Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does sentry and dashcam record on AP2 and MCU1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP2 sadly still doesn't (and perhaps never will) offer USB support. You need AP2.5 or later.

Anyone know if getting the AP3 hardware upgrade makes USB recording start working? The cameras could output a funny color, be great even if they convert it to black&white.

AP2 sadly still doesn't (and perhaps never will) offer USB support. You need AP2.5 or later.

Anyone know if getting the AP3 hardware upgrade makes USB recording start working? The cameras could output a funny color, be great even if they convert it to black&white.

The cameras themselves are different on AP2 cars as well. The FSD upgrade only upgrades the MCU; which from what I've heard so far isn't compatable with AP2 cars. It's looking more and more that AP2 will be "feature-complete" for FSD via software instead of hardware. There are things that we don't have on AP2s (ie dash cam, sentry recording) but FSD specific features have been available w/o AP2.5 or AP3.0 hardware. (ie, smart summon, navigate on autopilot)

The cameras themselves are different on AP2 cars as well. The FSD upgrade only upgrades the MCU; which from what I've heard so far isn't compatable with AP2 cars. It's looking more and more that AP2 will be "feature-complete" for FSD via software instead of hardware. There are things that we don't have on AP2s (ie dash cam, sentry recording) but FSD specific features have been available w/o AP2.5 or AP3.0 hardware. (ie, smart summon, navigate on autopilot)
The FSD upgrade does not upgrade the MCU (which has its own computer), although that would be nice! The FSD upgrade is for the AP3 computer only. If you want Dash cam and sentry, you need not only a new MCU2 (touch screen+computer) but also new cameras and new wiring, and that's not going to happen according to Elon.

don't need mcu2 for dashcam and sentry mode.

in fact sentry mode works on hw2.0 even, it jsut does not record any videos but you still get the "events happened" that you can then check on your 3rd party dashcam you have no doubts installed long ago anyway
My understanding is that not only does Sentry Mode work as your describe, it also activates switched power, so even people who've installed an aftermarket dash cam without parking mode might get video of an event if it boots fast enough.

Last edited:
My understanding is that not only does Sentry Mode work as your describe, it also activates switched power, so even people who've installed an aftermarket dash cam without parking mode might get video of an event if it boots fast enough.

I can confirm this, I have a front facing dash cam on my AP2. When Sentry kicks on, it activates the 12v in the mirror so it will record.

Nobody is arguing that base functionality can one achieved; but the reality is that you'll spend almost $1000 if you want the same coverage that comes with the Model X's rolling off the line. Not to mention it won't have a clean integrated look. One could argue that you could buy a seat heater kit, rip apart the rear seats and install heated seats if you didn't have the subzero package. Would work? Yes. But it wouldn't be the same

I can confirm this, I have a front facing dash cam on my AP2. When Sentry kicks on, it activates the 12v in the mirror so it will record.

Nobody is arguing that base functionality can one achieved; but the reality is that you'll spend almost $1000 if you want the same coverage that comes with the Model X's rolling off the line. Not to mention it won't have a clean integrated look. One could argue that you could buy a seat heater kit, rip apart the rear seats and install heated seats if you didn't have the subzero package. Would work? Yes. But it wouldn't be the same

Yeah, but let's face it. Nobody ever said every Tesla would get every future feature. Sure, it'd be nice, but even my 2016 AP2 Model X has improved through OTA updates than any other car I've owned, even without dash cam, full sentry functionality, theater and advanced games. It's been perfectly clear since Tesla first added AP1 to the Model S that some future features were going to be hardware dependent.

Reactions: vrykolas and brkaus
Yeah, but let's face it. Nobody ever said every Tesla would get every future feature. Sure, it'd be nice, but even my 2016 AP2 Model X has improved through OTA updates than any other car I've owned, even without dash cam, full sentry functionality, theater and advanced games. It's been perfectly clear since Tesla first added AP1 to the Model S that some future features were going to be hardware dependent.

I never said they would... if you scroll up, you’ll see I said don’t hold your breathe on the dash cam. As well as stating that FSD on AP2 MCU1 will most likely be feature complete via software.

But let’s not fool anyone. There’s workarounds but it’s not going to be the same.

There’s a reason I’ve owned four of these. These things are the equivalent of phones. Not obsolete, but every year will be a minor update and every two will be a major one.

I’m just being honest. You can buy the latest phone which will be waterproof, or you can buy a waterproof case. Both will be waterproof, but they’re definitely not equal.

Reactions: LukasSwan and VikH
I never said they would... if you scroll up, you’ll see I said don’t hold your breathe on the dash cam. As well as stating that FSD on AP2 MCU1 will most likely be feature complete via software.

But let’s not fool anyone. There’s workarounds but it’s not going to be the same.

There’s a reason I’ve owned four of these. These things are the equivalent of phones. Not obsolete, but every year will be a minor update and every two will be a major one.

I’m just being honest. You can buy the latest phone which will be waterproof, or you can buy a waterproof case. Both will be waterproof, but they’re definitely not equal.

True! Tesla keeps making the current cars better. I was really hoping for the full regen to stop function, but looks like its only for Ravens. Another reason to upgrade.

this is correct and even more, there's no booting involved, the aux power is on as long as sentry mode is on so the 3rd party dashcam remains powered all the time and would catch all events if it's pointed in the right directions.

• Informative
Reactions: VikH