Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrade 11.4.x back to 11.3.x?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you mean by "manually opt out"?
I had assumed that once you’re enrolled in FSDbeta, there is still a button/option somewhere in the settings you can press to opt out of FSDbeta… which I am hoping would then allow your vehicle to revert & update to the latest non-FSD software stack (2023.20.4.1). Of course, the above may not actually be possible, which is why I posed the scenario/question in my previous post.

Last edited:
I had assumed that once you’re enrolled in FSDbeta, there is still a button/option somewhere in the settings you can press to opt out of FSDbeta… which I am hoping would then allow your vehicle to revert & update to the latest non-FSD software stack (2023.20.4.1). Of course, the above may not actually be possible, which is why I posed the scenario/question in my previous post.
The only way to get off FSD Beta 11.4.x is to send an email asking Tesla to be removed from the FSD Beta program. Don't know if anyone has been able to move to 10.3.6 by doing this. I'm not willing to be the first to try this.

There is no opt-out button. Once you're in, you're in for life.

Actually, as I recall, you need to send an email to something like [email protected] with your VIN and request to be removed and put back on the main production software branch. Others who did this reported it taking several weeks and multiple emails.

Thanks, guys. Oh well, it was worth a shot/question. Obviously, I won’t go through the hassle of sending an email to opt out. Like everyone else, I’ll just wait patiently for Tesla to update those of us on 11.4.4 with the more recent features found in the current non-FSD software branch (2023.20.4.1)

So, I just saw this on the TeslaFi software tracker. As you can see, someone previously on 11.4.4 (2023.7.20) just got updated to the other mainstream FSDbeta branch 11.3.6 (2023.20.7) which contains all the latest software features like scroll wheel customization, larger font/text size, gear chimes, etc…

I wonder if this means Tesla is finally giving/updating all OG FSDbeta testers (who are currently on 11.4.4) to the latest mainstream software branch. If so, this is the “downgrade” path and branch unification that we all have been waiting for….🤞

IMG_7249.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: edseloh
So, I just saw this on the TeslaFi software tracker. As you can see, someone previously on 11.4.4 (2023.7.20) just got updated to the other mainstream FSDbeta branch 11.3.6 (2023.20.7) which contains all the latest software features like scroll wheel customization, larger font/text size, gear chimes, etc…

I wonder if this means Tesla is finally giving/updating all OG FSDbeta testers (who are currently on 11.4.4) to the latest mainstream software branch. If so, this is the “downgrade” path that we all have been waiting for….🤞

View attachment 954166
Perhaps different branches for HW3 vs HW4? 11.4.4 seems to be performing well on HW4 vehicles, not so well in HW3 (2022 Y here, 11.4.4 is pretty rough). Maybe all of us HW3 users will get put back on 11.3.6? Speculation.

Perhaps different branches for HW3 vs HW4? 11.4.4 seems to be performing well on HW4 vehicles, not so well in HW3 (2022 Y here, 11.4.4 is pretty rough). Maybe all of us HW3 users will get put back on 11.3.6? Speculation.
The vehicle that received the mentioned update is a model 3. So, that vehicle definitely does not have HW4. That model 3 likely has HW3, just like us

I wonder if this means Tesla is finally giving/updating all OG FSDbeta testers (who are currently on 11.4.4) to the latest mainstream software branch. If so, this is the “downgrade” path and branch unification that we all have been waiting for….🤞

View attachment 954166
Most likely someone let their FSD subscription lapse and has been moved back to the production branch. 2023.20.7 is not just for FSDb users.

Most likely someone let their FSD subscription lapse and has been moved back to the production branch. 2023.20.7 is not just for FSDb users.
It was my understanding that people who subscribed to FSD (or could subscribe) were getting 2023.20.7, and that people who owned FSD were getting 2023.7.20. So 2023.20.7 is just for subscribers. Given that, I can't imagine why someone would go from 7.20 to 20.7. It suggests that they stopped owning FSD.

