Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone find their Model 3 seat very uncomfortable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have picked up my model 3 today and drove for 3.5 hrs. The seats initially are very comfortable however I found that the bottom side of the seats so soft the plastic tray underneath was digging into my hips? Does anyone else find this?

My problem with the seats is that the side seat bolsters are set too narrow for my large body. My hips' bone structure is very likely wider than the "average" driver, me being 6'4" tall. I am NOT overweight, and am not having trouble with muscle mass or fat. It is my hips and pelvis. They sit ON the bolsters, not between them. I am constantly tipping my hips up on one bolster so the other one is in the seat.

And after an hour or so of driving, my sciatic nerve hurts.

I have found that placing a layer of memory foam between the bolsters (I use a folded bathroom rug made of memory foam), I can drive much longer without discomfort.

But I wish Tesla had designed their new seats for something a little bigger than the "average" driver.

I have picked up my model 3 today and drove for 3.5 hrs. The seats initially are very comfortable however I found that the bottom side of the seats so soft the plastic tray underneath was digging into my hips? Does anyone else find this?

Same issue. Noticed in all my friends M3. Also noted in my dealer M3 drived. And likewise every day I drive the M3 I purchased.

Not something I'm happy with. Didn't notice same issue with MS. Also don't have the problem in other cars, specifically my Audi 4 and 7 series cars.

Living with it. Hope it works it's way out.

My problem with the seats is that the side seat bolsters are set too narrow for my large body. My hips' bone structure is very likely wider than the "average" driver, me being 6'4" tall. I am NOT overweight, and am not having trouble with muscle mass or fat. It is my hips and pelvis. They sit ON the bolsters, not between them. I am constantly tipping my hips up on one bolster so the other one is in the seat.

Almost exactly word for word. Except I'm 6'2".

Not happy about it, but glad there are others that feel as i do. There is cushion, but the shape / ergonomics seem absolutely horrible to me. i'm 6' 160. i long for a straighter back, not the curved "S" of how the seats seemed to be designed. i want a 3 or Y badly, but until i find a solution, just can't do it. Might they ever just go with one of the standard seat manufacturers. Or am i stuck getting a Rivian in a year? :(

I'm 6' 2" and was very surprised to find the head rests are higher than my head and tip forward enough for me to easily reach them.
Maybe because I used to be reletively slim (although with a paunch these days!) that the seat fits me like a glove.

I'm 6' 4" and not fat but I have fairly wide hips & a 37" waist and find the seats lovely & comfortable. The only thing I miss about them after my bmw 3 series is the lack of bolster adjustment, I'd like to bring them in a little.

If you dwarves are having trouble in the 3 then I wouldn't stand a chance. The S could do with more adjustment on the lumbar support and a headrest adjustment forwards to make up for having to recline the seat. Toyota are the only brand that consistently provides room for the 'taller gent'

I have found that placing a layer of memory foam between the bolsters (I use a folded bathroom rug made of memory foam), I can drive much longer without discomfort.

But I wish Tesla had designed their new seats for something a little bigger than the "average" driver.

got the same issue at 185cm 80kg. the lack of extendable thigh support is also not ideal. The seat is too cushioned in the front which causes posterior thigh pain. the issue can somewhat be mediated by sitting on top of a small folded towel or using a triangular pillow.

got the same issue at 185cm 80kg. the lack of extendable thigh support is also not ideal. The seat is too cushioned in the front which causes posterior thigh pain. the issue can somewhat be mediated by sitting on top of a small folded towel or using a triangular pillow.

Try raising the seat until the top edge of your interior mirror is level with the top edge of the rear window & adjust the seat rake so that your under thighs rest on the seat front. This setting also has the benefit of enabling you to see the front of cars up close to your rear.
That works for my long legs. My bmw had a adjustable front seat extension which i missed at first but those setting work for me now.

I find that the heated seats are great but the side bolsters are cold, as they’re not heated. So on particularly cold days, wearing jeans, it feels like I’m wearing wet cold trousers or maybe it’s because I’ve wet myself.
I was too scared to mention this before at the risk of sounding insane so I'm glad you did first! Yes - On a cold day I frequently check the side of my legs to work out what liquid I've spilled in the seat.

Try raising the seat until the top edge of your interior mirror is level with the top edge of the rear window & adjust the seat rake so that your under thighs rest on the seat front. This setting also has the benefit of enabling you to see the front of cars up close to your rear.
That works for my long legs. My bmw had a adjustable front seat extension which i missed at first but those setting work for me now.

I'll try that. I actually used to sit quite low but I have put my seat up much higher as that sort of helps with the long legs i guess.
interior mirror you mean the vanity mirror? top edge of rear window you mean where the tint starts for the rear window?

How much pressure do you get your seat edge to apply to your thighs?

I'll try that. I actually used to sit quite low but I have put my seat up much higher as that sort of helps with the long legs i guess.
interior mirror you mean the vanity mirror? top edge of rear window you mean where the tint starts for the rear window?

How much pressure do you get your seat edge to apply to your thighs?

I should have said adjust the rake first so that your legs are supported then raise the seat (you will/may have to raise the steering wheel) until your view though the rear view mirror top edge view is level with the top edge view of the rear window. Then adjust lumber etc to suit.
This gives me good support and an improved view through the rear window.
PS I'm 6' 4" with a 36" inside leg.

I'm apparently the only bigger guy here, admittedly I've only test drove for around 3 hours as my car hasn't arrived yet, but I found the seats comfortable enough. I'm also tall and find the head room brilliant, in some cars my head hits the roof