TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Dolby Surround Sound keeps turning Dolby Surround Sound

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by tizio, Nov 24, 2018.

1. tizio

tizio Member

The Dolby Sound option of my 2017 X keeps turning off each time my car powers off. The feature works fine while turned on. It's strange that a feature that I spent a chunk of change to upgrade keeps getting disabled.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is it a sign of some problem?

2. DCGOO

DCGOO Active Member

I thought that Dolby had been deprecated and removed... I know I do not have it on my 2018. Replaced with something called “Immersive sound” IIRC. I suspect performing a similar function, but without the licensing fees to Dolby Labs (just speculating, no real knowledge). It was on my 2015, but that car has been gone for a while.

3. glide

glide Member

My Dolby Sound option was replaced with “Immersive Sound” after upgrading to V9.

I notice no difference on any of the settings and am also not pleased that a feature was essentially removed from my vehicle.

4. golfbern

golfbern Member

I’m still dealing with this. 2017 model x and Dolby resets to off every time I stop driving. What’s the point of having it if I have to remember to put it on every time.

• Informative x 1
  5. mastermason11

mastermason11 Member

Same here on my 2016 X. Annoying

6. GazUK67

GazUK67 Member

Same issue also, 2017 MX. Sounds better with it on, but it just won’t stay on.

7. DrComputer

DrComputer Active Member

On my 2016 MX, I've noticed that after the firmware starts to get buggy and letters start dropping from the interface if I look at the sound setting it will say "Immersive Sound". But if I then reboot the MCU and go back and look it will be back to "Dolby Surround". I think they just have some bad programming in the current firmware.

8. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

This topic came up a long time ago, but I just checked mine and Dolby Sound switch is there and working.

old |v2019.8.5|AP2,MCU1,PUP|
    new |v2019.8.6|AP2,MCU1,PUP|

9. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

However, the bug from long ago is back: Dolby Sound shuts itself off, and stays off until set back on.

10. AnzacValentine

Same experience with my MX 2017 model. I had read and did notice at some point Dolby Surround was deprecated, but it's back now.

11. kev1n

kev1n Member

this happens to me every time i get into the car

12. tizio

tizio Member

I think the feature is reset every time it goes into deep sleep. If so, I would hope it's an easy fix.

Has everyone else reported the bug? If not, let's be the squeaky wheel and get them.to fix it.

13. Blaine

Blaine Member

I just bought a 2017 MX this week. Do all of them that came with PUP have either Dolby or Immersive sound? If so, where do I find the setting?

• Like x 1
  14. tizio

tizio Member

Congrats and welcome! Premium Upgrades Package was a separate line item from Ultra High Fidelity Sound when I bought mine.
    If equipped, you'll find that setting in the sound options page. Otherwise, I believe you'll have a storage nook in your trunk behind the right rear tail light if you have no sub woofer.

Attached Files:

15. Blaine

Blaine Member

Thanks @tizio I just looked in the trunk space and I do not have a storage nook on the right side. I was told that my MX that was from May 2017 may have had the hi fidelity sound rolled into premium upgrade package all as one package?? Maybe I just need to poke around within the settings again. Must be missing it somewhere. I am on 2019.8.5 software.

16. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Click on the equalizer icon, then there's an options button to hit.

17. spinky713

spinky713 New Member

The turning off of my Dolby is a problem I have been having for months, even with Tesla replacing my MCU. Right now my Dolby has disappeared all together and replaced with Immersive Sound - whatever that is. I did receive a text from someone named Camilio at Tesla, who says he is a remote technician, who claims that this is a known issue "being investigated by our engineers, a future firmware release will have a fix." that text was received April 19, 2019. Any news on when a new firmware release is anticipated?

18. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Interesting: Did you get MCU1 replaced with another MCU1, or MCU2? Also, do you have UHFS or not?
    My Dolby works but OFF sometimes in the morning.

19. bartvdk

bartvdk New Member

I have a 2017 Model X and had a 2014 Model S : both vehicles have this problem. After leaving and returning to the car Dolby Surround is turned of. Would be nice to get this topic noticed by Tesla.

20. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

So far with my new SW, it's (Dolby ON) sticking after 1.5 days.

old |v2019.8.6|AP2,MCU1,PUP|
    new |v2019.12.1.1|AP2,MCU1,PUP|