Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle permanent fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a terrible time with the door handles failing to present. I've had at least 6 failures - two in the past few weeks.

Is this still a problem on new cars? If it's been resolved, then is there a way to install the new design on my car?

thanks,
~Jay

Depends on what failure you're experiencing. If it's the small gear there's a stronger, skeletonized version that is an upgrade. Usually this is a nearly permanent fix. There's also a common problem where wires inside that were designed to move are zip tied to static parts which techs think "cleans up" the mess. In reality this causes wires to pull tight around corners & edges eventually causing failures. There can also be motor failure on the newer version handles but this is far less common & shouldn't be a common failure point in short intervals barring other exogenous forces.

It should be noted that slamming your doors cause these failures all the be magnified especially in the case of the small gear that commonly breaks due to the forces supported against the slamming of the door.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
When my gear broke I asked for replacements and they handed me 2 of these for free. I don't have the same failure rate, I've had 2 gears break and 1 set of wires (micro switches) break over 4 years and 75K miles. But hopefully the new design lasts longer.

Attachments

• IMG_1080.jpg
    IMG_1080.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 550
  • Informative
Reactions: outdoors
When my gear broke I asked for replacements and they handed me 2 of these for free. I don't have the same failure rate, I've had 2 gears break and 1 set of wires (micro switches) break over 4 years and 75K miles. But hopefully the new design lasts longer.
The newer style skeletonized one is on the left. This is the 3rd version of this part & is what Tesla has been using for a while now. ItsI much stronger than v2 but excessive slamming of the door will eventually still cause failure.

New design eliminates the micro switches and uses Hall sensors instead. The new design can be retrofitted to older cars. Tesla did that for the driver’s door on my 2013 P85.

I was told that if the gear or micro switch breaks, they repair the old handle in your car now (they used to replace the whole door handle assembly). In my case, the control module was flaky so they did the complete retrofit, which entails remotely mounting the control module and installing an adapter wiring harness between the retrofit door handle and the control module (original design had the control module incorporated into the door handle assembly).

I've had a terrible time with the door handles failing to present. I've had at least 6 failures - two in the past few weeks.

Is this still a problem on new cars? If it's been resolved, then is there a way to install the new design on my car?

thanks,
~Jay

I had 7 of them fail on my 2014. I had asked Tesla if they were replacing them with upgraded units and they told me that they weren't - they were just replacing in-kind. That policy may have changed. I hope it has.

The new design is apparently a lot better.

I had 7 of them fail on my 2014. I had asked Tesla if they were replacing them with upgraded units and they told me that they weren't - they were just replacing in-kind. That policy may have changed. I hope it has.

The new design is apparently a lot better.
More reliable? Yes. Better? That's to be determined.

The newest handle redesign decreases production cost and improves reliability but I believe one of the downsides is that it doesn't extend as far as the previous versions so the puddle lights in the bottom of the handles don't shine down the same way or at all.

I just experienced my first presenting door handle issue with my 7/2018 build. This morning after summoning it out of the garage (like every morning) I noticed the drivers door was opened but the handles were half way presented. Odd I thought so I closed the door. The handle retracted but it made a series of 3 humming noises. I unlocked the door and the handle tried to present but wouldn't. Instead it made those same 3 humming noises then the door popped open, handle stayed in. Its now at the point where its just making a constant humming noise (while parked or driving) and the handle will not present at all. I now have to crawl in via the passenger side to open the door.

Here is a sound clip of the hum from inside and outside of the car.
Dropbox - Door Handle Hum Noise.m4a - Simplify your life

I just experienced my first presenting door handle issue with my 7/2018 build. This morning after summoning it out of the garage (like every morning) I noticed the drivers door was opened but the handles were half way presented. Odd I thought so I closed the door. The handle retracted but it made a series of 3 humming noises. I unlocked the door and the handle tried to present but wouldn't. Instead it made those same 3 humming noises then the door popped open, handle stayed in. Its now at the point where its just making a constant humming noise (while parked or driving) and the handle will not present at all. I now have to crawl in via the passenger side to open the door.

Here is a sound clip of the hum from inside and outside of the car.
Dropbox - Door Handle Hum Noise.m4a - Simplify your life

Mine (9/2018 build) did the same thing. It was a showroom car and did it two weeks after I took possession last month. Schedule service to fix it, nothing you can do about it.

I just had the rear passenger one changed after I noticed it would not always open the door unless you pulled real hard on the handle (presented without any issue). The mobile ranger used the new version with separate controller. Had to drill holes in the inside door frame to attach the new electronics then had to program it to work. Hope my other 3 fail before the warranty expires based on all the reading I have done on versions 1 and 2...