TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Door sill kick plates... argh.

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Caligula, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Caligula

Caligula Member

Well, I managed to slightly dent the drivers side aluminum door sill plate (the ones that say "model S" on the inside of the door opening). It looks like something that's relatively easy to replace, however depending on cost and labor involved, I may just live with it. In any case, has anyone replaced and/or priced these things out?

And if anyone was wondering, I let a plastic shopping bag with a can in it slide off the seat and down onto the plate as I was exiting the vehicle. I really didnt expect there to even be a scuff but here we are.

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

I have no idea how much they cost but I've seen some VERY nice aftermarket sills that are likely competitive or cheaper. Check posts from @artsci or other interior experts on this forum.

3. lvhernan

lvhernan Member

I scratched my door sill. Paid around $120 for ranger to come and install (parts and labor). Then I had it wrapped with expel. I know it is overkill, but happy with results.

4. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

A ranger replaced one of mine, it's held on with two-side foam tape like trim and emblems, easy to DIY change. The old one will get damaged on removal (just pry it off).

5. sorka

sorka Active Member

The labor is about 30 seconds but you might break a clip so it's good to have a few extra.

- - - Updated - - -

They replaced just the aluminum inlay and not the whole trim piece?

6. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

Yep

7. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

8. Caligula

Caligula Member

This is great news, my OCD approved. Thanks everyone!

9. BertL

BertL Active Member

Once replaced, I suggest you spend $16 and get a strip of Xpel from Amazon, then apply it over your new plates. I bought a strip that is intended for the lower sill area, but it's just wide enough you can remove the backing, lay it over the metallic plate, then use a new Xacto blade to easily run around the edges to remove the excess. Looks super and if you do have any small hairline scratches, they'll disappear in the process. It won't help if you dent the plates again, but it will solve the scuffs problem that at least for me is of even greater concern -- as you can easily pull the Xpel off and put another piece down one day if need be.

10. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

#10 ArtInCT, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    I recall a picture that I saved from someone here on TMC who had a door sill plate mounted inside their FRUNK in a plastic frame.
    It really looked sharp. I will see if I can find that picture and post it here.... letting my fingers do the walking....

Ok Found it.... I REALLY WANT ONE OF THESE!

Ideas on where this came from??? How to get one?

Frunk Plaque Door Sill in 2015-Tesla-Model-S-P85D-128-876x535.jpg