Perhaps people who own FSD and opt out of the beta test can go to the infotainment branch. Has anyone else who owns FSD left beta after being in it?

It was my understanding that people who subscribed to FSD (or could subscribe) were getting 2023.20.7, and that people who owned FSD were getting 2023.7.20. So 2023.20.7 is just for subscribers. Given that, I can't imagine why someone would go from 7.20 to 20.7. It suggests that they stopped owning FSD.

Perhaps people who own FSD and opt out of the beta test can go to the infotainment branch. Has anyone else who owns FSD left beta after being in it?
There are a lot of FSD subscribers with 11.4.4. It's really a matter of what software you have when you get FSDb. Tesla does not downgrade the main software, so, if you are on 2023.20.x, you cannot be switched to 2023.7.20 because that is going backwards. Since the end of last year, It has been difficult for new owners or subscribers to get FSDb because the main software branch pulled ahead of the FSDb branch. Now, anyone (with HW3) should be able to get FSDb in minutes if they install 2023.20.7. HW4 owners are still hosed as FSDb 11.3.6 does not support HW4. It is hoped that 2023.26.x will have 11.4.4 baked in, which does support HW4.

If you are an FSD subscriber who wants to move back to the production software branch, you can take advantage of a loophole by letting your subscription expire. Tesla will then send you the latest production software, which now has FSDb 11.3.6. After getting it, you resubscribe. This gets you an older version of FSDb, but newer version of everything else.

This only works for FSD subscribers, not owners. Owners might be able to switch by sending an email to [email protected] with their VIN and request. That has been the only way for an FSD owner to get off the FSDb branch in the past.

It's all been a bit of a complex mess and will likely continue that way for a while.

Is it possible to downgrade back to an earlier version of FSD? 11.3.x was 10x better than 11.4.x is and I literally can't drive 5mins on 11.4.x without having to intervene in some form or fashion.

1. Leaving my house is an unmarked road, FSD has struggled VERY hard with this road until 11.3.x, when it was able to do it almost perfect every time IE staying on the right portion of the road. 11.4.x has brought back the game of chicken to the point of un-usability as I have to take over if anyone is coming or they will honk at me for being in the middle of the road till the very VERY last second
  2. Going straight and a nonfactor turn lane comes: pre 11.3.x the car would maybe or maybe not take random turn lanes out of the blue, but 11.4.x takes them virtually every time :(
  3. Ghost braking: this has always been an issue to some extent, but 11.4.x has been a horrendous downgrade from previous iterations, it will almost come to complete stop at green lights by my house for some reason. Ones it hasn't had issues at since pre 10.x.x?
  4. Navigation on multi lane non-highway roads: This has been problematic with all versions, but the last version of 11.3.x was able to get me across DFW metroplex with little to no interventions aside changing speeds quite a few times (it's a wild drive at some points). 11.4.x I have 0 chance of doing without causing some major inconvenience for other drivers, and dangerous issues as well
Overall, I will say some of the maneuvers are a bit more crisp and better, as well as more aggressive which is nice. But as far as usability 11.4.x has been a major let down as it has made full trips once again unusable :( I know it's part of progression, but it's sad to see it perform so well to just randomly be unable to do the basic routes it once could without intervention.

EDIT: I'm on 11.4.3 btw
Exact same issues here. Very disappointing and confusing how this sort of thing can happen. How does an update make so many things worse?

Reactions: legendsk
Exact same issues here. Very disappointing and confusing how this sort of thing can happen. How does an update make so many things worse?
It's been 1 or 2 steps forward 1 or 2 steps back since 2021. They keep changing the base code. I expect v12 to be a major regression as well, especially considering 11.4.X has a lot of the AI replacement in v12 according to Elon. It's all part of testing and allowing Tesla to figure out the right way forward.

