Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dogs in Model X - best way to keep clean & scratch-free

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since a ton of us have dogs, I have a question for everyone... I just got my Model X 36 hours ago, I sold my ICE vehicle yesterday but forgot that my dogs have to go to the dog walker's next weekend - and I have to take them. I'm petrified to let my dogs in my brand new, exceptionally clean and amazing car. What do you guys do? I do not crate my dogs.

Anyone have suggestions?

What precautions have you taken to prevent scratches and/or excess fur? I have a Black Lab x Husky and a little terrier mix. Help!
IMG_0005.JPG

Would love to know too how to work a good solution for a six seater to keep the dogs in the back area and not walk up from between the middle row seats. Got huskies and will definitely go mushing and cycling with them so waiting on my X to arrive tomfinally be able to attach a tow hitch to carry a kickbike or sled to take with the dogs. But they'll probably be muddy and I've gone for ultra white interior so...... Really would like to fold the third row and make sure they don't come to the front. Does the X have as accessory options the rubber trunk cover possible and we need a separator to put between the middle row seats...

Reactions: electracity
Thanks to a tip I saw from Tesla EVangelist I keep a piece of nylon carpet in the back to attract dog hair. Before I did that I had hair all over including the deep hard to reach dash but none after. I fold down the rear seats, lay down a foam pad, fill the area with a cargo cover with loops over the middle seat headrests, then add the carpet square to mostly fill the floor space and toss in wet dog rug. Trickiest part is getting the dogs to wait until I get the flap down over the bumper before they jump out. Don't forget to manually turn on the rear climate control since there is no one sitting in any seats to actuate it automatically. You may also want to turn up the fan from the default.

Since a ton of us have dogs, I have a question for everyone... I just got my Model X 36 hours ago, I sold my ICE vehicle yesterday but forgot that my dogs have to go to the dog walker's next weekend - and I have to take them. I'm petrified to let my dogs in my brand new, exceptionally clean and amazing car. What do you guys do? I do not crate my dogs.

Anyone have suggestions?

What precautions have you taken to prevent scratches and/or excess fur? I have a Black Lab x Husky and a little terrier mix. Help!View attachment 184726
Congrats on getting your X! Mine is coming in August/September. We've got a dog too. I see you have the PUP. Are the 2nd and 3rd row seats perforated like the front seats? Any worries about the dogs' nails ripping them if there are?

Congrats on getting your X! Mine is coming in August/September. We've got a dog too. I see you have the PUP. Are the 2nd and 3rd row seats perforated like the front seats? Any worries about the dogs' nails ripping them if there are?
As of right now, the Dogs are forbidden to even get close to my MX. I don't know what to do. I'm going to the cottage tomorrow and leaving the dogs for the first time ever, with the gf at home.

I have to take my dogs to their dog sitter next Saturday, so I'll have to figure out something by then. I'm considering folding down the rear seats, putting a couple of blankets or sheets in 3 row and having the gf sit in the second row to ensure the dogs don't jump up or try to come forward.

I see below your post there is a post about something to purchase. I'll take a look at that. All the suggestions I've gotten so far don't appear to be long term solutions.

I don't allow food or drinks in the car and was hit with a dilemma about 2 hours ago when I went grocery shopping for the first time. Problem solved! I used the frunk! doesn't solve the dog issues though.

Keep the suggestions coming! I'm sure I'll figure something out based on suggestions and research. I'll post my solution once it actually works

The Evannex Pet Cargo Cover should work for the 6-seater, too.
Just fix on both 2nd row seats and the area between the two 2nd row seats is "closed" as well.
Looks like an ideal solution to me.
I'm going to order it and report back to you guys. Too bad it takes at least 2 weeks for delivery. I'll need to find an interim solution for now.

For today, looks like @SSD420 is going to the cottage dog less!

I'm going to order it and report back to you guys. Too bad it takes at least 2 weeks for delivery. I'll need to find an interim solution for now.

For today, looks like @SSD420 is going to the cottage dog less!

Exclent, this does indeed look absolutely perfect and it's relatively cheap too at the same time. I'll wait for the review as I still have some time as my X arrives in September.

If you use this, I will personally come and scold you! That is a horrifying solution.

In the short term, I used a few extra heavy blankets that I had around to cover every single inch that I could. I was so paranoid. They worked. I have since bought an EVAnnex cover that seems to work pretty well. But I have an S.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Some of you must not like your dogs very much to be so petrified of them riding in Model X, especially the insane tow box. One of the main reasons we got Model X was so we could travel with both our dogs and our son in a car seat. We keep the third row folded up and use a hammock seat protector in the third row for the dogs. They get direct air flow from the rear vents (I would wonder whether those vents are on when the third row is folded .. ) and they have enough space to turn around, lay down, etc. It's a bit tricky getting them in without scratching up the plastic in the doorway, but if it gets scratched, such is life. I use a towel when they enter and exit but it's difficult to keep it in place.

