Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dr Taras' Model S gets customized!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will this mess up battery range?

My guess would be that the impact would be relatively small. If you have a 1200W system, remember that is peak power. It's the avg, or 'nominal' watt usage per hour. Lets say nominal (continuous) is 600W/hr. If you drive and have that on for 4 hrs, that is 2.4kWh. If you have an 85kWh battery...does it impact range? Sure, but it's relatively negligible.

What you don't want to do is kill the small 12V battery that would make the Model S go 'dead'. Therefore, I would assume there is at least another huge 12V battery and a few farad capacitors to prevent any of that from happening.

I've hooked up several of these systems in previous cars myself, all self-taught. So I'm no expert, I'd love to hear other more experienced opinions.

3-piece forged wheels... sneak peak :cool:
1639_547390975292836_2118907322_n.jpg

Al and Ed's needs to apply for a TV reality series ala West Coast Customs style. Would love to see the entire build up, including all the "tense" drama involved. :biggrin:

Looking forward to seeing the final product. Looks awesome in bits and pieces so far.

Al and Ed's needs to apply for a TV reality series ala West Coast Customs style.
Been there, done that! :eek:
Watch My Ride Rules | Foxy Meets Ferrari online | Free | Hulu

- - - Updated - - -

Will this mess up battery range?
In my Roadster, they needed to place a separate 12V for the audio system, but this time, they ran the numbers and consulted with Tesla and do not believe it is necessary. If I get stuck on the I-5 somewhere, the 1st call will be to AAA & the 2nd will be a post here to A&E! :cursing:

In my Roadster, they needed to place a separate 12V for the audio system, but this time, they ran the numbers and consulted with Tesla and do not believe it is necessary. If I get stuck on the I-5 somewhere, the 1st call will be to AAA & the 2nd will be a post here to A&E! :cursing:

I think someone told me (but I can't remember who so take this with a grain of salt) that the Model S is able to draw 12V power from the main battery. I think the 12V battery is just a backup or used under very limited circumstances.

I think someone told me (but I can't remember who so take this with a grain of salt) that the Model S is able to draw 12V power from the main battery. I think the 12V battery is just a backup or used under very limited circumstances.

It better be like that because I like to play music loud in my car while it is parked for a while.
The 12V should just be used for power before the disconnect is disengaged~remote access and proximity sensor stuff

The 12V battery is charged off the main battery pack. The battery is rated for 35 Ah by itself. It's used for just about everything other than the inverters and drive motor (lights, computers, displays, and the many motors such as fans, wipers, windows, etc). The HVAC compressor may be powered from the main pack (it's quite high wattage compared to other devices), but that's never been confirmed.

Rear Seat Entertainment - 7" Video Screens in a Tesla Model S

There are a lot of amazing DIYers on this blog. All along, I've admitted that I'm not one of them.
And all along I've mentioned that while I don't have the eye for the fine detail going into a project,
my highest complement can be, "looks like it was a manufacturing factory install!"
I thought twice about 'cluttering' up my post with these before, during & after pictures,
but it shows the amazing process that goes into something in the end that looks like
a factory install! Hope you enjoy them as much as I do! :love:
484161_547759891922611_625216836_n.jpg
10066_547710235260910_1885426398_n.jpg
482155_547772955254638_1957479963_n.jpg

20130327_150558.jpg
photo_3 (1).jpg
20130327_150541.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

@DrTaras
Where is my daily fix? Need my daily update/image
:biggrin:
Been swamped at work & my pimp (Elie) wasn't supplying me with enough photos...
This afternoon, I had a surgery cancel on me so I thought... since I won't be making money this afternoon,
let me go see how I'm spending my money! And I forged through L.A. traffic nearly an hour to,
after about a week of not seeing "A Tesla The Hun!," go take pictures for you!
(but first I had to Google where "Regio Utrecht" was) :tongue:

A Tesla the Hun! - Unveiling this weekend & you're invited!

A Tesla the Hun! - Unveiling this weekend & you're invited! :rolleyes:
Love to meet you at Super Car Sunday:
Sunday 3/31 from 8 - 9:30 AM at the Westfield Promenade in Woodland Hills.

We'll be in the parking lot that abuts Topanga & Erwin.

Here's more info on the weekly event (which I go to about every 1-2 months):
www.SuperCarSunday.com/location

- - - Updated - - -

The 12V battery is charged off the main battery pack. The battery is rated for 35 Ah by itself. It's used for just about everything other than the inverters and drive motor (lights, computers, displays, and the many motors such as fans, wipers, windows, etc). The HVAC compressor may be powered from the main pack (it's quite high wattage compared to other devices), but that's never been confirmed.
One of the boyz I spoke with today at Al & Ed's told me that they had the volume maxed out :cursing: for about 30 minutes the other day and they saw not one mile loss in range!
Now, hardly a scientific test but somewhat comforting, none the less!

IMO the brushed aluminum? eww. destroys the look. but I know that's total subjective. many others love it. I do not.

However, the sound system and the rear seat entertainment look siiiiiiiiiiiiiiicccccckkkkkkkkkkkk. lol. /jealous. What an incredible job done there....I wish I was out on the West so I could hear it when it's all done. If you ever take a road trip to the east or auto show out here...I will be there to check it all out!!

Been swamped at work & my pimp (Elie) wasn't supplying me with enough photos...
This afternoon, I had a surgery cancel on me so I thought... since I won't be making money this afternoon,
let me go see how I'm spending my money! And I forged through L.A. traffic nearly an hour to,
after about a week of not seeing "A Tesla The Hun!," go take pictures for you!
(but first I had to Google where "Regio Utrecht" was) :tongue:

Thanks, great pics and love seeing how things are coming together, it is quite addictive (a probably not fda approved drug).
Did you find utrecht ;)

Soflauthor NAILS the Center Console Insert! Beautiful piece of ART!

Soflauthor... You guys NAILED it when it comes to the veneer on the CCI! Belongs in MoMA!
Can't wait to drive the car with the very B-I-G sun roof open and the sun glistening off the obeche-gloss!
The leather is supple and also is a PERFECT match to my tan!
Now the 2nd picture posted here is incongruous! Anybody know why?

20130327_151317.jpg

20130327_151353.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Dr. Taras, look forward to meeting you and the Hun in Woodland Hills! Isn't the next SuperCar Sunday event on April 7th (rather than this Sunday, 3/31)? P.S., my dad Jim says hello.
Indeed the next marquee event is the 1st Sunday of each month, booked for nearly the whole year. I'm working with the guy who runs it to do an EV day on the last Sunday of the month (the former marquee day) here in the next few months. Details to follow!

In the mean time, I could not wait until 4/7 for the unveil since I'm taking delivery, g-d willing, of the car this weekend!
Plus, I wanted a little elbow room for the car and the marquee days are, happily, packed with many other cars!
See you there THIS Sunday, 3/31 & say hi to your Dad for me; haven't seen him since coaching soccer on opposite sides of the pitch!

- - - Updated - - -

My guess: All future Model S's will feature brushed aluminum look ;)
Teriyaki88... welcome to the forum! Honored to have your 1st post be on my thread! :redface:
You're right... maybe Elon will announce today, with his big press release, that all subsequent Teslas will be brushed aluminum...
But then I'll have to change MY color to stay one step ahead of the curve! :mad: