Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone know if, as of the latest update, whether use of a defeat device automatically gives a strike, or do you get a warning first?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you don’t use a Cheat device it won’t matter. Just a thought.
I'm going to keep using a defeat device regardless of how it makes you feel. Tens of thousands of people use one. Not a single accident. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill because you get an immense amount of satisfaction and a sense of productivity playing the moral superiority card.

I'm going to keep using a defeat device regardless of how it makes you feel. Tens of thousands of people use one. Not a single accident. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill because you get an immense amount of satisfaction and a sense of productivity playing the moral superiority card.
I actually didn’t share how I feel as that is irreverent. I offered a suggestion. Would however Love to see your data proven volume and Not an accident lol.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Trying to dissuade someone from using a device designed to defeat safety features in a public environment is literally morally superior. As in, the position is derived from superior morals.

Do what you like on private ground, but on public roads you have a moral responsibility to other road users. Just a thought.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Confirming this is wrong.

I received an audio and visual cue to remove the defeat device. It was not an instant strike or AP jail.
Your experience is not consistent with many others, including myself.

Seems there are variables our guessing has not yet reconciled, like wipers or headlights or adjusting volume on nags or many other features that are different from car to car.

Unless you are suggesting about the below involved in some kind of weird conspiracy. But a strike without warning due to a perceived cheat device is most certainly real under many circumstances.

I’ve gotten 2 disengagements!
One in morning, glanced at screen to see chargers level at destination with no warning visual or audio at all and red disengagement!

4 suddenly forced AP disengagement (red steering wheel on screen) prior to that, no warning at all.

I received two strikes without any warning

I think no-warning strikes are real

I even turned off FSDb after these no-warning disconnects

it’s an example of receiving the scary big red wheel not preceded by a warning

that there are now disconnects without warning

I also received two disengagements with no audio warning,

No warnings what so ever.

I don’t get any audio signal until the final red disengagement screen.

about the below involved in some kind of weird conspiracy.
Just want to point out that my comment that you quoted was based on a version 10.69.3.1 prior to the Christmas releases (i.e.not a .25 release). These .25 releases changed the behavior (no idea how, but it is different - for one I think it explicitly mentions the defeat device at the disengagement - I don’t think 10.69.3.1 did though I could be wrong ).

There were verified experiments in a version prior to December, 10.69.3.1, which ended up in “no-warning” strikes (it nagged (not about defeat device), nags were satisfied with scroll wheels, and then after 10 minutes of that, a strike was delivered). Can review the detailed posts where this was carefully tested by a helpful member of the forum - Autopilot buddy code is changed?

Those no-warning strikes were the ones I was referring to. No idea what the situation is with 10.69.25.1 (2022.44.30.5) or .2 (2022.44.30.10) or whatever.

There were verified experiments in a version prior to December, 10.69.3.1, which ended up in “no-warning” strikes (it nagged (not about defeat device), nags were satisfied with scroll wheels, and then after 10 minutes of that, a strike was delivered). Can review the detailed posts where this was carefully tested by a helpful member of the forum - Autopilot buddy code is changed?
That's not exactly right. With that software version, if the assumption was that of using a nag cheater, there were no nags at all until precisely 10 minutes and then there was a no-warning disconnect/strike. Meaning the part about nags and being satisfied with the scroll wheel during that 10 minutes are not correct. Precisely the opposite. But you understood that in your responses on the post you link.

• Helpful
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
That's not exactly right. With that software version, if the assumption was that of using a nag cheater, there were no nags at all until precisely 10 minutes and then there was a no-warning disconnect/strike. Meaning the part about nags and being satisfied with the scroll wheel during that 10 minutes are not correct. Precisely the opposite.
I can only go by what was reported in the referenced thread. I did not test this myself. That thread clearly indicates (with his particular test weight) that nags to apply torque were received.

Now, it is possible his weight was not heavy enough, since it was not an official defeat device, and what he was really testing was the insufficiency of scroll wheel nag dismissal (10 minutes of dismissing nags with scroll wheels leads to a strike would be the implication). You’d have to reread the several posts to determine whether that is possible.

(If so, that could mean that your observation is wholly consistent with his observations.)

Since the Driving Score is no longer accessible, how can you check the number of strikes you may have?
Could you lose FSD usage then? If so, would there be a duration for this punishment?

In fact, when driving in heavy traffic, like in LA where you often need​
to change lane to exit or merge from one freeway to another,​
you often don't have too much chance to look at the dispaly,​
while staying focused looking at the cars in front and around you.​
In this situation you could miss the flashing blue warning,​
so I prefer then to disengage FSD but this defeat the full purpose of having FSD !!!!​

Last edited:
Alan, go back and read your own response on the post you linked. You understood and acknowledged exactly what I am saying, which is in fact the truth.

This is what I said, which is not what you are saying:

So with a wheel weight, you'll get a strike after 10 minutes if you don't apply torque manually, no matter what you do with the buttons/scroll wheels, and stalks.

But I now see what you are saying - you are correct. The tester was trying to determine whether scroll wheels would “fix” the issue - not to dismiss nags. So I was wrong about that.

So in that case, on that software, there were no nags at all. As you said two posts above. You are correct.

Anyway this is inconsequential to the discussion here. Just clarifying what I was quoted on, which I pointed out is not relevant to this discussion.

Reactions: PACEMD
Since the Driving Score is no longer accessible, how can you check the number of strikes you may have?
Could you lose FSD usage then? If so, would there be a duration for this punishment?

In fact, when driving in heavy traffic, like in LA where you often need​
to change lane to exit or merge from one freeway to another,​
you often don't have too much chance to look at the dispaly,​
while staying focused looking at the cars in front and around you.​
In this situation you could miss the flashing blue warning,​
so I prefer then to disengage FSD but this defeat the full purpose of having FSD !!!!​
Yes it is noted in the car where FSD is enabled. Says how many and how many left. If you get to the last strike you get locked out for an unknown period. They recently claimed 2 plus weeks but I haven’t seen that confirmed.

Reactions: Watts_Up