Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla roof have a special coating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know the roof has special UV filters in it. These do not need to be an outer coating, they can be part of the glass.

But we also know how the Tesla roof beads water... this is interesting
li73r7hl0is01.jpg

1. Does the Tesla roof have a special coating on it?
2. Does the Tesla roof require any special care? Should I avoid harsher glass cleaners (say those for removing water spots)?
3. Does the water beading effect ever diminish over the years?

Another M3 owner told me they used gold in the roof. I’ve seen the gold effect, but if they did, I think they stopped. I don’t see it in mine and all the newer M3s running around here.
I don't think they use gold in the roof glass. I also don't think they use a coating, since this would wear and abrade and look crappy very soon.

The colour visible in the beaded water drops is not always gold, and is a function of the drop size and angle of observation (as can be clearly seen in Seth2000's photo), and is a result of optical diffraction and refraction effects at the glass/water interface.

I suspect Tesla glass is a close cousin to "Gorilla Glass", which a glass fabricated with a special process and with certain (usually secret) substances introduced in the outer glass layer that creates mechanical compressive stress in the glass surface layers after the glass cools, also resulting in very strong glass. My guess is that this stressed outer layer of the glass results in the diffraction effect scientifically known as "Schlieren", except in this case the optical path is not through the glass, but is light partially internally reflected at the external water/glass and internal glass/air boundary layer.

Last edited: