Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downsides of Performance vs Long Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I get closer to buying a Model 3, I had questions about the Performance vs the Long Range version. I test drove both and was impressed with both, and while the Performance seemed crazy fast, I did not notice a big difference between the acceleration of the two. In fact, two Tesla salespeople said that if I wasn’t going to race/rally the car, I should go with the Long Range.

Are there disadvantages to the Performance? So far, I’ve heard the following:

1. Reduction in range, especially for lead-footed people like me. Range is always a consideration - not so much for around town when I will charge at night at my house, but on long trips, when extra miles count. Are there any stats on the loss of range between the two cars or personal observations?

2. Lower to the ground. I am all for protecting the battery, but I assume there is a decent skid plate or frame protection. Correct? And I heard that the difference in height from ground between Long Range and Performance is minor. Is the difference noticeable?

3. Price. I do question whether the $10k premium is worth it. At some point, you have to wonder whether the major upgrades are already met in the Long Range and the extra money for Performance does not result in a payoff for the recreational driver. I don’t want to be like those kids that buy Honda’s and put in thousands of dollars worth of performance add-ons, but are still the same Honda models - just with things the average driver doesn’t need.

The carbon wing is nice looking. As for the heavier duty brakes, several Tesla owners have told me that it’s all about regenerative braking in EVs, and that the goal is to not use the brakes except for the final part of stopping or in emergencies. (thus the statement by Elon about never having to have brake work done). That makes the bigger brakes more eye candy if the car won’t be raced, right?.

Anything else distinguishing the two cars that I have missed? Thanks in advance for your responses. - Rob

Reactions: AustinPowers
1. As far as I know the range hit comes from getting AWD vs RWD. I'm not sure there is a big difference between AWD and P other than the small difference from the wheels\tires.

2. It is only 1cm, so not a major drop

3. This is the big difference other than the acceleration :) I guess track mode + brakes would be the other main differences.

I’m wondering if there is a range penalty on the 20” wheels. As it is, if I get the Long Range I would want the 19” sport wheels. Thanks.
There has to be a slight hit as they are heavier. Many here say that you make it up in the regen but regen isn't close to 1:1. Regardless. I think this should be something you consider but it should be way down on the list of importance.

The other issue with the 20's besides the weight are potholes. If you live where you don't have to worry about them, you're set. If you have to worry about them, you might be in for an expensive surprise every now and then.

I have the Performance and don't regret it at all. The slight drop really isn't that noticeable but you can see it if you're parked next to a non Performance. (The different wheel/tire combo probably enhances that difference as well.) The difference in acceleration was much more noticeable, IMO. I have a set of 19"s coming in shortly to replace the 20"s as we do have a lot of potholes in my neck of the woods. The 19"s will also be about 8-9 lbs lighter per corner so that should actually help in most metrics.

The Performance model forces you to take the 20” wheels ... terrible in snow, not good with potholes.

I’ve decided the AWD LR is the sweet spot for me. Max range, all wheel drive, and I can put the 18” wheels on.

I’m not track racing, just a daily driver. The Performance model doesn’t mean anything to me .......

There has to be a slight hit as they are heavier. Many here say that you make it up in the regen but regen isn't close to 1:1. Regardless. I think this should be something you consider but it should be way down on the list of importance.

The other issue with the 20's besides the weight are potholes. If you live where you don't have to worry about them, you're set. If you have to worry about them, you might be in for an expensive surprise every now and then.

I have the Performance and don't regret it at all. The slight drop really isn't that noticeable but you can see it if you're parked next to a non Performance. (The different wheel/tire combo probably enhances that difference as well.) The difference in acceleration was much more noticeable, IMO. I have a set of 19"s coming in shortly to replace the 20"s as we do have a lot of potholes in my neck of the woods. The 19"s will also be about 8-9 lbs lighter per corner so that should actually help in most metrics.

Interesting. I was thinking of the Long Range, but with 19” sporwheels. As for acceleration, I currently drive an Audi S5 with a large V8. I love the car, yet the Long Range would leave it way behind from 0-60.

The Performance model forces you to take the 20” wheels ... terrible in snow, not good with potholes.

I’ve decided the AWD LR is the sweet spot for me. Max range, all wheel drive, and I can put the 18” wheels on.

I’m not track racing, just a daily driver. The Performance model doesn’t mean anything to me .......

Reactions: dhrivnak
Phrasing my question differently - Other than price, is there any reason NOT to get the Performance model? Note that while someday I might find myself regularly back in southern New England with occasional snow and potholes, for the next few years at least the car will be in Scottsdale, Arizona. The roads in my area are generally very good, as long as I don’t go off pavement (and should I need to do that, I will have my wife’s old Subaru Forester to borrow) or spend a lot of time in road construction areas. Plus, unless I am in the mountains, snow is not an issue.

