Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the $2,000 Acceleration Boost upgrade for 0-60 primarily, or increase passing speeds too?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just going to play the devil's advocate here and save people some money. :D Ask yourself, do I really need a half a tick 0-60mph time decrease for TWO GRAND? If the answer is yes, then go for it and be happy. If not, IMO, it's money better spent if you put it towards a quality coilover suspension system.

MY is faster than 90-95% crossovers/SUVs out there as it is (even faster than some of those AMG or M tuned Euros that cost $100k+).

Just going to play the devil's advocate here and save people some money. :D Ask yourself, do I really need a half a tick 0-60mph time decrease for TWO GRAND? If the answer is yes, then go for it and be happy. If not, IMO, it's money better spent if you put it towards a quality coilover suspension system.

MY is faster than 90-95% crossovers/SUVs out there as it is (even faster than some of those AMG or M tuned Euros that cost $100k+).

Remove all doubt, buy the boost! :D

So to be sure I'm understanding what you're saying, your advice is that if I want it and think the price is fair, I should get it, but if I don't want it or I don't think the price is fair, I should not get it?

Don't forget that Tesla Upgrades are fully refundable if a refund is requested within 48 hours of purchase. You can only purchase and then return the upgrade once.

More here: Upgrades

Choose a weekend, when the weather looks like it will cooperate, so you have the time to fully enjoy the upgrade and decide for yourself if the Acceleration Boost is worth $2000.

Attachments

• 20201224_172510.jpg
    20201224_172510.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 188
You have a LR AWD, correct? 162 kW (front) + 217.50 kW (rear) = 380 kW total = 510 HP.
That doesn't seem right? I thought the AWD was ~400HP peak and Performance was ~500 HP peak?

Unless the power reported on the app is the power pulled from the battery into the motor inverters, and the actual inverter output to the motors is less. (but can it really be 100HP loss in power?)

You have a LR AWD, correct? 162 kW (front) + 217.50 kW (rear) = 380 kW total = 510 HP.
That doesn't seem right? I thought the AWD was ~400HP peak and Performance was ~500 HP peak?

Unless the power reported on the app is the power pulled from the battery into the motor inverters, and the actual inverter output to the motors is less. (but can it really be 100HP loss in power?)
Tesla under-reports their numbers. The MYP is measuring over 623 hp. I believe the figure shown is the energy pulled from the battery to the inverters and there are some drivetrain losses from the moving parts.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Tesla under-reports their numbers. The MYP is measuring over 660hp. I believe the figure shown is the energy pulled from the battery to the inverters and there are some drivetrain losses from the moving parts.

Yes, where? Since direct drive and no transmission, those losses from motor to wheels should be non-existent. So is this energy from battery? Or energy output from the inverters into the motors? Because I do not think it is energy out of motors to the wheels.

Best I have seen is where they dyno'ed at the wheels and measured a peak of 502 HP, first link the post previous to this one.

Do you have a source for the Performance 660HP number?
Most articles I read refer to 500HP peak (or less) for Performance:

Amazing Tesla Model Y Performance Dyno Test Results: Over 500HP!
Tesla Model Y Long Range vs. Performance: Which Is the Better Buy?

There's this article that show 469 kW / 623 HP, but it's via OBDII, not wheel HP:
Tesla Model Y has a more powerful powertrain than Model 3, test shows - Electrek
Yeah, it should be 623. I was just going off memory.

Yes, where? Since direct drive and no transmission, those losses from motor to wheels should be non-existent. So is this energy from battery? Or energy output from the inverters into the motors? Because I do not think it is energy out of motors to the wheels.

Best I have seen is where they dyno'ed at the wheels and measured a peak of 502 HP, first link the post previous to this one.
Losses are in the motor (bearings, windage)

Electric motors are well above 90% efficient, usually close to 95%. 500 HP / 623 HP = ~80% efficient.

Tesla themselves claim "greater than" 93% efficiency:

All Model S and X vehicles now benefit from Tesla’s latest generation of drive unit technology, which combines an optimized permanent magnet synchronous reluctance motor, silicon carbide power electronics, and improved lubrication, cooling, bearings, and gear designs to achieve greater than 93% efficiency.

Might need to factor in losses in the DC to AC (inverters) too. Combined with losses in motor and gear reduction to wheels that comes close. 90-95 percent for inverter + 93 percent for motor/gear reduction seems about right for the 623 to 502 reduction.