Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dog mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"A lot of?" Is this really a rampant problem in some places? Of course where I am, we get the windows broken to check for loose change. But I don't know of anybody who's had a window broken to "rescue" a dog. (yes, I've heard the stories, but it has never seemed to be a common thing). My dog stays in the car quite regularly. Of course she's always in the back behind the dark tint... because I care about my dog. :)
Oh no no, it's just my lazy internet speak :) You got me on that one. That being said, I'm still waiting (not really) for the Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins to hit.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
This is not a good idea, Mr. Musk. Dogs (and kids) die in cars not because of the temperature but because of the sun's rays, which can raise the car's temperature threefold. Please don't advocate leaving a pet in a car. I know you meant well.

You do understand that the HVAC stays enabled while dog mode is on, right? If it’s a hot day the air conditioning will keep the car cool just as if you were sitting in the car with it on. It’s more than just a message on the screen.

Maybe he thinks the sun's rays will give the dog a sunburn?

I mean the sun is very dangerous and skin cancer kills a decent amount of people. Just not sure that it gets dogs....

And to think - rays causing the temp to go up threefold. So on a hot day, it could be 240 degrees in my car? Wow! (and I do realize it could be probably 160 but I have actually never seen over 130 if we trust the sensor in the car)

• Funny
They just need to add a couple of things:
1)Push alerts to user cell phone if temperature starts to rise and/or battery starts to get low
2)If owner does not return to car and temperature continues to rise blow horn in -.. --- --. (DOG) pattern.
3)If owner still doesn't return, automatically open door(s)

• Funny
And to think - rays causing the temp to go up threefold. So on a hot day, it could be 240 degrees in my car?
Actually if the temperature in you car were 80°F triple that would be 1378 °F because °F is an offset scale. You have to compute the absolute temperature and triple that.

Wow indeed.

I don't think it's obvious enough for people passing by. There are plenty of youtube videos of people breaking the door glass of cars to release the pent up animals. You need something that will flash to get peoples attention and then text large enough to be read at a great distance. Something simple and to the point.
I leave a note on the dashboard or inside of driver’s door window (“back/sticky” side of a post-it) stating the car and A/C are on and provide my name and phone number. I have an Accord Hybrid which of course doesn’t run the engine all the time. I also leave the window cracked an inch down so the inquisitive can feel cold air is inside the vehicle.

They just need to add a couple of things:
1)Push alerts to user cell phone if temperature starts to rise and/or battery starts to get low
2)If owner does not return to car and temperature continues to rise blow horn in -.. --- --. (DOG) pattern.
3)If owner still doesn't return, automatically open door(s)
I would say before the battery fails to maintain temperature the cars windows should all roll down halfway as a fail safe.

I have another request for dog mode (or any time I tell sentry mode that I have a pet inside).

And that is to have a "silent" mode for sentry. Blasting the stereo inside or incessantly honking the horn would be terrible with a dog inside. I still want sentry ON, and I want it to record, flash the lights and put a message on the screen... and alert me via the app. But with a pet inside we need a "mute" version of sentry.

I have another request for dog mode (or any time I tell sentry mode that I have a pet inside).

And that is to have a "silent" mode for sentry. Blasting the stereo inside or incessantly honking the horn would be terrible with a dog inside. I still want sentry ON, and I want it to record, flash the lights and put a message on the screen... and alert me via the app. But with a pet inside we need a "mute" version of sentry.

2019.5.3 (I think that was it) already overrides Sentry mode when Dog mode is activated. (At least in such that it doesn't blare music.) It is possible it still records the events but I don't think so.

2019.5.3 (I think that was it) already overrides Sentry mode when Dog mode is activated. (At least in such that it doesn't blare music.) It is possible it still records the events but I don't think so.
Thanks for the input. I guess that's a good first step. There are about seven months out of the year here when I don't need "dog mode" on when my dog is left in the car. No reason to run the HVAC in the mild months, nor in winter... but I would like to use Sentry mode muted while she's in there!