Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone with AP1 (or pre-AP1) have got any 2019 software updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can say that the first V9 I received in Nov of last year fixed a cold feet problem I had since day 1 and then it was broken again in 2018.48.12.1 in December and then seemed to be fixed again with 2018.50.6. But that version has a real problem controlling outside air and the AC when temps are below 40F and it's humid. No way to test this scenario again until next winter so who knows if they fixed it or not.

It's almost like we need a checklist to pick your favorite problems from and then hone in on the firmware with the highest priority items not broken.

While the media player has been borked since December of 2016 (I did some USB hacking to overcome my biggest issue of no album artists) I am thinking now I can live with 2018.50.6 so I'm just going to chill and monitor this thread for feedback.

Anyway let's face it: We (AP1) aren't getting any more updates.

I've been thinking and I am legitimately curious: why would anyone buy an AP1/MCU1 Tesla at this point? Ironically, I just did it 6 months ago and I regret it and will probably just sell it soon. Especially combined with the terribleness of MCU1 that will most likely never get upgraded to MCU2. To me, these cars are almost worthless now. It's like buying an Iphone 5 at this point. I am really open to counter arguments.

• Disagree
Reactions: rsg123
Why would anyone buy an AP1/MCU1 Tesla at this point? Ironically, I just did it 6 months ago and I regret it and will probably just sell it soon.

can u tell us a bit more why u want to sell? as much as I want the extra range.. I am not willing to give up my Pano Roof and I am reluctant to give up free SCing for life.. even tho it really doesn't add much to my bottom line...

on another note:

are AP1 cars getting dog mode? I have doggies and this would be very useful, and very, very welcome as a feature for me.

can u tell us a bit more why u want to sell? as much as I want the extra range.. I am not willing to give up my Pano Roof and I am reluctant to give up free SCing for life.. even tho it really doesn't add much to my bottom line...

on another note:

are AP1 cars getting dog mode? I have doggies and this would be very useful, and very, very welcome as a feature for me.

Yes got dog mode on 19.8.3 on 2015 85D

on another note:

I honestly thought that not having latest and greatest won't bother me, but with the new long range update and this new FSD computer (even though I am still very skeptical about their FSD claims and promises) I am not so happy to be stuck on AP1 and a slow MCU anymore. Combined with the fact that Tesla most likely won't offer MCU2 upgrades for AP1 owners and MCU1 just sucks (yes, I tried to talk myself into believing it's fine) just makes this car I have very disappointing.

Pano roof has been just a headache for me, producing random noises that the SC refuses to fix. I am never, ever getting it again. Free supercharging doesn't mean as much as I thought it would to me.

So, when I look at it from that perspective, why would anyone buy an AP1 car without a path to upgrade the MCU is a question I can't find a good answer to.

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000
I've been thinking and I am legitimately curious: why would anyone buy an AP1/MCU1 Tesla at this point? Ironically, I just did it 6 months ago and I regret it and will probably just sell it soon. Especially combined with the terribleness of MCU1 that will most likely never get upgraded to MCU2. To me, these cars are almost worthless now. It's like buying an Iphone 5 at this point. I am really open to counter arguments.
The counter argument is that for someone who likes to drive their car, and doesn't care very much about the performance of web browsing or any other technological driving distractions, AP1/MCU1 cars like my early 2015 P85D can be really great cars. I just got back from a twisty road drive on a beautiful spring day in rural Virginia and it was delightful. Stiff suspension. 21" Pilot Super Sports. Recaro seats. What more can you ask for?

The counter argument is that for someone who likes to drive their car, and doesn't care very much about the performance of web browsing or any other technological driving distractions, AP1/MCU1 cars like my early 2015 P85D can be really great cars. I just got back from a twisty road drive on a beautiful spring day in rural Virginia and it was delightful. Stiff suspension. 21" Pilot Super Sports. Recaro seats. What more can you ask for?

Totally reasonable. I am unfortunately not satisfied with just those in a car like this, even though I thought I would be. I am embarrassed to demo the map to friends when they ride with me since it's so slow. Ah...

new long range update
Which will probably get blown away within 6-12 months with newer cells and architecture. They just swapped out the front motors and did nothing to the batteries in the newest models.
new FSD computer (even though I am still very skeptical about their FSD claims and promises)
This

We were promised the exact same things back in 2016 and they even had a demo.

If you bought your car 6 months ago used it might be worthwhile to try to sell is as the value probably has not depreciated much. However if you bought brand new then you are going to take a huge hit for not a lot of gain IMHO, unless you truly want and believe in Tesla's FSD capabilities and claims. I never use the lane keeping feature in my AP1 car and the only thing out of the new cars I would like to have is better blind area alerts.

Which will probably get blown away within 6-12 months with newer cells and architecture. They just swapped out the front motors and did nothing to the batteries in the newest models.

... If you bought your car 6 months ago used it might be worthwhile to try to sell is as the value probably has not depreciated much. However if you bought brand new then you are going to take a huge hit for not a lot of gain IMHO ...

I agree and in particular, if you're thinking of selling your AP1/MCU1 car to get what's new, my advice is to wait about three months. It's pretty clear that the Model S update the other day was just a downpayment. People like @verygreen found that more is coming by examining firmware code. There are also intersecting datapoints implying that an interior refresh will ship during next quarter. @darxsys, think of how you'd feel if you sold and bought the currently latest thing, just to be superseded later this summer by the first substantial interior refresh in the history of the MS.

Reactions: darxsys
Totally reasonable. I am unfortunately not satisfied with just those in a car like this, even though I thought I would be. I am embarrassed to demo the map to friends when they ride with me since it's so slow. Ah...

I don’t get this. My maps are not slow at all; not lightening fast like a 2018 car, but I wouldn’t call under 2 seconds slow.

I think - being an owner of less than two weeks - that slowness of maps refresh is a 3G issue, not MCU. If you are on WiFI by your house or other hotspot, is there any difference in maps?
I think you're right. On WiFi , my maps load fairly quickly, but when I'm on 3G, each tile can be painfully slow to load, depending on the 3G coverage. Loaners with LTE have never had the same issue from what I've personally experienced.