Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the blinking green indicator turn off during low voltage charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this is a silly question...

I just got my MS 2 days ago and I am using a standard outlet to charge the car at the moment while I'm waiting on an electrician to install the NEMA 14-50 outlet.

I noticed the blinking green indicator around the car's charge port turns off after a bit, yet when I walk near the car with the FOB and open the driver's side door the display shows that the car is charging (and the indicator starts blinking green again).

When the indicator is off is it not charging? Or does it turn off to save energy during a low voltage charge?

I was under the impression that it always blinked anytime the car was being charged.

Thanks for any insight.

The charge port goes dark when the car locks. If you have walk-away locking set in the controls, it will go off when the fob goes out of range.
I think this is mainly to avoid drawing attention to the car when it's locked and the owner is away.

The charge port goes dark when the car locks. If you have walk-away locking set in the controls, it will go off when the fob goes out of range.
I think this is mainly to avoid drawing attention to the car when it's locked and the owner is away.

That's the theory. Unfortunately my car will (most of the time) turn on the dashboard display (not the touchscreen) at some point after being plugged in, even if the charge schedule time hasn't arrived. That draws LOTS of attention to the car. If I happen to notice it, I can do a lock/unlock cycle with the keyfob and turn the screen off.

That's the theory. Unfortunately my car will (most of the time) turn on the dashboard display (not the touchscreen) at some point after being plugged in, even if the charge schedule time hasn't arrived. That draws LOTS of attention to the car. If I happen to notice it, I can do a lock/unlock cycle with the keyfob and turn the screen off.
That is a mystery to me. Sometimes I go to the garage, and it is lit up while charging, sometimes not. I have not figured out a rhyme or reason. Gremlin?

The way it is supposed to work is that the charging ring goes out after you walk away and the doors lock. They even talk about that feature in the video walk-through on the Tesla website. It seems to work pretty well on my Model S, so it is weird that it does not work for you guys all the time.

That is a mystery to me. Sometimes I go to the garage, and it is lit up while charging, sometimes not. I have not figured out a rhyme or reason. Gremlin?
Scenario 1 - Car has been left alone for hours, fob arrives, car stands at attention
Handles extend, lights come on, including the charge port ring if appropriate.
Mode: Parked -> Welcoming

Scenario 2 - Car is at attention, fob is outside the car but generally motionless, time passes
Handles retract, lights go off, including the charge port ring.
Mode: Welcoming -> Nonchalant

Scenario 3 - Car has been inactive for a couple minutes, fob is outside the car, fob moves
Nothing appears to change.
Mode: Nonchalant -> Nonchalant

Scenario 4 - Car has been inactive for 30 minutes, fob is outside the car, fob moves
Handles extend, lights come on, including the charge port ring if appropriate.
Mode: Nonchalant -> Welcoming

There are other transitions, but I suspect Puyallup Bill (and others) are not considering scenarios 3 & 4 as "the same" while the car is not.

In my "dash is lit up" scenario, the keyfob is at least 50' away in the house. I'll go out to the garage to put some garbage out and notice the screen on. I'll then go back to the house, get my keyfob, return to the garage and do the unlock/lock cycle and the screen goes dark again.

The chargeport light works as Tesla intended (i.e. goes dark after a period of time).

The way it is supposed to work is that the charging ring goes out after you walk away and the doors lock. They even talk about that feature in the video walk-through on the Tesla website. It seems to work pretty well on my Model S, so it is weird that it does not work for you guys all the time.

It worked correctly all the time until 4.5. I sure hope 5.x fixes this bug.

charging with 110v (12a) in the garage, blinking green light turns off, called Tesla, they say it is Ok and that the car continues charging, can't wait to have the 240v plug installed!

That's normal. The green blinking light turns off shortly after the car is locked supposedly so it doesn't draw unwanted attention to an unattended car. It'll do this on 240 volts as well.

I have noticed that when the car is locked and plugged in, if you push the button on the charge plug as if to release the latch, the charge port will light up green. Anybody else notice this?

And...if you press it a second time, and the car was not charging, the HV relay will engage and car will begin charging, All while the car is locked. Is this a bug or a feature?

Last edited:
I had a licensed electrician install a 14-50 plug in my garage. My model S arrived on 2/11/14 and I use the power cord supplied by Tesla to plug into my new outlet. I drive during the day and return home each evening and charge my Tesla at night. Is it wise for me to leave the charger cord plugged into the outlet all day with the green light on while I am away? It seems to me if I unplug both ends each day it would wear and tear on the cord, plug and the 14-50 outlet. Also, since the green light is on when I am not using it to charge I wonder how much electricity it is consuming. Should I remove the charger cord from the 14-50 outlet after each charge? Thank you in advance...

I had a licensed electrician install a 14-50 plug in my garage. My model S arrived on 2/11/14 and I use the power cord supplied by Tesla to plug into my new outlet. I drive during the day and return home each evening and charge my Tesla at night. Is it wise for me to leave the charger cord plugged into the outlet all day with the green light on while I am away? It seems to me if I unplug both ends each day it would wear and tear on the cord, plug and the 14-50 outlet. Also, since the green light is on when I am not using it to charge I wonder how much electricity it is consuming. Should I remove the charger cord from the 14-50 outlet after each charge? Thank you in advance...

It's best to just leave it plugged in to reduce wear on the plug as you said from what I've read from the experts here on TMC. Just remember to take the UMC with you when you travel as a backup. Don't know how much power it uses not plugged into the car but imagine it is minimal.