Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit damaged after driving in heavy rain -- SC won't cover under warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes the complaint is real. I was away from my computer the past couple of days, but really appreciate all of the input and advice in this thread.

While the issue is unfortunately still unresolved, my lawyer is continuing to demand a written explanation from the service center manager detailing why the damage isn’t covered under the warranty.

Additionally, I reached out to InsideEVs and the editor in chief responded right away and they’re going to be running a story about this. If you have experienced similar issues regarding either water damage to your drive unit or battery after driving through heavy rain or Tesla Service Centers not honoring the Battery and Drive Unit Warranty, feel free to reach out to me directly. I’ve already collected 4 other customer stories and more are welcome.
MS1994

I have the exact same issue occuring right now with my 2019 Model 3. The service center is saying I drove it through water - I can assure you I did not. I also argued that this is a design flaw and not a driver issue, therefore a warranty issue. My car is still in the shop and I'm not expected to get it for another week (if that is accurate) which will mean they have had the car for almost a month. I am beyond frustated at this point. If there is any weak link in the Tesla model it is their service centers. How can I get in touch with you and your attorney.

• Informative
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I also argued that this is a design flaw and not a driver issue, therefore a warranty issue.
As we have seen in some recent law suits, the warranty only covers defects in materials and workmanship. It does not cover design defects/flaws. (An exception to that would probably be if it is a safety issue that would prompt a recall.)

edit: The drive unit warranty wording is different, so it might be more inclusive. Though it could fall into the normal wear/deterioration exclusion. (If it is because of a seal failing over time with wear, which is the likely cause.)

Last edited:
I am an Australian owner, and have owned my 2016 P85D for 5 years. My only need for repairs so far have been collisions on country roads, once with a kangaroo, and the once with a wombat. We have had widespread flooding in eastern NSW the past 2 weeks, and on the south coast we have had in excess of 2 feet of rain. On Tuesday, March 8th, I drove the highway 100 miles from Sydney to home. Very heavy rain, but no flooded roadways. En route, I noted a warning light that the car might not restart after stopping, so was careful to keep driving straight home. Sure enough, after getting home and unloading the car, the car shut down, and would not restart, respond to key or phone messages, and the car would not accept the charger. I am as yet waiting for it to be towed back to Sydney for service and repair, so don't know the fault, but was interested to read your account above of "drive unit damage". I note on my app that the warranty on the vehicle covers the battery and the drive unit till Sept 26, 2024,

I will return to this forum when I have more info to share, but would not expect that driving on water affected roads--a normal condition of normal driving--could disable a Tesla. If that is an expectation, it is a game changer.

Reactions: Wol747
I had the same thing happened to my model 14 P85d, I drove it in moderate rain about a month ago, and the car lost power, Had it towed to the service center in White Plains NY and I was shocked when they told me the rear drive unit was dead, I have driven my car in much worse conditions before and nothing happened, the only difference is that I they honor the warranty and I got a new drive unit, I still had to pay for other parts like wiring harnesses and other things and my bill was 2600$ labor and parts, now I have to take my car back to the service center on monday, because the front bumper is horribly misaligned, and the rear seems to seat lower than the front, I'm not sure if they took my front bumper out for whatever reason or the tow truck might have done some damage but I'm taking it back to the service center one closer to me in Long island.

That is precisely my own experience, though it is yet to be towed away and repaired. Your story and those of others make me tremble in fear of what I am to expect over the next few days/weeks/months, as Tesla supply of parts for replacement is notoriously long and unreliable in Australia.

Doesn’t help after the fact but…

“So the moral of the story is that if you happen to own a Tesla (specifically an earlier Model S) then get it inspected prior to the end of your warranty coverage and make sure that the speed sensor and its associated hardware/seals are in good condition so that water intrusion into the motor and potential motor failure can hopefully be avoided.”

I am an Australian owner, and have owned my 2016 P85D for 5 years. My only need for repairs so far have been collisions on country roads, once with a kangaroo, and the once with a wombat. We have had widespread flooding in eastern NSW the past 2 weeks, and on the south coast we have had in excess of 2 feet of rain. On Tuesday, March 8th, I drove the highway 100 miles from Sydney to home. Very heavy rain, but no flooded roadways. En route, I noted a warning light that the car might not restart after stopping, so was careful to keep driving straight home. Sure enough, after getting home and unloading the car, the car shut down, and would not restart, respond to key or phone messages, and the car would not accept the charger. I am as yet waiting for it to be towed back to Sydney for service and repair, so don't know the fault, but was interested to read your account above of "drive unit damage". I note on my app that the warranty on the vehicle covers the battery and the drive unit till Sept 26, 2024,

I will return to this forum when I have more info to share, but would not expect that driving on water affected roads--a normal condition of normal driving--could disable a Tesla. If that is an expectation, it is a game changer.
Yes please put any information back here as well as the Oz section - as you say there's been a bit of a damp these last two weeks.....

Yeah I don't recommend teslas to my friends and family anymore. I only recommend it to my enemies and people I hate. Anyways in the past one would be scared to sue tesla because they might band you from buying another. But now with plenty of choices, albeit lack of supply, you can easily jump ship if tesla screws you and you successfully sue them and they band you from buying another. I would definitely get a lawyer and maybe even start a class action. You might end up easily affording a better made EV.