They've ridden with us on a 2.5 hour each way trip and also to the vet so far. No problems.

IMG_9159.JPG

We have two dogs (Shepard-Husky mix and Terrier-Poodle mix) and have now made two trips to our cabin (2 hours each way) and went through the same anxiety as you with them being in the X. *Note: We do have our seats protected with a matte wrap (Suntek) so weren't as worried about that but do worry about the hair and other scratches.

Fortunately, we had purchased a Model S cargo area carpet back in 2013 at the first TMC Connect event (aka Teslive) from one of the TMC members that his wife had done and have used that to cover the rear area. It worked well but doesn't have a way to protect the sides without some modification to it so I think we may be ordering the cover from Evannex in this thread.

Our dogs were used to traveling in a Sequoia so had lots of room to move around and while the X is smaller, they actually have been more relaxed in it and typically lay down more than they did previously. I have only seen one small claw puncture in the side of the rear area byt the 3rd row but you will definitely want something to protect that as that will be your highest risk area for scratches, etc.

Some of you must not like your dogs very much to be so petrified of them riding in Model X, especially the insane tow box. One of the main reasons we got Model X was so we could travel with both our dogs and our son in a car seat. We keep the third row folded up and use a hammock seat protector in the third row for the dogs. They get direct air flow from the rear vents (I would wonder whether those vents are on when the third row is folded .. ) and they have enough space to turn around, lay down, etc. It's a bit tricky getting them in without scratching up the plastic in the doorway, but if it gets scratched, such is life. I use a towel when they enter and exit but it's difficult to keep it in place.

They've ridden with us on a 2.5 hour each way trip and also to the vet so far. No problems.

View attachment 184928
Can you show pics of what it looks like in your MX without your fur and human babies in the pic?
when fast or loud ICE vehicles speed by, Q, my Lab x Husky enjoys lunging at the windows, thinking she will catch it (?) and I'm worried about her scratching my doors / windows.

We have two dogs (Shepard-Husky mix and Terrier-Poodle mix) and have now made two trips to our cabin (2 hours each way) and went through the same anxiety as you with them being in the X. *Note: We do have our seats protected with a matte wrap (Suntek) so weren't as worried about that but do worry about the hair and other scratches.

Fortunately, we had purchased a Model S cargo area carpet back in 2013 at the first TMC Connect event (aka Teslive) from one of the TMC members that his wife had done and have used that to cover the rear area. It worked well but doesn't have a way to protect the sides without some modification to it so I think we may be ordering the cover from Evannex in this thread.

Our dogs were used to traveling in a Sequoia so had lots of room to move around and while the X is smaller, they actually have been more relaxed in it and typically lay down more than they did previously. I have only seen one small claw puncture in the side of the rear area byt the 3rd row but you will definitely want something to protect that as that will be your highest risk area for scratches, etc.
Can you show pics of your MX setup for your dogs?

In my previous car, a 2012 Toyota Camry SE, typically my Lab X Husky liked to stand and/or lay down in my backseat. I would put blankets on the leather / ultra suede seats. My little guy, Spaniel X has always been scared of cars. I've wondered if it's merely the engine noise of ICE cars, but he likes to sleep UNDER my passenger front seat. By folding down the third row and blocking off the 2nd row, I was hoping to keep both dogs together and stop him from going under the seat.

Can you show pics of what it looks like in your MX without your fur and human babies in the pic?
when fast or loud ICE vehicles speed by, Q, my Lab x Husky enjoys lunging at the windows, thinking she will catch it (?) and I'm worried about her scratching my doors / windows.

Sure, with or without the seat protector in place? I don't have one with the seat protector but without the dogs, but I can take one Friday as we're going on another trip to the in-laws with the dogs this weekend. As such I also haven't vacuumed from the dogs' vet visit since they'll be back in the X soon. Here's some pics of the rear after the dogs have traveled ~350 miles in the X. The leather on the sides of the third row is in good shape as I drape a towel over it. I also do my best to have a towel covering the plastic on their entry and exit. There's also a pic of just them in the third row when I was testing it out before our first road trip.

IMG_0941.JPG IMG_0841.JPG IMG_0842.JPG IMG_0843.JPG IMG_0844.JPG IMG_0845.JPG IMG_0846.JPG

Your dogs look happy! This is by far the most expensive car purchase I've ever made, so I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to the dogs in the MX. I'm sure over time I'll be less nervous about it. It's only 3 days new, so It's nice to keep it that way!