Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't want model Y anymore.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you considered the manufacturing costs of your new EV every year in your carbon footprint?

Let's face it, the only way that EVs reduce carbon footprint is over more miles than the average lifetime of a vehicle. If you change after a year, you're just having the shiny new phone - OMG!!! I need it. - Heat Pump!!! Heated Steering Wheel!!! - I don't condemn you for it, though. We all like new stuff. I do EV because I realise that sitting in traffic jams with no exhaust fumes makes city air quality better. And I like 0-60 in 3.4 (after rollout).
I charge off the grid, and my crappy M3P consumption over the last month is a real about 100g/km CO2. But I'm not giving any kids (in cities) asthma, which I like.

We all have our enthusiasms. We don't need to justify them, by cost or CO2. Teslas are expensive. they are not environmentally friendly. It is MUCH more sensible to run a 1970 Range Rover.

Teslas are quite fun though.
Frankly Teslas are by no means a great car but if you want an EV Tesla are the only people in the UK with a sensible and practical charging system

Reactions: NSS89 and candida
Have you considered the manufacturing costs of your new EV every year in your carbon footprint?

Let's face it, the only way that EVs reduce carbon footprint is over more miles than the average lifetime of a vehicle. If you change after a year, you're just having the shiny new phone - OMG!!! I need it. - Heat Pump!!! Heated Steering Wheel!!! - I don't condemn you for it, though. We all like new stuff. I do EV because I realise that sitting in traffic jams with no exhaust fumes makes city air quality better. And I like 0-60 in 3.4 (after rollout).
I charge off the grid, and my crappy M3P consumption over the last month is a real about 100g/km CO2. But I'm not giving any kids (in cities) asthma, which I like.

We all have our enthusiasms. We don't need to justify them, by cost or CO2. Teslas are expensive. they are not environmentally friendly. It is MUCH more sensible to run a 1970 Range Rover.

Teslas are quite fun though.
To date I have experienced zero depreciation, paid no road tax, no servicing, no tyres brakes etc, had a 1000 free supercharger miles per annum. I also have reduced pollution in London. Need I go on?
I am not the slightest bit concerned about my carbon footprint there are lots of other ways to reduce that. When the world gets interested starting to grow its food and manufacture most of what it needs locally again I will believe we have to get serious. However from a pollution stand point I cannot agree that it is more sensible to run a 1970 Range Rover which is neither economical or safe with current road conditions and usuage.

Those who believe they will keep their current EV forever probably should use a bike or a scooter which is the only 100% way to remove your motoring carbon footprint.

Actually this is exactly what I've done. Owing an EV really opened my eyes about how much energy I was wasting on pretty much pointless personal transportation. Changing cars regularly simply takes that to a whole different level.

I started commuting earnest on the pedal bike just before lockdown. This winter I've actually managed to do 50% of commutes to work on pedal bike (it would have been more but I hit the deck 2 weeks ago due to ice and only just got enough confidence to get back on the bike this week).

Come the summer am hoping the car will spend most of the time parked up, last year overall I managed 50% of my commute on the bike with the car doing the majority of commutes in winter, this year am aiming for 2/3 at least as long as I don't fall off the bike again before spring arrives :).

I'm also quite happy to never fly again, though my wife isn't so keen on that idea. I've thought about not eating meat, but that's a step too far for me right now.

On a grand scale of things I know it makes zero difference to anything, but at least am trying to do something. Though I suspect all my actions now will barely make up for the wasted energy I used in the past in the name of personal gratification when it comes to cars.

51771605257_6526dd9161_c_d.jpg

Last edited:
Have been at the front of the queue of ordering a Y but just not sure I can justify the additional cost. I do have three kids but we also have a Peugeout 5008 (7 seats).

If I go for a red (as a change as had white before) M3 2022 With 18 inch wheels (would apply Rimitrix Orbitals) it’s £45k.
Mileage - 317 miles.

If I go for red Y LR and 20’ wheels it’s £59k. Mileage - 331 miles.

Does an extra 14 miles & Y over M3 justify a £14k difference ???

Think I’ll change my Y order to a 3.

Assume I can get minimum £35,000 for my Nov-19 Model 3 SR+ 38k miles (WBAC 34k)

I'm also quite happy to never fly again, though my wife isn't so keen on that idea.
Would you expand a bit more on the idea of never flying again? I find myself really missing travel after two years locked down. UK weather being so unpredictable makes it really tricky to plan/enjoy a "staycation" with a high chance of being rained out (or rained in as the case may be).

Frankly Teslas are by no means a great car but if you want an EV Tesla are the only people in the UK with a sensible and practical charging system
Tesla superchargers are number 1, agreed. But there are now strong competitions for 2nd, 3rd etc. Osprey, especially with kempower is super cool. Then there is instavolt, ionity and gridserve. More competition is of course better for everyone.

I think the definition of great car is highly subjective, so let us move that out of the discussion.