Yes, The 10K difference is mostly for software. Is that smart shopping? There is no physical difference unlike most other brands performance models. Of course, the P is faster, but does it stop faster? Does it corner faster? It's just faster by software, not by design. Think about it and spend your 10K on some other passion or hobby and now you'll still have a very fast car with a lot more fun.

Reactions: Rajraj22
Yes, The 10K difference is mostly for software. Is that smart shopping? There is no physical difference unlike most other brands performance models. Of course, the P is faster, but does it stop faster? Does it corner faster? It's just faster by software, not by design. Think about it and spend your 10K on some other passion or hobby and now you'll still have a very fast car with a lot more fun.
Why does it matter if it's software? And also, not all trim levels with more performance have material physical differences. Often it's just better programming and maybe an air intake. If it's a forced induction vehicle often it's 100% software.

The P does corner faster, but will not stop faster on the street.

Reactions: bhzmark
As I get closer to buying a Model 3, I had questions about the Performance vs the Long Range version. I test drove both and was impressed with both, and while the Performance seemed crazy fast, I did not notice a big difference between the acceleration of the two. In fact, two Tesla salespeople said that if I wasn’t going to race/rally the car, I should go with the Long Range.

Are there disadvantages to the Performance? So far, I’ve heard the following:

1. Reduction in range, especially for lead-footed people like me. Range is always a consideration - not so much for around town when I will charge at night at my house, but on long trips, when extra miles count. Are there any stats on the loss of range between the two cars or personal observations?

2. Lower to the ground. I am all for protecting the battery, but I assume there is a decent skid plate or frame protection. Correct? And I heard that the difference in height from ground between Long Range and Performance is minor. Is the difference noticeable?

3. Price. I do question whether the $10k premium is worth it. At some point, you have to wonder whether the major upgrades are already met in the Long Range and the extra money for Performance does not result in a payoff for the recreational driver. I don’t want to be like those kids that buy Honda’s and put in thousands of dollars worth of performance add-ons, but are still the same Honda models - just with things the average driver doesn’t need.

The carbon wing is nice looking. As for the heavier duty brakes, several Tesla owners have told me that it’s all about regenerative braking in EVs, and that the goal is to not use the brakes except for the final part of stopping or in emergencies. (thus the statement by Elon about never having to have brake work done). That makes the bigger brakes more eye candy if the car won’t be raced, right?.

Anything else distinguishing the two cars that I have missed? Thanks in advance for your responses. - Rob

Excluding Tires. Performance and AWD Range is identical.

Acceleration is NOT the same.

Lower to the ground is insignificant. 1 cm?

The only negative for some folks is the wheels, tires and the brakes (limiting your options on wheels/tires)

The brakes are for the TRACK and look cool. And you get Track Mode.
Stock brakes can stop just as quick, but will heat up faster.

Lots of complaints with those factory wheels because they are soft and VERY prone to bending.

OEM 20" tires should never be driven below 20F. You'll ruin them. Some would argue your crazy to drive them even below 40F because they just are not designed for cold weather. And they should never touch snow or ice.

You will take a hit on Range with 20" Wheels. And you cannot put the most efficient wheels from Tesla on the car (18" Aero's).
You can put aftermarket 20" harder rims or 18" lightweight wheels and get close to Aero range.

Choose wisely.

Since you didn't notice the acceleration difference, I think the answer is obvious ;)

I was pondering getting the Performance version for a while, but then decided against it. For a start, it was just way cheaper to do so.
Second, while I love quick acceleration, the normal LR AWD stats suffice for me. Add in the slightly longer range and the smaller wheels (meaning cheaper running costs, especially with the winter tires), it became a no-brainer to forego the Performance version.

Reactions: mswlogo

Which exact 19" wheels fit and are lighter than the stock 20? I've been told the tesla 19" wheels from the model 3 (non-performance) don't fit.

• Disagree
Reactions: Watts_Up
I’m not going to take my P to the track near often enough to call it a value on that basis, but man do I get a smile on my face every time I feel that acceleration! It’s great around corners too. Totally worth it to me. If I couldn’t feel the acceleration, though... not so much.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Old thread
Difference is 4.4 vs 3.2 sec
As some said fast vs crazy fast
19 don’t fit in place of 20 because of the performance brakes
Performance will always have a place on the track which is desirable for some.
The range is now the same between the awd long range and performance.
Range and speed are at cross purposes unless you Chill.
So if money is an object you have your answer