Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door panel misalignment and paint chip, reject?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was scheduled to pickup on Friday, but Adelfi loan ended up not making the cutoff to be funded for the day, seems they are swamped. But was able to inspect the exterior and found a paint chip on the rear driver side door. Didn't get a chance to open the door, but it looks like the leading edge of the rear door is slightly proud of the front driver side door, causing the pointed corner to rub when opened. Is this worth rejecting the car over? Everything on the exterior looked good otherwise. Loan expected to fund on Monday morning and scheduled to pickup Monday afternoon. I told them about it and they said they would have someone look at it.

MYLR 7 seater has USS and worried if I reject, I'll get a non USS. Should I just ask for touch up paint and call it a day assuming they fix the door alignment?

IMG_5696.jpg

IMG_5697.jpg
IMG_5698.jpg

I would not reject this vehicle if this is the only issue. If the door opens and closes without binding the chip was caused by something else. You can request that Tesla Service touch up the door but you may not be satisfied with the result. The better option is to accept the vehicle, as is, and touch up this minor paint damage yourself. I recommend TouchUpDirect, also Dr. Colorchip. A paint chip that small, that low down will not be noticed once touched up.

I would not reject this vehicle if this is the only issue. If the door opens and closes without binding the chip was caused by something else. You can request that Tesla Service touch up the door but you may not be satisfied with the result. The better option is to accept the vehicle, as is, and touch up this minor paint damage yourself. I recommend TouchUpDirect, also Dr. Colorchip. A paint chip that small, that low down will not be noticed once touched up.
Back in the day we’d have thrilled if that’s all that was wrong with it. 😄

Mine had chips too, decided to take it and have the service center attempt to fix it. The biggest chip I got is pretty gnarly but located on the spoiler area on the LR. Worse case if they can’t fully fix it, going to ask them to send me a spoiler and if they laugh, I’ll just buy a 3rd party one.

There is a slight chip on the hood area that I’m hoping they can fix.

This is your last chance to get USS... but I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor since they are likely to stop using it the way they've stopped using radar on some cars. Tesla isn't going to want to support 2 ways of range finding for long. Once they get accurate distances using camera only, they will turn off USS entirely and you probably won't even notice.

Most people haven't noticed they turned radar off. I did and I'm sure plenty of others have, but my wife didn't and I doubt most people will.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Back in the day we’d have thrilled if that’s all that was wrong with it. 😄
Sad but true. And still sad.
This is your last chance to get USS... but I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor since they are likely to stop using it the way they've stopped using radar on some cars. Tesla isn't going to want to support 2 ways of range finding for long. Once they get accurate distances using camera only, they will turn off USS entirely and you probably won't even notice.

Most people haven't noticed they turned radar off. I did and I'm sure plenty of others have, but my wife didn't and I doubt most people will.
It actually doesn’t matter - Tesla will deactivate the ultrasonic sensors with a software update either way. If you’re not ok with that then you need to get another car.

The ironic part is Tesla is giving new buyers an opportunity to cancel their order for cars that don’t have the sensors, but for people that do have them and then get them deactivated they do nothing. If they feel compelled to notify people about removing a feature before purchase, why is is ok to eliminate it after purchase?

Agree with jcanoe -- maybe ask for a free touchup paint from Tesla before you seal the deal. I've had pretty good luck with Tesla's paint kit. Maybe not perfect but makes a chip like that barely noticeable.

Doors look pretty Tesla-perfect for me. If it does rub, they might be able to adjust the door.

That chip, they can fix it. Note it with the Advisor and then schedule to be repaired.

You'll probably get a door ding in a week and then you're even haha.

It actually doesn’t matter - Tesla will deactivate the ultrasonic sensors with a software update either way. If you’re not ok with that then you need to get another car.

The ironic part is Tesla is giving new buyers an opportunity to cancel their order for cars that don’t have the sensors, but for people that do have them and then get them deactivated they do nothing. If they feel compelled to notify people about removing a feature before purchase, why is is ok to eliminate it after purchase?
That's not what they said (yes I realize it's a bit waffly)

Doors look pretty Tesla-perfect for me. If it does rub, they might be able to adjust the door.

That chip, they can fix it. Note it with the Advisor and then schedule to be repaired.

You'll probably get a door ding in a week and then you're even haha.
I was just thinking the same about my own predicament. Caring about all these chips that I'm pretty sure when I drive the car back after the repairs, it'll get chipped, lmao.

I’d reject for a chance to get a car without ultrasonic sensors (USS). Tesla will disable USS anyhow in future so now is your chance to get a car without the circular blemishes which will serve no purpose in near future. Dont try to fix paint chip yourself. Unless you have experience, you won’t like the do it yourself result. if Tesla doesn’t give a paint shop the right budget the result won’t be to your liking. Why risk it. I chipped the paint in same area when door hit a small brick curb by coincidence. I used Tesla’s paint fix kit with not fantastic results. But my chip was much smaller than yours.

My MYLR7 had a paint chip at delivery (late June 2022) very similar to yours. I scheduled service via the app and when I arrived for my scheduled appointment for repair, I asked what they were going to do. The service person said they could touch it up or send it off to one of their certified body shops to get properly repaired. It was up to me so I opted to send it off to the body shop. Took about 6 days to get the car back.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
My MYLR7 had a paint chip at delivery (late June 2022) very similar to yours. I scheduled service via the app and when I arrived for my scheduled appointment for repair, I asked what they were going to do. The service person said they could touch it up or send it off to one of their certified body shops to get properly repaired. It was up to me so I opted to send it off to the body shop. Took about 6 days to get the car back.
How’d it look?

Reactions: ElectricIAC

I don't care whether the car has a specific chunk of hardware on board. What I care about is that it does the thing they promise it does.

In the case of Autopilot, it performs better than it did the day I bought the car even though radar is now disabled. I have zero complaints about that.

I suspect USS will be similar. It'll be worse for a bit, then it'll be just as good or better a few months down the road. I'm sure we'll see in a few months.

I had the same on my Model Y 7 seater, driver side rear door not aligned, when opened it would nick the front door at the exact same sharp body line. Lucky I discovered this within 24 hrs of delivery and had the service center align the door and they performed touch up paint to fix the small paint chip.

Here’s mine. First pic shows how the door wasn't aligned with the body panels.. Second photo the body portion of the door with the nick, and when opening the door it hits the front door and causing the paint scratching.

Attachments

• 41D9B9E7-83A0-4F63-9BBB-453DEF120E6E.png
    41D9B9E7-83A0-4F63-9BBB-453DEF120E6E.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 114
  • 8CADF7E4-BACC-421F-8975-BE6B8671AC94.png
    8CADF7E4-BACC-421F-8975-BE6B8671AC94.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 114
  • 53E5A9B6-12B9-463C-8DB7-96F10EE86410.png
    53E5A9B6-12B9-463C-8DB7-96F10EE86410.png
    663.5 KB · Views: 115