Car manufacturers (all over the world including the Germans) now try and compare their cars especially EVs against Tesla and that make it as the gold standard or the benchmark against which other EVs are compared. The supercharger network is an integral part of the Tesla buying decision rather than just an icing on the cake. Most of the Tesla holders rarely use supercharger for regular commute unless we are doing long drives but still it forms the integral part of the decision as we spend more than £40,000 on our Teslas. Any car if we spend that much of money including the i3 which comes close to £35000 we will be looking at charging solutions even if we charge at home most of the time. That makes buying Tesla from good to great independent of ‘the car’

I am not sure other manufacturers still understand EV they are still keeping their umbilical cord of ICE cars intact when they try to move away from fossil fuels. It is not just about the car when it comes to EV. It is the whole model that needs to be changed that includes the car (a small fraction of the bigger picture), charging network, automation, business model of selling EVs, tariffs related to electricity etc.,I think Tesla has a much better understanding of these issues than the traditional car manufacturers. The one mistake traditional car makers keep doing again and again is not making any effort to restructure their dealership networks, that clearly points towards their lack of understanding of EV tech.

There are many other industries/MNCs that made the same mistake when a new tech or disruptive business model suddenly came up. Thomas cook, Nokia, Windows, Ferrari, Manchester United, so many to mention. Hopefully the german companies severe the ties with their dealerships and focus on selling cars direct to consumers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Campi
I think the definition of great car is highly subjective, so let us move that out of the discussion.

Car manufacturers (all over the world including the Germans) now try and compare their cars especially EVs against Tesla and that make it as the gold standard or the benchmark against which other EVs are compared. The supercharger network is an integral part of the Tesla buying decision rather than just an icing on the cake. Most of the Tesla holders rarely use supercharger for regular commute unless we are doing long drives but still it forms the integral part of the decision as we spend more than £40,000 on our Teslas. Any car if we spend that much of money including the i3 which comes close to £35000 we will be looking at charging solutions even if we charge at home most of the time. That makes buying Tesla from good to great independent of ‘the car’

I am not sure other manufacturers still understand EV they are still keeping their umbilical cord of ICE cars intact when they try to move away from fossil fuels. It is not just about the car when it comes to EV. It is the whole model that needs to be changed that includes the car (a small fraction of the bigger picture), charging network, automation, business model of selling EVs, tariffs related to electricity etc.,I think Tesla has a much better understanding of these issues than the traditional car manufacturers. The one mistake traditional car makers keep doing again and again is not making any effort to restructure their dealership networks, that clearly points towards their lack of understanding of EV tech.

There are many other industries/MNCs that made the same mistake when a new tech or disruptive business model suddenly came up. Thomas cook, Nokia, Windows, Ferrari, Manchester United, so many to mention. Hopefully the german companies severe the ties with their dealerships and focus on selling cars direct to consumers.
My one comment would be that ANY decent new EV from others (I mean some like Kia EV6, Hyundai Iconq 5, Mustang mach-e, polestar 2, etc), if you add all the bells and whistles as Teslas have, they become same priced (if not more) and even have less charging options...

Reactions: Campi
I don’t know how your M3P is being so CO2 unfriendly.
Charging at off peak times I’ve made around 33 g/Km of CO2 emissions over the month of December… January seems similar so far…
It’ll be better in the summer once my solar output starts picking up again and I charge off the solar panels.

That's from Tesla customer service. Even if it's early 2023, I'm going to wait it out as my current X seems to be probem free and I have the extended warranty in any case.

If it makes any difference, as some have suggested it does, the order I have in is for a Model X Plaid and I placed it within hours of orders opening in the UK.
I have the same ordered and am managing my own expectations to assume 2023. What was the first date that orders went live? I ordered on 28/1 so almost at the 1-year anniversary!

I don’t know how your M3P is being so CO2 unfriendly.
Charging at off peak times I’ve made around 33 g/Km of CO2 emissions over the month of December… January seems similar so far…
It’ll be better in the summer once my solar output starts picking up again and I charge off the solar panels.
203 kw/h at 273 g/kW/h (according to EvEnergy app, all from cheap period Octopus Go), total 55,000-odd g CO2; over the last month I've averaged about 375 wh/mile which is 2.66 miles per kw/h so 576 miles (sounds about right, I did 80 miles yesterday and used almost 50%), 55,000/576=95g per mile - or am I wrong? It wouldnt be the first time

203 kw/h at 273 g/kW/h (according to EvEnergy app, all from cheap period Octopus Go), total 55,000-odd g CO2; over the last month I've averaged about 375 wh/mile which is 2.66 miles per kw/h so 576 miles (sounds about right, I did 80 miles yesterday and used almost 50%), 55,000/576=95g per mile - or am I wrong? It wouldnt be the first time
Aaaaah, per mile!
95g per mile would be around 60g per Km which is actually still extremely good for a car of the size, weight and performance of a M3.
A crappy ICE low-powered car might do that. Maybe. :)

Reactions: candida