Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's cool to see the extreme times, but I almost think the stock, I-have-my-dog-and-a-weeks-worth-of-groceries-in-the-car numbers are more impressive. :)
I’m trying to envision the dogs face and reaction when launching now. Dont think a chihuahua will survive lol. Possibly a go pro in the trunk on slow motion to see if a gallon of milk bursts bc of the force? Thanks for the insight and content!

Shows how amazing the Plaid is. Even a highly modified twin turbo C8 Corvette is not as fast as a stock Plaid!
Yep I can't imagine the money that went in to that C8 build....it's badass! Those wheelie launches looked great and some of the shifts, while clearly very inconsistent, sounded perfect. Having said that, the plaid still beats it and can do it over and over without issue. That C8 has a long way to go with tuning/testing and even then the trans and clutches won't hold that kind of power very long. It will remain inconsistent and not be reliable. This video just makes it more clear why ICE vehicles are the PAST.

Yep I can't imagine the money that went in to that C8 build....it's badass! Those wheelie launches looked great and some of the shifts, while clearly very inconsistent, sounded perfect. Having said that, the plaid still beats it and can do it over and over without issue. That C8 has a long way to go with tuning/testing and even then the trans and clutches won't hold that kind of power very long. It will remain inconsistent and not be reliable. This video just makes it more clear why ICE vehicles are the PAST.
Exactly. As I was watching that video of the C8 repeatedly having issues (albeit it’s still early on with their tune), I couldn’t help but think “wow, it’s almost better for him NOT to share this video, given the business he is in”. 🥴

• Funny
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Another plate idea for you guys. Good luck grabbing it.
EF3CB0DC-5837-4F99-8E7C-6492785A5AA3.jpeg

The one consistent pattern I see is once the car hits 60 mph, it draws less power.
The current to the motor isn't the power to the motor. Current is essentially torque. The current rises quickly to a maxium value when you release the brakes. This max current is limited by wheel traction. The front motor gets less current because the weight has shifted to the rear of the car. Therefore, the front tires have less traction. Just as you release the brakes, the torque and acceleration are max but the power to the motors is low. As the car gains speed at constant torque, the power (torque x rpm) required from the motors increases. This is why the battery current is ramping up as you gain speed. Then , as you say, at around 60 mph, the combined torque and rpm reaches the power limit of the motors. As the car continues to gain speed, the rpms of the motors increase so the torque must decrease to maintain the maxium hp. As torque is current, this is why the current to the motors begins to drop off at this speed. The power to the motors and thus from the battery remains constant from this point on.

Last edited:
The current to the motor isn't the power to the motor. Current is essentially torque. The current rises quickly to a maxium value when you release the brakes. This max current is limited by wheel traction. The front motor gets less current because the weight has shifted to the rear of the car. Therefore, the front tires have less traction. Just as you release the brakes, the torque and acceleration are max but the power to the motors is low. As the car gains speed at constant torque, the power (torque x rpm) required from the motors increases. This is why the battery current is ramping up as you gain speed. Then , as you say, at around 60 mph, the combined torque and rpm reaches the power limit of the motors. As the car continues to gain speed, the rpms of the motors increase so the torque must decrease to maintain the maxium hp. As torque is current, this is why the current to the motors begins to drop off at this speed. The power to the motors and thus from the battery remains constant from this point on.
Thanks for that explaination

Reactions: EndlessPlaid