Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does premium package have xm sirius radio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have an MS with pano roof so I know we are able to add SiriusXM at some point but think I remember that the glass roof version of the car doesn't have that option do to the structure of the roof. Is the Model 3's glass roof designed to allow for SiriusXM?

I had assumed it would have XM (my MS does) but i’m starting to think that it isn’t included. Before I picked up my Model 3 I received an the following email from Tesla describing the features that were already enabled and the features that were not enabled. XM isn’t listed on either list. The email received is below:

Congratulations on purchasing your Model 3 and thank you for helping us accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy.

Here are a list of items to bring with you on January 22nd at 11:00 AM

What they need to bring:

1. Driver’s License

2. Proof of Insurance with Model 3 on policy

3. Bank Check (Beneficiary Name: Tesla Motors Inc.) and Bank certified check for remaining balance (If Applicable)

4. You and your co-registrant (If Applicable)

*We do NOT accept credit card for final payments*

Here are the current enabled features:

• FM RADIO

• TRIP ODOMETERS

• AUDIO EQUALIZER

• BLUETOOTH MEDIA

• VOICE COMMANDS

• HOMELINK

• MIRROR AUTO TILT

• DRIVERS PROFILES

• PUBLIC MOBILE APP COMPATIBILITY

• STREAMING RADIO

• PHONE APP

• AUTOPARK

• TOW/TRANSPORT MODE

• NAVIGATION UPDATES

• HEADLIGHTS ILLUMINATES

• INTUITIVE VISUAL CONTROLS FOR DIRECTING CABIN AIRFLOW

• TIRE PRESSURE, SEATBELT STATUSES, AND TRIP SUMMARIES ON DEMAOND

Not enabled (Will be enabled soon via over the air updates)

• WIFI

• CALENDAR

• AUTOMATIC EMERGENCY BRAKING

• AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM HEADLIGHTS

• AUTOMATIC WINDSHIELD WIPERS

• SUMMON

• ON-SCREEN OWNERS MANUAL

• SOFTWARE UPDATE RELEASE NOTES

• REAR HEATED SEAT CONTROLS

• CHAdeMO COMPATIBILITY

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

I've been studying how I might rig up an aftermarket SiriusXM setup. The trunklid will make this a challenge (as that seems to be the only place I can mount the antenna), but the clean dashboard should make it pretty easy to install an Onyx+ receiver with car-kit and keep the wires tidy.

I have a lifetime subscription that I can transfer so this *does* matter to me.

I've been studying how I might rig up an aftermarket SiriusXM setup. The trunklid will make this a challenge (as that seems to be the only place I can mount the antenna), but the clean dashboard should make it pretty easy to install an Onyx+ receiver with car-kit and keep the wires tidy.

Keep us updated on how you get SiriusXM installed, I am trying to figure out how I am going to get it installed in mine as well once I get my car that is.

thanks for the replies. I have decided to do the following when i get my 3 in a few weeks:
Use my phone to stream thru bluetooth for the two howard stern channels. (need to change to att unlimited data).
Get slacker premium so i won't have commercials. Program in all the slacker channels that are comparable to my sirius music channels, i.e jam bands, 80's alternative for 1st wave, classic rock for deep tracks etc.
I am going to miss my pearl jam and grateful dead channels but i really don't want to start messing around with wiring an xm receiver. I don't want to take away from the minimalistic interior.

I was totally pissed at Tesla but then I read that article about the customer with cancer and what they did for him and it put everything in perspective.

I've listened to tons of radio stations all over the world thru TuneIn which is included on the MS as a streaming service. Currently glued to GDRadio stream for complete Grateful Dead live shows.

Are the shock jocks and sportsball contests not broadcast live on radio stations that stream on TuneIn? Or is TuneIn not a part of the M3 stream kit?

I'm in the same boat, with a lifetime sub and REALLY disappointed that there is no factor option for SiriusXM. One thing yu might want to check on before going through all of this effort is if Sirius will even let you transfer the Lifetime to the Onyx hardware. My understanding was that mos lifetime subs could only be transferred to OEM installed radios, not the aftermarket hardware, but that may have changes as it's been a few years since I had to do a hardware swap.

As you planning to do this via bluetooth as my understanding is that there is no aux in on the M3 stereo, another disappointing limitation. Please do keep us posted on your progress/success as i'm pretty frustrated that the M3 is basically the only major vehicle in production that doesn't offer some kind of Sirius integration option.

Actually, the rule in place when I got my lifetime subscription was that I could have 3 transfers, lifetime, at a cost of $75 each. I can only transfer from a 'portable' tuner - and the external tuner to the Pioneer AVIC head-end in my Camry qualifies as one. As long as I keep doing it to PORTABLE radios, I'm ok. If I transfer it to an OEM tuner, that's the last transfer I can do, regardless of how many I have left. Also, replacements for broken or stolen radios don't count against my total.

The subscription transfers (number and to what you can transfer to) varies by when you bought the original lifetime subscription. I have 4 subscriptions that I bought at different times. The earliest ones can be transferred an unlimited number of times. Later subscriptions are limited to three times although the "once its no longer in a portable radio and cannot be transferred again) also applies differently based on when the subscription was purchased. In addition, any lifetime subscription can be upgraded to premier (all XM and Sirius channels) for a one time fee in addition to the $75.00 charge. If you call listener care they can tell you the status of your subscription in regard to transfers.

We have an MS with pano roof so I know we are able to add SiriusXM at some point but think I remember that the glass roof version of the car doesn't have that option do to the structure of the roof. Is the Model 3's glass roof designed to allow for SiriusXM?
We have a glass roof on both cars and I can’t imagine Sirius XM is possible on the 3 when it isn’t on the S. I wouldn’t care but streaming on my month old 3 has been horrible and today I couldn’t make hands free cellphone calls either for about an hour. Between the fit and finish issues we have experienced and these latest bugs, I am beginning to believe getting a full tax credit wasn't worth the early build issues. But ask me next week and I may have a different viewpoint. The car is a blast but I tend to think it needed another 6 months to get the bugs out.