Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit damaged after driving in heavy rain -- SC won't cover under warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MS has been at the Service Center for a week now after I had to get it towed when it shut off completely while driving.

It turns out the drive unit had water damage from driving through the rain. The car never went through deep water or was flooded, but the tech at the service center is saying if I went through a puddle at speed it could have pushed it into the drive unit. I drove the car for a week after this rainstorm and had no issues and the car was garaged when not driving.

The service center is not budging at all after I argued that this should be covered under warranty (it's under 8 years old/150k miles).

My main issue here is that a Model S should be able to drive through rain, even heavy rain, and not incur damage like this. If there's an issue with the seals or any of the components that protect the drive unit, which I've heard is an issue in older MS's, shouldn't that be covered under warranty?

...My main issue here is that a Model S should be able to drive through rain, even heavy rain, and not incur damage like this. If there's an issue with the seals or any of the components that protect the drive unit, which I've heard is an issue in older MS's, shouldn't that be covered under warranty?...
Agreed.

It's similar to the problem that Tesla did not cover for a Model 3's bumper that came off during heavy rain and the car drove through a very shallow puddle of water (ankle deep) near the road shoulder while turning right. Tesla initially refused to cover it until there was so much press coverage that it finally covered it.

ICE cars can survive heavy rains but Tesla's refusal to cover damages in heavy rain is problematic.

Maybe Tesla should make that clear in the warranty that its car cannot survive in heavy rain and any damages caused by heavy rain are not covered.

Otherwise, it should cover.

So what is someone to do for a resolution if they drive through the rain and have a drive unit issue they are refusing to cover under warranty?

Shouldn't they have to prove that the vehicle was intentionally abused beyond "normal use?"

Shouldn't they have to prove that the vehicle was intentionally abused beyond "normal use?"
I had the same thought, if OP have dashcam (or Sentry) recording it would be possible to prove that the violent driving through rain was just as any other day driving and they can’t blame customer for the problem. But it seems the driving happened quite a bit time ago so...

Reactions: Favguy
I had the same thought, if OP have dashcam (or Sentry) recording it would be possible to prove that the violent driving through rain was just as any other day driving and they can’t blame customer for the problem. But it seems the driving happened quite a bit time ago so...

Except the built in dashcam buffer is only one hour or otherwise you have to press the button to save just the last 10 minutes.

Given how we all drive in rain, it seems this "water argument" can be used to essentially not honor the entire drivetrain warranty!!!

I feel like they need t prove the vehicle was subject to "abnormal abuse" to avoid warranty responsibility rather than some abstract unproven theory that the car was essentially abused beyond normal use.

Isn't there a legal rationale for expecting the warranty to be valid under "normal use?"

So what is Tesla saying happened to your car then? Are they saying its been flooded? If thats what they are claiming ask for proof of that other than the DU, if water makes its' way into the DU its bound to make it in the interior and other components of the car. If they can't prove it, its simply a manufacturing error or something that needs to be replaced under warranty.

Reactions: jpk195
So what is Tesla saying happened to your car then? Are they saying its been flooded? If thats what they are claiming ask for proof of that other than the DU, if water makes its' way into the DU its bound to make it in the interior and other components of the car. If they can't prove it, its simply a manufacturing error or something that needs to be replaced under warranty.
The warranty has limitations:
1631725635996.png

Tesla will say you had to drive through "deep water" to get the water in the motor. But what is "deep water"? And of course the speed you drive through the water changes how much impact it will have on the car...

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot and bhzmark
View attachment 709649

Tesla will say you had to drive through "deep water" to get the water in the motor. But what is "deep water"? And of course the speed you drive through the water changes how much impact it will have on the car...
Very true, its a bit of a vague statement on Tesla's part but that leaves the SC at the discretion of deep water then. I would still definitely push for an under warranty repair though

View attachment 709649

Normally, a definition of a deep water is water above the lower door line, if water enters your car's interior. I completely agree that this failure should be covered by the warranty. I just had a similar situation.

Attachments

• IMG_1742.jpg
    IMG_1742.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 426
This is the current situation with my model S. I also drove through a heavy rain. Not standing water or a puddle