Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the model X make your passengers car sick?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My SO complained of this, we have deduced that in her case, it was occurring during the regen braking. When we switch to low she notices an improvement immediately.
As someone who grew up constantly car sick, the thing that always got me was "unexpected" changes in velocity -- usually applying the brakes but then releasing it unexpectedly.

So, I can see how an unexpected "drag" on the car, from regen, would simulate this in a modern EV, especially if the driver constantly lifts their foot off the pedal and then back on. Off. On. Getting me dizzy thinking about it. :oops:

This seems to be a real problem since I've had about half of my passengers complain about it independent of each other. Passengers that sick in the 2nd or 3rd row for longer road trips complain that they get car sick and feel nauseous even though they don't typically get car sick in other cars.

I drive my model X the same way that I drive my model s and haven't ever had anyone complain about sickness in the model s.

Anybody else get these complaints? If so, what have you done to try to ease the ride?

I'm not entirely sure what about the model X makes it worse than the s in this regard?

- Is it because the model X rides higher so gets more sway on turns?
- could it be the big windshield and double vision issues causing sickness for people in the back?
- the stiffer, bumpier ride of the X?
- air flow problems into the rear cabin?
- maybe the new car smell?
- something else?

Seriany advice appreciated.

You’re not crazy. We have had the exact same experience With our model X. Multiple independent people who have sat in the back, including my kids have complained about getting dizzy during long and short drives. We are not driving any differentlyd from our gas driven cars, Except for the occasional punch off the line :). We’re not quite sure what it is due to, but I think it has something to do with the design of the rear seats Which are narrow and sit up leaving the passenger with little support and swaying back-and-forth. There have also been occasions when the people in the front have also gotten dizzy, myself included.

Interesting stories. I would get pretty carsick as a kid. It was mostly in bigger or open vehicles. Specially ones with a large sunroof. If the sun was up there in view...ugh. I hated vans where the front was a large windshield with no hood to give it perspective... Just the road coming at you.

I'm sure that played a part in my 30 seconds of X experience. I sat in one at the showroom for a few moments... Got right back out. Not for me :/

My family had gotten car sick from both 2nd and 3rd row on different occasions. Having a 6 seater, our working theory is that it has something to do with how far the seats are located from the center of the car rotational axis. 2nd row are pushed farther sided ways and 3rd are further back from the rotation center of vehicle’s body when it’s compared to our previous car.

Use chill mode, the car will drive more like an ICE vehicle. I got car sick as a kid and yes the quick acceleration will make the issue worse..Dramamine saved lots of car messes and kept us quiet...there was no "non-drowsy" formula in my day.

I would get car sick on the MX if I am the passenger, but being the driver I don't get motion sickness in any car. It is the sudden hit of acceleration. One of my coworker drives like that on his stick shift and we all complained about it... we all got car sick after riding in it to out for lunch. :p

I was just trying out Chill mode last week for fun. I have to switch it back after about 5 min.. it was awful. The car was not going fast enough LOL.

Reactions: beths11
I would get car sick on the MX if I am the passenger, but being the driver I don't get motion sickness in any car. It is the sudden hit of acceleration. One of my coworker drives like that on his stick shift and we all complained about it... we all got car sick after riding in it to out for lunch. :p

I was just trying out Chill mode last week for fun. I have to switch it back after about 5 min.. it was awful. The car was not going fast enough LOL.
I agree, I tried chill mode for about 30 seconds...No kids in my back seat and like you if I am driving I don't get sick.

I have to put my car on chill mode and no regen for motion sickness with passengers. Happened with my S and X.
Yes, I would suggest the OP try that as well. Too many variables to know the real cause, so try a process of elimination for things that can be controlled.

Lots of passengers been in the back seats of my X on long trips over the last year. Only one complaint of sickness. He said "I'm feeling sick about going back to my Toyota after riding in this car ! :)

• Funny
Reactions: ModelX and beths11
Probably different for different folks. In my family, it was all about my driving. As the driver, the X is very responsive and controllable with hard acceleration, hard turns and full on regen braking - all of these are fun to me. As the back seat passenger, all those things add to the slinging around of their guts repeatedly. My focus now when I have back seat passengers is on smooth accelerations, controlled regen braking by just easing up on the accelerator vs. taking the foot off of it, and slowing down in general. This has eliminated complaints/issues. Oh, and also make sure the back seat air blower is up to at least about a 6. The back seat air is not circulating as well as the front seats and moving air seems to help.

My wife was complaining about this in our Model X yesterday. In fact, she googled it and came up with this thread which I had not seen before.

She was in the front passenger seat, it was dark and it was during heavy stop-and-go freeway driving. I was using a combination of TACC, full Autopilot and full manual driving and am not certain which mode I was in when she felt carsick. My 90 year old mother was in the center position of the middle row bench (she likes to look through and out the windshield from the back!) and seemed fine.

I'm not sure what to make of this as I never had any complaints in my former Model S. But the Model S was pre-Autopilot, so I am suspicious that Autopilot may be the culprit here. It does seem a bit "jerkier" that how I would drive it myself, but not horribly so.

I may try a combination of low regen and Autopilot and see how that seems. My sense is that Autopilot uses the friction brakes more than I normally would anyway, so I am not sure if that's the cure.

My wife was complaining about this in our Model X yesterday. In fact, she googled it and came up with this thread which I had not seen before.

She was in the front passenger seat, it was dark and it was during heavy stop-and-go freeway driving. I was using a combination of TACC, full Autopilot and full manual driving and am not certain which mode I was in when she felt carsick. My 90 year old mother was in the center position of the middle row bench (she likes to look through and out the windshield from the back!) and seemed fine.

I'm not sure what to make of this as I never had any complaints in my former Model S. But the Model S was pre-Autopilot, so I am suspicious that Autopilot may be the culprit here. It does seem a bit "jerkier" that how I would drive it myself, but not horribly so.

I may try a combination of low regen and Autopilot and see how that seems. My sense is that Autopilot uses the friction brakes more than I normally would anyway, so I am not sure if that's the cure.

I have found that auto-pilot is WAY jerkier than I am when driving. I definitely would be cautious about it on windy roads if your passengers get motion sick. My wife gets motion sick, but she's fine in the X as long as I don't want to make use of the torque :p

No idea about this. Both my wife and our 2 kids are pretty susceptible to car sickness, but none of them have experienced it in the MX. In fact it's been the least "sicky" car we've had. Have to be careful with the instant accel response though as that can really mess passengers up! I remember the first few days I got told off several times for sudden neck snapping acceleration and now I feed the power in more smoothly when carrying passengers. I expect that has a lot to do with it, especially as there is no accompanying engine noise to go with the acceleration.

My mother in law complains about this when she sits in the second row. I have also experienced it at times sitting in the second row, the only way I've found to mitigate it is having the driver select Chill mode. Seems to help dramatically. And yes, EAP seems to make it worse.

My wife also gets “sick” in the pasenger seat and keeps a hat in the vehicle to keep her from looking up. She claims the hat helps her focus forward and contributes the windshield as the cause of her uneasiness.

Interesting. It may have something to do with everyone telling you to look at the horizon when you are seasick on a ship. Pretty much look straight ahead at the furthest point.

You may want to secretly scotchgard the hat just in case if the hat trick didn't work, it could be used as a makeshift bucket....

Switch to "chill" mode, less aggressive acceleration