Reactions: Olafagus
Thanks, guys. Oh well, it was worth a shot/question. Obviously, I won’t go through the hassle of sending an email to opt out. Like everyone else, I’ll just wait patiently for Tesla to update those of us on 11.4.4 with the more recent features found in the current non-FSD software branch (2023.20.4.1)

I have been sending "Opt out" emails since Nov of 2021 as I am the apparently "rare" person who did NOT want FSD beta, I wanted to stay on regular FSD and have my car continue to get regular feature updates. To date, I have sent 7 different emails to 2 different email addresses, and get boilerplate responses about reporting FSDb issues but not acknowledging or addressing my request to let me go back to "regular FSD" and opt out of "FSDB".

Ill repeat that. Almost 2 years of sending emails asking to opt out of FSDb and go back to FSD, since FSDb was staged to my car without my request / pushing the FSDb button, have gone ignored. I did apply the update in 2021 that had FSDb in it, but didnt know it had FSDb in it because I dont follow this stuff closely.

Since that time, I have been unable to get off FSDb. My car has paid for FSD (not a subscription) so I cant unsubscribe and re subscribe.

I have yet to even turn on FSDb, and every 6 weeks or so the car prompts me in the card area to "Try fsd beta" which I swipe away and ignore.

So, I dont think its possible to opt out, or if so, I havent found a way to, and would welcome anyones instructions on what email address to use to do so. I tried both the fsd beta and early access email addresses with my request, to no avail.

Is it possible to downgrade back to an earlier version of FSD? 11.3.x was 10x better than 11.4.x is and I literally can't drive 5mins on 11.4.x without having to intervene in some form or fashion.

1. Leaving my house is an unmarked road, FSD has struggled VERY hard with this road until 11.3.x, when it was able to do it almost perfect every time IE staying on the right portion of the road. 11.4.x has brought back the game of chicken to the point of un-usability as I have to take over if anyone is coming or they will honk at me for being in the middle of the road till the very VERY last second
  2. Going straight and a nonfactor turn lane comes: pre 11.3.x the car would maybe or maybe not take random turn lanes out of the blue, but 11.4.x takes them virtually every time :(
  3. Ghost braking: this has always been an issue to some extent, but 11.4.x has been a horrendous downgrade from previous iterations, it will almost come to complete stop at green lights by my house for some reason. Ones it hasn't had issues at since pre 10.x.x?
  4. Navigation on multi lane non-highway roads: This has been problematic with all versions, but the last version of 11.3.x was able to get me across DFW metroplex with little to no interventions aside changing speeds quite a few times (it's a wild drive at some points). 11.4.x I have 0 chance of doing without causing some major inconvenience for other drivers, and dangerous issues as well
Overall, I will say some of the maneuvers are a bit more crisp and better, as well as more aggressive which is nice. But as far as usability 11.4.x has been a major let down as it has made full trips once again unusable :( I know it's part of progression, but it's sad to see it perform so well to just randomly be unable to do the basic routes it once could without intervention.

EDIT: I'm on 11.4.3 btw
Wait till you get 11.4.7.2
It's the worst yet. For the first time in 2 years I find it more relaxing to drive myself than let FSD drive. It slows dramatically for parked cars but not at all for a car pulling out of a driveway in front of me. It tries to go through red lights. Just yesterday it made a left turn in front of an oncoming car which would have been fine if it had made the move confidently but instead it pulled into the lane hesitantly then noticed the oncoming car approaching quickly so it rocketed across the rest of the lane so fast that it almost slammed into a curb. I'm almost giving up on this version.

Reactions: DrChaos
Wait till you get 11.4.7.2
It's the worst yet. For the first time in 2 years I find it more relaxing to drive myself than let FSD drive. It slows dramatically for parked cars but not at all for a car pulling out of a driveway in front of me. It tries to go through red lights. Just yesterday it made a left turn in front of an oncoming car which would have been fine if it had made the move confidently but instead it pulled into the lane hesitantly then noticed the oncoming car approaching quickly so it rocketed across the rest of the lane so fast that it almost slammed into a curb. I'm almost giving up on this version.
I drove from SC to Orlando and then all over Orlando exclusively using FSD on 11.4.7.2 and it's been insanely good. Maybe it's overfit for Orlando? It's probably the best I've seen it city traffic.