Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the "aero" design in the 18 wheels add any range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Area wheels on the Model S supposedly added 3% to the range. Not a lot, but not definitely not nothing.

Correct ... 3% range improvement on the Model S :cool:

Aero1 wheels.jpg

The main problem with the Model S Aero wheels was that there were only a very few periods where you could actually order them. Then Tesla complained that no one ordered them. Well, of course they didn't, they were only shown as an option for a few weeks. I would have ordered them for my car if I could have.

I'm not sure why it's hard for people to understand that the purpose of aero wheels is to improve aerodynamics. Wheels are one of the big aerodynamic disaster zones for vehicles. The best thing you can do is to shroud them with wheel skirts. But most people find that too ugly (I don't), so the next best thing you can do is an aero wheel design.

Aero losses dominate at highway speeds. You want your wheels small and aerodynamic if you want low energy consumption, and thus long range.

But hey, if you don't mind sacrificing some range and paying more for something you think looks more "baller", then by all means upgrade :)

I'm not sure why it's hard for people to understand that the purpose of aero wheels is to improve aerodynamics. Wheels are one of the big aerodynamic disaster zones for vehicles. The best thing you can do is to shroud them with wheel skirts. But most people find that too ugly (I don't), so the next best thing you can do is an aero wheel design.
It's not so much aesthetics as is it practicality. They have always been a pain to take off and put back on. Anyone who has had a flat in winter with fender skirts typically enunciates some distinctly non-Disney language, and they don't go back on--ever. Only one car manufacturer that I'm aware of made fender skirts that were easy to re & re regardless of condition. That was Citrõen. They did it by having the entire rear quarter panel being able to be removed (one bolt, two pins).

I can't believe there would be any significant increase. Given the lack of popularity expressed on youtube videos and podcasts, it appears the 19's will be a very popular upgrade.

Upgrading to 19's.... A harsher ride due to less tire sidewall, more expensive replacement tires, the primary reason to upgrade is to avoid the ugly Aero wheels, doesn't sound like much of an upgrade to me.......

It's not so much aesthetics as is it practicality. They have always been a pain to take off and put back on. Anyone who has had a flat in winter with fender skirts typically enunciates some distinctly non-Disney language, and they don't go back on--ever. Only one car manufacturer that I'm aware of made fender skirts that were easy to re & re regardless of condition. That was Citrõen. They did it by having the entire rear quarter panel being able to be removed (one bolt, two pins).

I have a Gen1 Insight, and I agree that skirts not designed for easy removal / opening are a bad idea. That said, I have little doubt that if Tesla were to make a skirted vehicle that they wouldn't make such a novice, well known mistake.

Lol B.S.You will not see a range difference with a certain rim. Rims are for looks and the 19's look the best.

Meanwhile in the real world, those of us who have worked with aerodynamics (have OpenFOAM running in the background right now ;) ) are well aware of how much wheel design influences drag, and how much of a high-drag area wheels are. Rims are not meaningless stickers stuck onto the side, their shape significantly strongly affects a vehice's drag. The lower the vehicle's Cd, the more the distinction matters.

There's nothing wrong with preferring one "look" over another, but don't deceive yourself about the consequences of your choice.

Last edited: