . . .
The biggest problem is that this has never been done before so no one really knows what it takes. It shouldn’t be too surprising that the approach changes, several times, midstream. It seems that the AI end 2 end version is the most promising so far but whether it will result in a true self driving car someday is still unknown. The marketing aspect can be frustrating, I know, but they are marketing something that has never existed before so it is an experiment as well. It will be released to you and everyone else once it has had enough testing to be confident that there aren’t hidden bugs that will endanger people.

Reactions: legendsk
To be honest, I've been really impressed with the 11.whateverihaverightnowsinthechristmasupdate. It's definitely not quite there, but it's close. I'm hoping v12 is a game changer. Have they improved the overly intrusive nagging?

There's really no nagging anymore, hasn't been in quite some time. Just look at the road, and hold the wheel while applying a little bit of torque either counterclockwise or clockwise with one of your hands (my left hand is at 8, and pulls just a little down), and I rarely get nags. Hundred mile trip and I might see 1 nag, and then just move the wheel a tiny bit.

Don't understand people getting tons of nags.

There's really no nagging anymore, hasn't been in quite some time. Just look at the road, and hold the wheel while applying a little bit of torque either counterclockwise or clockwise with one of your hands (my left hand is at 8, and pulls just a little down), and I rarely get nags. Hundred mile trip and I might see 1 nag, and then just move the wheel a tiny bit.

Don't understand people getting tons of nags.
People don't hold the wheel and don't look straight ahead...then get upset when they get nagged.

It's not hands free.

To the original question. V12, currently, nags more than V11 if you aren't holding the wheel and the scroll wheel doesn't satisfy it according to Whole Mars.

I don't get nags when moving at speed, because I hold the wheel and look at the road. I do get nags when I glance at my phone in its charger at a stoplight, or in bumper to bumper traffic. In my opinion, this is an over correction that should be sorted.

I don't get nags when moving at speed, because I hold the wheel and look at the road. I do get nags when I glance at my phone in its charger at a stoplight, or in bumper to bumper traffic. In my opinion, this is an over correction that should be sorted.
That's intentional from Tesla due to incidents and people not paying attention. I would say expect it to get more strict until it's at a level where you don't need to pay attention at all.

Reactions: Ryanflynn
I've heard people mention stop lights. I've never had the system nag at a stop light. I can take my hands off the wheel, look at my phone, etc while stopped at a light. But the moment the light turns green, hands back on the wheel and eyes front.

People are getting torque requests and pay attention alerts while sitting at a red light?

I've heard people mention stop lights. I've never had the system nag at a stop light. I can take my hands off the wheel, look at my phone, etc while stopped at a light. But the moment the light turns green, hands back on the wheel and eyes front.

People are getting torque requests and pay attention alerts while sitting at a red light?
I have before, I think only when at the front of one where cars are crossing in front of me.

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394
But V1 wouldn't do that - right ?
Every version since v10.2 has occasionally run this particular light. I suspect it has to do with the refresh rate. If the led light rate syncs with the camera at the wrong time it might be dark on each frame. The car saw the yellow light clearly so it should know a red light is next whether it sees it or not but perhaps not.

Every version since v10.2 has occasionally run this particular light. I suspect it has to do with the refresh rate. If the led light rate syncs with the camera at the wrong time it might be dark on each frame. The car saw the yellow light clearly so it should know a red light is next whether it sees it or not but perhaps not.
I notice it runs a red light if I’m about to go underneath the bridge and the light is just above it. The camera probably can’t see and FSD ready to make me famous.