Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Autopilot work better with LTE than 3G?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since there may be some additional data downloaded by Autopilot such as their high precision maps, does anyone know if the faster speed of LTE improves Autopilot performance with regard to proper paths and/or quicker reaction time?

Last edited:
Even if there's such additional data downloaded for the sake of Autopilot, it's not going to happen, in all likelihood, in real-time for a specific area as you actually drive through there. Any such data downloads will most likely happen - preferably over WiFi - while your car's snoring in your garage.

If you are on 3G and are considering an upgrade to LTE, there are many other reasons to fork out the $500. Coverage is better, Slacker loads much faster, maps are a bit better and so on. Just got the upgrade myself today and am loving it.

If you are on 3G and are considering an upgrade to LTE, there are many other reasons to fork out the $500. Coverage is better, Slacker loads much faster, maps are a bit better and so on. Just got the upgrade myself today and am loving it.
If you are only going to get one upgrade, this is the one to get--at least until a much longer range battery comes out.

I would be shocked if you had to have cell signal to use autopilot. And almost as shocked if it relied on any transferring through the cell signal for real time processing of autopilot decisions. It must be all internal to the car.
-m