Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Profile not key specific???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think its fair to say that this is a feature that could and should be included in the car based on the discussion in the thread.

On a constructive note: does anyone know if this suggestion has been officially submitted to Tesla's engineers and product designers?

I would bet a lot of money that each key fob already had a unique identifier on it. And implementing an "auto exit" profile of some kind doesn't even require that.

I understand this, especially after the clarification.
Car = seats adjustable as needed
Convenience feature = powered seats that move with a button push
Advanced convenience = car memorizes positions and has a button to recall one (or more if it's really techy) profile
Classic Rich Person Feature = the car pushes the button FOR you

Name callers, my Ignore List thanks you for providing its breakfast today.

I'd like to hear how I'm suppose to get in the car to select my profile when I can't get in under my wife's profile?
Again, if there was a button to select profile on the door or at the seat, like other premium cars, I could just push that and this thread wouldn't exist. I don't mind doing that at all, though it's still very 10 years ago.

I respectfully disagree.

Using the key fob is so last decade, and impractical for my family. We have 3 drivers and 4 vehicles. How would you set that up? 12 key rings - one for each driver/car combination? That's silly. Maybe a ring for each driver that has 4 fobs and house key? That's ungainly huge.

We have 4 rings: each has a key fob for a particular vehicle and a house key. When someone leaves the house, they grab the ring with the key fob for the car they're taking. Easy, simply, lightweight. It's also easy to tell which cars are in the garage and which are out by looking at the key dish by the door.

If you think about it, what's the easiest way for the car to identify the driver? Tesla's don't have interior camera's yet, so the cell phone gets my vote. Most people always have their cell phone with them when they leave the house, and no-one shares cell phones. If two previously paired phones enter the car at about the same time, the car can choose the first one it sees and/or prompt on the touchscreen for who is driving.
Well, there is always this method which worked just fine for our family and even if it's so last century still simply gets the job done. It's also nice if it's a company car that several people use.

mercedes-benz-gla-class-x156_memory_814x443_10-2013.jpg

What it really needs to do -

1). Set the drivers seat to the profile that opened the drivers door.

2). Self the radio presets to my wife's profile if she is nearby/in have car regardless of driver.
LOL!

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to hear how I'm suppose to get in the car to select my profile when I can't get in under my wife's profile?
Again, if there was a button to select profile on the door or at the seat, like other premium cars, I could just push that and this thread wouldn't exist. I don't mind doing that at all, though it's still very 10 years ago.
Totally agree, but so First World/1% problems. My sister didn't even know what the round circles are on the bumpers. I seriously thought all cars had parking sensors by now! And she has a "just a few years ago" Jeep. But, a Jeep. Sigh.

If that's the case, then why can the car be started when the fob is outside the car?

That's the most troubling to me. You could be standing near the car, or even in a restaurant by a window near your car and someone could get in and drive off. Somehow my last car would not start even if I left my keys sitting on the roof of the car. It "knew" the key fob was outside somehow.

And this is how my previous ICE, a 2007 Infiniti, worked. And it was highly annoying, because my wife would usually get to the passenger side first. That would set the driver seat to her setting, meaning I had to readjust before I got in (not being able to contort myself small enough). So... It's wait for her setting change to complete, re-unlock the car with my fob to start my setting, wait for my setting to complete, and finally get in. Highly annoying and I actually really like Tesla's solution.
So, does anyone know if the car is programmed to recognize the fob, or if the fob is programmed to work on a car? If fob's are dumb, and have no ID of their own, you couldn't do the "preset based on this fob".

I was surprised this was missing, but didn't really get to benefit from previous cars having it, so I personally don't care. If the fobs have IDs, this isn't hard to do, non-withstanding all the "what if there are multiple fobs in the same car" - the same could be argued about "what if there are multiple phones in the car", and that seems to be taken care of with a simple priority list.
The issues above would be solved by implementing a system that works like what brkaus says:
What it really needs to do -
1). Set the drivers seat to the profile that opened the drivers door.
This is already what other manufacturers, like Ford, do. On our Fusion Energi, the car doesn't begin searching for a key fob until someone touches a door handle. Once someone grabs either rear door handle or the front passenger door handle, the car searches for a fob to decide if it should unlock, if any fob is found the car will unlock. When someone grabs the driver's door handle, an extra step happens, the car determines which fob is closest to the antenna on the driver's side of the car & adjusts the seat position based on what is programmed for the fob that it finds. If the nearest fob has no memory seat position programmed, the seat will not move.

In the case of the Model S, I'd think that Tesla could implement something similar. Door handles auto present & the car auto unlocks when any fob is in the vicinity, but once someone grabs the driver's door handle, do a quick search to determine which fob is closest to the driver's door & adjust the seat to the profile associated with that fob. This should solve all of the multiple fobs nearby issues, since it would go based on which is closest to the antenna.

I'm sorry, but you don't need to buy a Rolls-Royce to get seat position memory linked to a key fob. It's on $20k Fords.

My PHEV Fusion was $40+k TYVM. ;-)

hybridbear and I have the same vehicle. You do have to get the keyless entry package to get as he describes. I think any of the Ford Keyless entry options come this way so a 2011 Mustang may not, IF he didn't get the high enough trim package. Ford is big on packages so you cannot a la cart things.

Last edited:
I'm just happy to see I'm not the only one who feels a car at this price point should have this feature.

Is there some formal request process to ask Tesla to consider adding this feature to the app, or if possible the keys?

Thanks for the feedback from everyone.

I'm just happy to see I'm not the only one who feels a car at this price point should have this feature.

Is there some formal request process to ask Tesla to consider adding this feature to the app, or if possible the keys?

Thanks for the feedback from everyone.
Well, the good thing is, it may just show up one morning in your already-bought car! :)

From what I've read on TMC, there are various options for submitting your opinions to Tesla, from a very brief "bug report" from within the car, to emailing [email protected] (or... did someone say they don't use that any more and have a continent-specific email ID like NA_something@). Either way, there are plenty of questions as to who actually receives these and whether any action is taken from any of the attempts.

My PHEV Fusion was $40+k TYVM. ;-)

My comment about $20k Fords was not directed at you. :D A standard Ford Fusion in the "SE" trim/package/whatever that comes with Keyless entry and seat memory starts at $23,xxx. I understand you can spend $40k+ on a Fusion, but the point was that there ARE Fords in the $20k price range with this feature.

Last edited:
Would be nice... but I doubt it. I believe there are hardware limitations (number and location of sensors). I would be happy to be proven wrong, of course. :smile:
One sensor anywhere in the vehicle is enough to implement the 90+% of the time where only one key fob is present, and if the behaviour when both fobs is present stayed the same as right now I would still consider it to be an enormous improvement with no drawback.

One sensor anywhere in the vehicle is enough to implement the 90+% of the time where only one key fob is present, and if the behaviour when both fobs is present stayed the same as right now I would still consider it to be an enormous improvement with no drawback.

For me, the biggest concern is the car not knowing if the fob is inside or outside the car. I'm not sure how that could be fixed with the current hardware.