Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla no longer let you keep the TREC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone, I just kick started the process of getting solar panels with TESLA. During my initial discussion I told them that I would like to keep the TRECs but my project advisor told me that TESLA is not longer offering that choice. He says the policy was changed as recently as this month. This came as a surprise to me. Is there anyone in this sub who was able to keep the TRECs recently?

Page 18 of the CPUC solarguide booklet that each installer in California must give the homeowners:

¨If you purchase a solar system, you own the rights to these RECs and can make the claim that you’re producing clean energy and avoiding emissions of greenhouse gases by going solar. However, if you enter a lease or PPA, the contract may state that the solar provider or someone else owns the RECs.¨

It is a moot point since in California you cannot trade them.

TRECs are only in NJ. I started my order in September and I was given an offer of $8K for the TRECs. I declined and will probably receive over $15K over the 15 year period. Who knows what the political future will bring. For those who don't know, the Board of Public Utilities (BPU) of NJ pays you for generating renewable energy. Your utility provider takes credit for this.

TRECs are only in NJ. I started my order in September and I was given an offer of $8K for the TRECs. I declined and will probably receive over $15K over the 15 year period. Who knows what the political future will bring. For those who don't know, the Board of Public Utilities (BPU) of NJ pays you for generating renewable energy. Your utility provider takes credit for this.
I am looking into Tesla solar, so are they still allowing you to decline their TREC offer?