Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the 1.5 suport J1772?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nick

May 22, 2012
I purchased a Tesla J1772 adapter cable years ago when they first came out - never used it.

Tried a Leaf J1772 charging cable once just to test - no go.

Just got a cheap Duosida charging cable to replace the Leaf cable that blew... the Duosida cable works great for the Leaf but no go on the Roadster. When connected the charging port flickers between blue and white and the LCD in the car flickers between the power cable connected and not connected.

I should try to find a commercial J1772 charging station some time... wondering if it is meant to work

I have one of those Duosida cables but haven't tried it. It was sent to me as a free sample from a company selling EVSEs. Were you using it on 120v or 240v?
240V

I have the J1772 adaptor cable that Tesla sold for the Roadster. Tesla — Roadster J1772 Mobile Connector I have used it maybe 4 times with my 1.5 and it works.
Same one I have.

You may have to get the firmware updated at the SC before J1772 will work. I did.
Thanks for the feedback. Plan of action - I will go down to the local mall tomorrow and try a commercial charger. If that fails as well I will set up a service appointment at Tesla.

I have a 50A OpenEVSE kit on order - plan is to use the Roadster cable from my Tesla 30A box once I know the car works with the J1772 signaling.

The Roadster was developed along side the J1772 spec, but the car was released before the spec was finalized. Someone with more historical knowledge could probably detail the differences. As I recall, there may be a shortcoming in the ground isolation limits, which could cause some "cheap" chargers to fail negotiation with the Roadster.

I ran down to a commercial charging station (EVgo) and the Roadster charged without issue.

Looks like the Duosida cable doesn't work with a Roadster. The car rapidly flips between reporting the cable connected and not-connected.