Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your Model S scrape on speed bumps?

How often do you scrape

• Frequently

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Clearing all speed bumps, no problem

Votes: 64 64.0%
  • Speed bumps?

Votes: 7 7.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As in holes in the road?

Oh sorry. No, not in pot holes or anything like that. Sometimes there are dips before going into a driveway/parking lot. If you take those at normal speed you may scrape. But, most cars do too so I just take it slow. I find that the S is not more or less prone to scraping than my previous car (335i).

What kind of speed bumps do you have around you? I usually take all bumps slow. Short tall ones or long flat ones. It's a learned habit from my fast and the furious days.

Reactions: GeoX750
I scraped one time on a speed bump. I now go over a different area of the speed bump and a little slower. No further scrapes. I raise up for my brother's and parents driveway humps though an angled entrance would likely suffice.

I scrape in two places. The dip at the foot of my driveway (grrr), and if I'm moving faster than a crawl, the too-sharp bend at the top of the ramp into my friends' underground parking garage.

I set the car to "Very High" at both of those locations, and would *REALLY* appreciate an automatic setting for that, similar to the automatic HomeLink that's tied to GPS position, but one that didn't require any interaction on my part. Just raise the car when I'm within the geofence and driving under, say, 20mph, then lower it again once I leave.

There are several troublesome speed bumps in areas I frequent (parking lot at son's school and roundabout at nearest shopping center.)

For the former, luckily it is just one bump on the route out of the parking lot, so I just set the suspension to High when I get back in the car after walking son to school's entrance.

For the latter, I avoid the roundabout on entry (as it is a huge pain to attempt to jack up the suspension in time on entry without driving below 10 mph way too far in advance of the bump); if I need to exit via the roundabout, raising the suspension when returning to the car mostly seems to work as I stay at low speed heading towards the main exit road from the parking lot.

Two features that would be greatly appreciated (TM, I'm sure you are listening!):
  1. Ability to ignore the speed related automatic lowering of the suspension
  2. Ability to define geo regions where the suspension should automatically raise as the vehicle enters the region (requiring that the zone be defined large enough that the suspension is actually high enough when the car gets to the offending bump)

Never scrapped any speed bumps and have not worried about it. At some streets on my way home, there are speed bumps with gaps in between (NW Cornell - Portlander's know it). I drive with my wheels going through the gaps and still no scraping.

I don't scrape on speed bumps but I do coming and going from our driveway if I don't enter/exit slowly and at an angle. Same at my in-laws driveway. I installed a curb sensor under the front and ripped it off the first day entering our drive. Had to move it to the grill area.

Since I have been driving Austin Healey's with a ground clearance of a cigarette pack for years I always take it easy with curbs, speed bumps, dips, etc. In the Healey one must approach such hazards at an extreme angle to avoid scraping the muffler. With the S I have automatically been raising the car at these kinds of hazards plus when ever parking the car to avoid hitting the sidewalks and parking stops with the front edge of the car. It is also easier to back into those spaces using the rear view camera. Might be nice to have a hazard warning sensor up front, but that would also be an added expense. Cheers, RNG