Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the camera vieing feature in sentry mode STILL only work on iphone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am also struggling to get this to work. I am on Pixel 6 Pro with Google FI. Car is authorized, app is updated. One thing I read was that it would not work when Google VPN was activated. I turned that off and still had no luck. I did get it working with the Google VPN off over wifi at my house. Once. Still not working for me.

I am also struggling to get this to work. I am on Pixel 6 Pro with Google FI. Car is authorized, app is updated. One thing I read was that it would not work when Google VPN was activated. I turned that off and still had no luck. I did get it working with the Google VPN off over wifi at my house. Once. Still not working for me.
That is my senero exactly. However, 2 days ago my remote viewing started to work.
Today it doesn't.
I'm on Sprint and do not have a VPN app on my phone.
One member here said the carrier may have VPN associated with the phone.
I will post any success if there is a resolution.

Just tried this again in my house:

On wifi with Google VPN active: Fail
On wifi with Google VPN inaction: Success (you can disable VPN in the network settings)

On Google FI with VPN inactive: Camera Fail, but honking horn worked after a long delay
On Google FI with VPN active: Could not activate VPN in this configuration

Google FI network was T-Mobile with medium signal strength.

I've been sitting here at Frisco's tap house for an hour, trying to get this to work. WiFi on, WiFi off...Bluetooth on, Bluetooth off. Close to the car. Far from the car. Fingers crossed. Fingers uncrossed. Even tried crinkling my nose. Nothing. This has never worked for me. Galaxy Flip 3 on T-Mobile

I'd give up my left pinky toe for this to work. Even once.

Last edited:
Still not working for me. Android 12 Pixel 6 Pro
It works *sometimes* on my Z Flip 3 and sometimes it doesn't. I'm with Verizon, if that helps anything...

To be honest, it's of limited value. Yea... you can launch the Tesla app, tap on "View LIve Camera" and wait 25-45 seconds to see if it'll work or not.

If it DOES happen to work... you can see who's around your car. You'd have to accidentally happen to view Sentry mode at exactly the right time, to catch anyone messing with your car! Sentry doesn't send any alerts, like MyQ does when my garage door opens, or Nest when someone rings my bell, so there's no way to know if someone is near your Tesla, or doing anything to it, until you return to your car or IF you just happen to open the app and view what's going on around your car.

Only true benefit I can think of is, if your car is parked somewhere shady at night, and you're concerned there may be unsavory people around your car, you can check to see if anyone is near it before you go to it.

Again... I understand people wanting to have functions that others have, but just know that it's not that valuable, at this time. If Tesla adds notifications, or if it would launch with more consistency and faster, it's usefulness would increase.

Funny story though.. three days ago, while having lunch with my wife at our favorite Mexican restaurant, I checked sentry, and observed about 10 seagulls, all flocked around MY Model Y, doing something by my rear drivers side tire.

Honked the horn... they took to the sky, flew 3 or 4 feet, then landed and again walked up to my Model Y, congregating around my wheels!

Honk again... again they took off, flew three or four feet, landed, and immediately returned to view the shiny black hubcap of my Uberturbine wheels!

They seemed truly impressed!

Reactions: LJG0053 and JonB65
I would like to judge on my own how "useful" this feature is...if it ever worked. But it doesn't. Never has. I suspect never will. I'm a little tired of always being a beta testing guinea pig for Musk. Just once, I wish he'd roll something out that was actually tested and works consistantly.

I would like to judge on my own how "useful" this feature is...if it ever worked. But it doesn't. Never has. I suspect never will. I'm a little tired of always being a beta testing guinea pig for Musk. Just once, I wish he'd roll something out that was actually tested and works consistantly.
Sounds like a problem on your end. It works well on my android phone and many others. Phone manufacturers do lots of stuff on the android side that can potentially break compatibility. It's unnecessary to blame Tesla or Elon Musk for this. Seriously, you think Elon Musk has anything to do with the android version of the Tesla app?

Reactions: LJG0053
Actually, there are more people on Android for whom it does NOT work than does. This from the Service manager at the Tesla center directly. They were unprepared when they rolled it out for Android. So, yes, I DO blame Musk and Tesla for not testing their software, before releasing it. Musk himself has said they prefer "live testing" in people's cars, over delays perfecting things before roll out. The Manager told me they're working on it, but it's always harder to retroactively fix code, without affecting other things, then it is to do it right in the first place.

1. It's NOT a problem "on my end". I'm using a modern Android phone, fully updated, on a major carrier. The manager confirms I'm using the app correctly, and got the same results himself.

2. More users with Android cannot get it to work then can (as of yesterday, when I spoke with the service manager)

3. As is always the case with Tesla, once the hype has died down, and they've milked the news cycle for all they can about a new feature, fixing the remaining issues with it becomes a low priority. Again, not my words...his.

So, no, I don't think Musk personally wrote the code and created the issue. But he HAS personally developed the culture and mindset that creates these issues all the time for Tesla.

Actually, there are more people on Android for whom it does NOT work than does. This from the Service manager at the Tesla center directly. They were unprepared when they rolled it out for Android. So, yes, I DO blame Musk and Tesla for not testing their software, before releasing it. Musk himself has said they prefer "live testing" in people's cars, over delays perfecting things before roll out. The Manager told me they're working on it, but it's always harder to retroactively fix code, without affecting other things, then it is to do it right in the first place.

1. It's NOT a problem "on my end". I'm using a modern Android phone, fully updated, on a major carrier. The manager confirms I'm using the app correctly, and got the same results himself.

2. More users with Android cannot get it to work then can (as of yesterday, when I spoke with the service manager)

3. As is always the case with Tesla, once the hype has died down, and they've milked the news cycle for all they can about a new feature, fixing the remaining issues with it becomes a low priority. Again, not my words...his.

So, no, I don't think Musk personally wrote the code and created the issue. But he HAS personally developed the culture and mindset that creates these issues all the time for Tesla.
Not sure I buy that, they only get the complaints and have no real idea how many people are successfully using it with Android. It continues to work perfectly with my Galaxy S20+ and Android v12.

But I understand your frustration, texting some days works for me, some days I get an error that says I need a newer version of Android or iOS. I understand it's an evolving product and will improve over time. I did my homework before I bought the car and knew what I was getting, for better or worse.

You can buy it or not. I don't truly care. I'm just quoting the Service Manager. Your correct about one thing, though. This isn't just limited to this one particular issue. This is the norm with Tesla. Roll it out quick. Be first. If it only works half the time? Meh... we'll get around to fixing it eventually. Maybe. Maybe we'll just wait until it makes the newscasts.

My point is the service manager was obviously placating you, he can't possibly know who uses
Android and who uses iPhones, much less numbers and % who use it successfully. It does show he had no answer for the problem other than to wait for the mothership to fix it. Such is life in Teslaland.

Yes. Iphone never an issue (because Elon uses an iPhone). Android support is the issue. A shame you had to revive this thread. I was just beginning to convince myself that it was all a dream, and this feature was never available! LOL....