Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone with AP1 (or pre-AP1) have got any 2019 software updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The latest firmware going wide (2019.8.3) is compatible but Tesla has to push it and they don't seem to care to push it (AP1 and pre-AP can still get dog mode and the mirror geo feature. Frankly there is always the risk of additional bugs, so weigh whether those new features are worth the risk.

Or "features". I happened to see the following thread just before catching up on this one. I suspect it doesn't apply to our ancient AP1 cars, but it put me in a certain frame of mind.

"Fleet Speed" (mis-)feature in 2019.8.6+

Still on 2018.50.6 on my S85D. Honestly I could live without any of the new features (I don't own a dog, and my garage has plenty of space so I don't worry about my mirrors), so at this point I'm quite content with the software that's on my car right now. If I were offered a software update, in absence of any other information, I'm not sure if I'd take it or not.

Bruce.

PS. Now if there were an update that restored the green traffic lines on the nav or fixed the media player, that might tempt me.

Same here I'm running a 2012 Signature S85 and I'm stuck on 2018. 50. 6 "have been forever"

probably the only thing that I would gain out of any of the 2019 updates would be the dog mode which I would like to have just to display the message on the screen otherwise it's not that much different than cabin overheat protection or just setting my HVAC to remain on while I'm out of the car.

Yup; check out my comments in the thread above by @BerTX ; you're not missing much.

Last edited:
.....and my garage has plenty of space so I don't worry about my mirrors).

Yeah, I haven't even tried this mirror trick, and don't think I will ever need to.

I honestly think that is for the Tesla employees in Vancouver service centre, who are parking dozens of Teslas in their underground each day, which have to get squeezed between multiply concrete pillars with about 1 inch of clearance on each side. Having the mirrors fold in automatically instead of them manually hitting the buttons each time must save them 30 seconds of precious time per day per driver :)

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 5.45.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 5.45.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 5.42.38 PM.png

You guys with AP1 who have received 2019.8.x, any fix for the MCU performance issues resulted in the 2018.50.6, like letters/numbers missing, super slow touchscreen performance, etc.?
Based on what I've been reading here, I thought the problem was the other way around. Seems like most of the complaints are related to 2019.x on MCU1. Subsequently, I have not really been really looking for an update until I hear the bugs are worked out in a subsequent release.

Based on what I've been reading here, I thought the problem was the other way around. Seems like most of the complaints are related to 2019.x on MCU1. Subsequently, I have not really been really looking for an update until I hear the bugs are worked out in a subsequent release.

I'm at 2018.5.6 and experience all these issues. Looks like the problems are even more drastic in 2019.x, where random reboots are reported. I do not have random reboot issue (not yet ;) ), but definitely have letters/numbers missing on various screens in addition to broken browser and supper sluggish MCU responsiveness, which started to show up after the dreaded v9 upgrade.

I received the 19.12.1 last night. Few areas of improvement I've noticed today: faster supercharging and smoother autosteering on autopilot.
2016 AP1

Attachments

• 85AEF780-520D-46AF-BA77-D2F6FC8749CA.png
    85AEF780-520D-46AF-BA77-D2F6FC8749CA.png
    1,016.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 45187F94-102C-4021-B1EC-57B34D6B005A.jpeg
    45187F94-102C-4021-B1EC-57B34D6B005A.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 72
Or "features". I happened to see the following thread just before catching up on this one. I suspect it doesn't apply to our ancient AP1 cars, but it put me in a certain frame of mind.

"Fleet Speed" (mis-)feature in 2019.8.6+

Still on 2018.50.6 on my S85D. Honestly I could live without any of the new features (I don't own a dog, and my garage has plenty of space so I don't worry about my mirrors), so at this point I'm quite content with the software that's on my car right now. If I were offered a software update, in absence of any other information, I'm not sure if I'd take it or not.

Bruce.

PS. Now if there were an update that restored the green traffic lines on the nav or fixed the media player, that might tempt me.

In a thread a few months ago, I was told that newer firmware took away one or both of my biggest recent AP annoyances. I'd update for the chance of that alone unless there's data suggesting there's a specific problem with the newer firmware.

Last fall, a firmware update changed it so when you override with the steering wheel, it sets the TACC speed to your current speed.

Possibly even more annoying in my experience, they also added a logic that if one car cuts in in front of you and AP sees a car in front of them, it assumes that car will also cut in for about ten seconds.

Since safe AP following distances are longer than mossy of the unsafe drivers on my commute, it isn't uncommon for me to have some idiot that's weaving his way through traffic decide to dive into the space in front of me just before I pass the guy in front of him in his lane - at which point the car slows down enough to leave the guy I was passing a safe space to move in to.

In a thread a few months ago, I was told that newer firmware took away one or both of my biggest recent AP annoyances. I'd update for the chance of that alone unless there's data suggesting there's a specific problem with the newer firmware.

Last fall, a firmware update changed it so when you override with the steering wheel, it sets the TACC speed to your current speed.

Possibly even more annoying in my experience, they also added a logic that if one car cuts in in front of you and AP sees a car in front of them, it assumes that car will also cut in for about ten seconds.

Since safe AP following distances are longer than mossy of the unsafe drivers on my commute, it isn't uncommon for me to have some idiot that's weaving his way through traffic decide to dive into the space in front of me just before I pass the guy in front of him in his lane - at which point the car slows down enough to leave the guy I was passing a safe space to move in to.

Fair enough...those are good points, and I guess if those bugs affected me on a significant basis, that would probably increase my desire to pick up newer software.

Bruce.

Still rocking FW 2018.36.2 and still loving it on my preAP S85, the more I see in all the updates since my version the less inclined I am to ever update again.
This is the .very. .last. 8.1.

I'll soon upgrade to 18.28.5 (like sorka), but it is good to know that 18.36.2 is good as that will be my last firmware update in this car.

Don't want no v9 and I am capable of being happy indefinitely with firmware that is solid, non-pestering, and set exactly like I want it.

Reactions: thecloud