Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver LCD Display for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's still centrally mounted in today's world of HUDs, augmented reality and virtual cockpits. Still, I can't ever remembering hearing any motoring journals, YouTube "influencers" or Joe Public moaning about it or declaring it unsafe, unlike the M3

The difference with the Mini is that the information on the centre mounted speedo is absolutely minimal and you can take it in with a split second glance. There’s so much more info available on the M3 screen and I’d certainly like some of it in front of me, either on a decent binnacle display or a HUD.

Reactions: JP1611
The Mini was first launched in 1959. It's been produced on and off for the last 61 years. I can't ever remember anyone complaining that the centre-mounted speedo dial was either dangerous or inconvenient.
Oh hello - me!! I really disliked that central analogue dial display and used the tiny LCD display that was about 1cm tall infront of me as I drove! (Sorry to break your clean run!)

The irony is not lost on me that all of a sudden I’m back to central display again but now somehow it’s fine! I think for me it’s the location of the actual info you need - my mini speedometer went to 140mph or something so to look at meaningful info like am I at 20 for this zone, or 30 for this camera? It meant a look very far left and down aaa was u from where drivers field of vision should be (plus my mum could see my speed at all times - and she used to drive incredibly slowly so I’d have a lot of audio feedback! :confused:)

the location tighter to the wheel and higher us much better now

....on a long drive I like to monitor the energy usage graph, but I can’t have the graph and the satnav map open at the same time. So if I want to swop between them I have to stab away at the screen at speed with my left hand - possible on a motorway but dangerous on a bendy road.
No stabbing necessary.

If I want to look at that I use the RH scroll wheel & say "Show Energy Graph".

Then RH scroll wheel & say "show map" brings it back (either that or use left hand to touch the 'music' icon bottom RH & the screen reverts to my default layout )

“Show energy graph” usually works for me. Just wish ‘“Call Home” or “Navigate to Mum’s” did. Those involve much more distracting screen stabbing. Not sure this gizmo would help with those problems. ‘Home’ is a favourite on my phone and ‘Mum’s’ on the car so these should be easy voice commands to get right.

No stabbing necessary.

If I want to look at that I use the RH scroll wheel & say "Show Energy Graph".

Then RH scroll wheel & say "show map" brings it back (either that or use left hand to touch the 'music' icon bottom RH & the screen reverts to my default layout )

Must be my accent but I just can’t get the voice commands to work. “Open the glovebox” is about the only command that works for me.

Moderator comment - thread merged from "Add on display" - I think there is another stray thread too if someone wants to point me in the direction of that too

Someone sent me a link for this, looks good, but I do not know the price as it says it is out of stock.

Has anyone installed one of these, or have any thoughts on it?

Link to the product: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SR262FJ - moderator comment - product currently unavailable - link redirects to a different amazon.co.uk product so cut and paste the link manually if you don't see the correct product

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a pic of my car with the v1 for reference. I don't yet have a photo of the v2 as I just installed it, but it's basically the same layout although I added a matte screen protector to match my main console screen and prevent glare.

IMG_0576.JPG

Surely installing something like this will void your warranty?
No issues for me. I've taken my car to Tesla service and actually all the mechanics stopped what they were doing to check it out! They then performed some warranty service for me that I asked for (replacing rear tail lights as they were fogging up). There is no cutting of wires, etc. It simply attaches to the canbus.