TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Does the Model S have an OBD-II connector?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Reed, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Reed

Reed Member

Does the Model S have an OBD-II connector? If so, does it show any information that is different from ICE cars?

I thought ODB-II is required for all cars but the sub systems for electric are much different than an ICE vehicle.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Yes it does. Note that ODBII connectors also connect with the CAN and the BEAN buses. The ODBII bus will have the applicable readouts and will tell the testing system it's an EV--although many places just put the VIN into their software and don't bother connecting the ODBII for EVs unless the VIN doesn't show up. The CAN bus is where all the interesting information is and that varies by car and by manufacturer.

3. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

Interesting. Where is it located? I would have thought the Model S didn't have one since, by my understanding, OBD standard is more for emissions related issues rather than general diagnostics. In fact, my OBD II scanner is on my list of things to get rid of, along with my oil filter wrench, spark plug wrench, etc.

4. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

I don't think it has one. I asked a Tesla Ranger and he told it does not have OBDII. It does have a connector on the driver side in the part of the dash next to the door. Pop the side panel off and you will find it.

5. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I am pretty sure all cars made now have to have an OBDII port. And they are required to be near the steering wheel. The one in the Model S is directly above the dead pedal, under the steering wheel, as shown in this picture.
    WP_20130927_003.jpg

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I heard (can't remember where) that earlier production cars didn't have the OBD II port but later ones do. I'll have to look and see if I have one...

7. JohnEC

JohnEC S 00443

I have a somewhat early sig (443) and I have the port right where the picture shows it.

8. AC1K

AC1K Member

#8 AC1K, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    thats weird... i thought the connector was the one under neath the touch screen (grab your cubby hole and pull STRAIGHT down)

Attached Files:

9. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

From what I gather the OBDII is just there for regulatory purposes, and a minimum of information is put out to it. And there are other Tesla plugs where they really interface with the car's software.

10. AC1K

AC1K Member

i plugged in my BT ODB2 connector and i got no information out of it, the phone said it was able to connect to the adapter but not the ECU

11. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

First, what is a BEAN bus?
    Second, that connector behind the far left side of the dash when the driver's door is opened is Ethernet :) They just plug MS into a laptop's enet port and start a talking....

12. jerry33

The BEAN bus is for the HVAC systems.

13. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

I have a Leaf and some developers have put together a droid app that works with a bluetooth OBD connector and provides individual cell voltages, tire pressure, temperature, VIN, charge cycles and more. I would be surprised if Tesla doesn't have a lot of information avaiable at this connector. As someone mentioned it is connected to the CAN bus.

14. swegman

swegman Member

I was at the Rockville Service Center today and asked hem about it. I was told that the car has an OBDII connector because it is required by law. However, I was told that it does nothing; that the only pins connected to the connector are ground and voltage.

15. gmark2000

gmark2000 Member

I believe some insurance companies' tracking devices use the OBDII for power and monitoring.

16. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

I think this is correct. I connected my OBDII scan tool to it, and it powered up but could not communicate with the car.

17. DITB

DITB Charged.hk co-founder

I have an older ODB, and you guys talk of ODB II. Tried mine and it connects put asks me if I have the iglorious on or not. No data.

18. paco3791

paco3791 TMC OG

they do but when I tried to use one on the car it wasn't able to get any info from the port. Mostly I believe insurance company device is looking for vehicle speed. I'm willing to bet that the report above of just voltage and ground being connected is correct.

19. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

That is the DIAG connector. Provides direct access to the multiple CAN buses in the car for service technicians. But, everything on those buses is Tesla proprietary.

20. jerry33

Most of the interesting information on the Prius' ODBII connector is proprietary too. Some folks have spent a lot of time figuring out what the codes mean so that you can program your ScangaugeII to read them. However, it's also possible to brick your Prius if you do it wrong because it works by sending an inquiry to the CAN bus and getting an answer. I think I remember reading a clause in the Tesla purchase agreement where you agree not to do this.