Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Model 3 have an accessory mode for passengers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
My wife is very pregnant and often chooses to wait in the car while I am running errands lately. Is there a way that I can leave the car on for her without leaving my phone in the car? I don't want to ask her to get into the driver seat every time I leave the vehicle for 20 minutes and I absolutely am not going to put the car into dog mode with my wife in the car... not if I want to live to see tomorrow anyway.

[Off | On | Dog Mode]

Choose the second one when there are occupants that take offense at the term "Dog Mode". Other than the screen display, my impression is that the On and Dog Mode modes are essentially the same.

Also, turn off Security Alarm so that if they open the door to stretch it doesn't go into red alert.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Unlock the car with physical keycard after you leave.

-- or --

After you're in park, leave from a non-driver-side door. I parked by a wall then exited the vehicle through the passenger side, never opening the driver-side door, and car wouldn't lock when walking away.

My wife is very pregnant and often chooses to wait in the car while I am running errands lately. Is there a way that I can leave the car on for her without leaving my phone in the car? I don't want to ask her to get into the driver seat every time I leave the vehicle for 20 minutes and I absolutely am not going to put the car into dog mode with my wife in the car... not if I want to live to see tomorrow anyway.

Tell her Dog Mode is there to protect her and make her comfortable. Problem solved.

When I'm in the passenger seat of our cars and my husband leaves, when the car shuts down I simply touch the black screen and it comes on as well as the radio and air. No need to switch to Dog Mode. Now I do have my phone (key) with me as well and my key card.

Reactions: APotatoGod and UTMB
Turn on Dog mode while telling her the joke about the dyslexic agnostic asking "Is there a Dog?"

If she doesn't "get it", explain that Dog is God spelled backwards, and Elon wanted to save a
few dollars, you know, to keep some more locations open, staffed with min wage workers,
so he provided one mode, Dog = God, and she's divine.

If she still doesn't "get it", leave Dog Mode on, and go about your business while she works on it.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Why doesn't she have one of the key cards? Or link her cell phone to the car?

Exactly. My wife’s phone is registered as a key for my Model 3 (even though she has yet to drive it...). I created a separate Tesla account for her and Tesla support linked her separate account to my Model 3. I’ll run into a store real quick while she waits in the car and she has no problems. Music keeps playing, A/C still running because the Model 3 still sees her phone in the car and doesn’t shut off. This is clearly the best option in your situation.

If for some reason you don’t want your wife’s phone registered as a key for your Model 3 and if Dog Mode isn’t an option either, at least crack the windows open for her :D

• Funny
Reactions: SMAlset
Leave your phone with her while you run in?

Thats totally not an idea situation... especially if OPs wife is pregnant. She might want (or need) to contact the OP while he is in the store, which means he needs his phone with him unless he has a smart watch with cellular service.

EDIT:

@PoitNarf 's solution seems to be the best one until tesla comes through with the camping mode which is supposed to leave the audio system etc on.

Reactions: PoitNarf
Install the Tesla app on your wife’s phone, log in with your Tesla account, and set up the Phone Key function. She may have to open the app on her phone when you leave, but that should work to keep the car on with HVAC and music.