Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does FSD Beta use the steering wheel or the interior camera to know if youre paying attention?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have and use FSD Beta all the time. My cabin camera has never worked, it says so every morning. Out of the blue last week the whole autopilot affair went nuts. It started alerting to "pay attention to the road". Nothing would satisfy it. I couldn't use Autopilot at all. Putting the dog in the driver's seat, with his red carpool cap, his Covid mask, and his leash tied to the steering wheel, didn't help either. Double tap down and the avalanche of warnings would begin, finally ending in my one and only FSD Strike. Humiliation. Fear of losing the Beta.

Losing FSD Beta would be intolerable. I have a "condition" that qualifies me for blue plates, so driving in manual is a quadruple misery. Stone age. Absurd. No fun. Hazardous. Newly handicapped Nicki and I together nearly ran over some pedestrians in the front blind spot to prove it.

We were 200 miles from home, so my usual happy FSD Beta drive had to be surrendered to my wife, who doesn't mind driving in manual. I got a hold of Tesla on the phone and they squeezed me in for an appointment near home the next day. Service was great, they replaced the camera under warranty, on a weekend, yet. Everything works fine again, except the dog now keeps demanding to drive all the time.
I’m sorry it went nuts on you, glad it got fixed, glad you had a good experience and laughing at your dog!

I don't know, but I can't imagine my ever feeling comfortable with a car that is watching and recording me constantly. I saw that in a movie once and it didn't work out well. Try a piece of tape over the eye (camera) and see if it complains.

I don't know, but I can't imagine my ever feeling comfortable with a car that is watching and recording me constantly. I saw that in a movie once and it didn't work out well. Try a piece of tape over the eye (camera) and see if it complains.
It is not recording nor is it "watching" since the implies a human type emotion. It is just algorithms monitoring the pixels for predefined patterns.

EDIT: "Camera images do not leave the vehicle, which means the system cannot save or transmit information..."

Just to add do you feel comfortable with your cell phone always knowing where you are while monitoring all your activities, transactions and events?

IMG_0008.jpeg

Last edited:
EDIT: "Camera images do not leave the vehicle, which means the system cannot save or transmit information..."
Is there a reason that you left off the second clause of this sentence, where the camera images can be sent to Tesla if you enable data sharing? So, obviously, the car is capable of saving and transmitting cabin video.

And, if you use FSD beta, you must enable data sharing.

Is there a reason that you left off the second clause of this sentence, where the camera images can be sent to Tesla if you enable data sharing? So, obviously, the car is capable of saving and transmitting cabin video.

FSDb shares camera and telemetry data related to disengagements. Tesla states that cabin camera data does not leave the vehicle. It’s of course possible for the car to send data from the cabin camera. Just like it’s possible that Jeff Bezos is using Alexa mics to listen in to everyone’s home conversation and Samsung is selling tracking data from all it’s cell phones. I haven’t seen any evidence of this and at some point you need to actually trust that companies are doing what they say they are doing. If you don’t you need to get rid of your Tesla.

"Data Sharing: Tesla enables you to control what you share. Within your vehicle’s touchscreen you may enable or disable the collection of certain vehicle data (Software > Data Sharing), including Autopilot Analytics & Improvements and Road Segment Data Analytics. If you choose to enabled data sharing, your vehicle may collect the data and make it available to Tesla for analysis. This analysis helps Tesla improve its products, features, and diagnose problems quicker. The collected information is not linked to your account or VIN and does not identify you personally. Depending on your selections, analytics may include details about your vehicle, its configuration, performance, software version, and short video clips or images. In order to protect your privacy, personal data is either not logged at all, is subject to privacy preserving techniques, or is removed from any reports before they’re sent to Tesla."

FSDb shares camera and telemetry data related to disengagements. Tesla states that cabin camera data does not leave the vehicle. It’s of course possible for the car to send data from the cabin camera. Just like it’s possible that Jeff Bezos is using Alexa mics to listen in to everyone’s home conversation and Samsung is selling tracking data from all it’s cell phones. I haven’t seen any evidence of this and at some point you need to actually trust that companies are doing what they say they are doing. If you don’t you need to get rid of your Tesla.
You seem to be a bit touchy, here. All I did was reference the car's screenshot posted earlier that states that camera images can leave the car if you have enabled data sharing. Tesla does not specifically state here under what conditions that cabin video data might get sent to them. One might expect that Tesla might access cabin video to help improve it's face tracking under FSD beta. And despite what Tesla may say about car data not including personal data, sending images of faces is sort of personal, eh?

Unless the cabin camera is physically separated from any pathway to the car's offboard networking, it is possible for the video to get out of the car - potentially without Tesla's knowledge. And a physical separation would make it impossible for the face detection system to be updated over the air, so that's not going to be the case.

I'm not worried about it one way or the other. But there have been discussions here by those who are. For the most part, until cars go full on L4/L5 autonomous, face tracking is going to be a part of the feature set of vehicles with ADAS systems.

Reactions: trisk
You seem to be a bit touchy, here. All I did was reference the car's screenshot posted earlier that states that camera images can leave the car if you have enabled data sharing. Tesla does not specifically state here under what conditions that cabin video data might get sent to them. One might expect that Tesla might access cabin video to help improve it's face tracking under FSD beta. And despite what Tesla may say about car data not including personal data, sending images of faces is sort of personal, eh?

Unless the cabin camera is physically separated from any pathway to the car's offboard networking, it is possible for the video to get out of the car - potentially without Tesla's knowledge. And a physical separation would make it impossible for the face detection system to be updated over the air, so that's not going to be the case.

I'm not worried about it one way or the other. But there have been discussions here by those who are. For the most part, until cars go full on L4/L5 autonomous, face tracking is going to be a part of the feature set of vehicles with ADAS systems.
No, not touchy at all - I really don’t care about the cabin camera, except that I wish Tesla would actually use it for some benefit. As it is, it nags you for not paying attention but if you are paying attention you still need to tug the steering wheel. Essentially it’s a negative with no positive.

Reactions: GalacticHero