My MS has been at the Service Center for a week now after I had to get it towed when it shut off completely while driving.

It turns out the drive unit had water damage from driving through the rain. The car never went through deep water or was flooded, but the tech at the service center is saying if I went through a puddle at speed it could have pushed it into the drive unit. I drove the car for a week after this rainstorm and had no issues and the car was garaged when not driving.

The service center is not budging at all after I argued that this should be covered under warranty (it's under 8 years old/150k miles).

My main issue here is that a Model S should be able to drive through rain, even heavy rain, and not incur damage like this. If there's an issue with the seals or any of the components that protect the drive unit, which I've heard is an issue in older MS's, shouldn't that be covered under warranty?
This is one reason to lawyer up. it will be hard though to prove the the water came from rain on the top, not flood from the bottom.

Reactions: Gixx1300R
I've seen people drive through deep water in a gas car and get the engine flooded. I've also seen spark plugs short out. I don't know why people think that just because the car doesn't have spark plugs it can now be operated as a submarine. People that get water in their carburetor and thence into the pistons can completely ruin their engines, and believe me, it ain't covered.

YOU CANNOT DRIVE THROUGH DEEP WATER. You cannot drive fast through shallow water. In any car. In my experience, if you're not familiar with the road, and can't see it because of deep water, don't drive on it. It's just common sense. Gas cars have carburetors ON TOP of the engine, so might have a little leeway factored in, but just because electrics don't have a carburetor doesn't change things.

Sheesh. When I was learning to drive, I learned this and many other things. Nowadays I think that the licensing bureaus figure if you got to their building, you just have to be fit to drive. 'Tain't necessarily so.

I've seen people drive through deep water in a gas car and get the engine flooded. I've also seen spark plugs short out. I don't know why people think that just because the car doesn't have spark plugs it can now be operated as a submarine. People that get water in their carburetor and thence into the pistons can completely ruin their engines, and believe me, it ain't covered.

YOU CANNOT DRIVE THROUGH DEEP WATER. You cannot drive fast through shallow water. In any car. In my experience, if you're not familiar with the road, and can't see it because of deep water, don't drive on it. It's just common sense. Gas cars have carburetors ON TOP of the engine, so might have a little leeway factored in, but just because electrics don't have a carburetor doesn't change things.

Sheesh. When I was learning to drive, I learned this and many other things. Nowadays I think that the licensing bureaus figure if you got to their building, you just have to be fit to drive. 'Tain't necessarily so.

Pay no attention to the apologist troll who apparently missed the proclamation in this thread that nobody actually drove through deep water.

My MS has been at the Service Center for a week now after I had to get it towed when it shut off completely while driving.

It turns out the drive unit had water damage from driving through the rain. The car never went through deep water or was flooded, but the tech at the service center is saying if I went through a puddle at speed it could have pushed it into the drive unit. I drove the car for a week after this rainstorm and had no issues and the car was garaged when not driving.

The service center is not budging at all after I argued that this should be covered under warranty (it's under 8 years old/150k miles).

My main issue here is that a Model S should be able to drive through rain, even heavy rain, and not incur damage like this. If there's an issue with the seals or any of the components that protect the drive unit, which I've heard is an issue in older MS's, shouldn't that be covered under warranty?
We have a 2015 Model S P85D. It rained 3 times in Bay Area California since Dec 2021 to March 2022 (just normal rain, not even heavy). All 3 times my Tesla stopped driving after driving in the rain, and needed to be towed to service center! The first incident happened in Dec 2021. Tesla told us that the issue was something with the break module and the problem was resolved. Two weeks ago, we had some light rain in the area and my car stopped driving. It was towed to service center for diagnosis. They kept my car for two weeks and still could not find any issues with it. Apparently the car started working the very next day on its own when it dried up. They told me to pick up my car today and keep observing for the issue. Coincidentally, it rained today. We picked up the car from service center, drove it home in drizzles, left it in my drive way. 3 hours later we found the car not driving again! It just got towed to service center again. This is extremely frustrating, and right now we don't have any confidence with their service team to diagnose and repair the car properly. This car is like a flower, can't even drive it in the rain?!

• Informative
Reactions: Wol747 and Droschke
We have a 2015 Model S P85D. It rained 3 times in Bay Area California since Dec 2021 to March 2022 (just normal rain, not even heavy). All 3 times my Tesla stopped driving after driving in the rain, and needed to be towed to service center! The first incident happened in Dec 2021. Tesla told us that the issue was something with the break module and the problem was resolved. Two weeks ago, we had some light rain in the area and my car stopped driving. It was towed to service center for diagnosis. They kept my car for two weeks and still could not find any issues with it. Apparently the car started working the very next day on its own when it dried up. They told me to pick up my car today and keep observing for the issue. Coincidentally, it rained today. We picked up the car from service center, drove it home in drizzles, left it in my drive way. 3 hours later we found the car not driving again! It just got towed to service center again. This is extremely frustrating, and right now we don't have any confidence with their service team to diagnose and repair the car properly. This car is like a flower, can't even drive it in the rain?!
I wonder if it has the same affect with a touch less car wash.