Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Profiles with saved preferences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so I've only had the car 5 days so forgive me if this is a typical 'noobie' question...

In previous cars, I have created separate accounts for both me and the Mrs and assigned them to specific keys. When either of us got in the car using our assigned keys, the seat, wheel and mirrors would change (as expected) but so would general system preferences, radio stations and general vehicle settings (wheel weight, throttle response, safety features etc...). What I've found so far is that when switching between driver profiles on the Tesla Model 3, the only thing that really changes is the seat, wheel and mirrors... all other settings (climate, radio etc...) remain as per the last person to drive the car.

Am I doing something wrong or is that just how it is?

Thanks for the reply and reassurance!

Seems a little bit of a missed opportunity BUT I suppose things are really easy to change. Just seems strange that it knows how I want my seat, mirrors and steering wheel but not what the last radio station I was listening to and how I like the blower positioned...

First world problems, eh!

Upvote 0
Ok so I've only had the car 5 days so forgive me if this is a typical 'noobie' question...

In previous cars, I have created separate accounts for both me and the Mrs and assigned them to specific keys. When either of us got in the car using our assigned keys, the seat, wheel and mirrors would change (as expected) but so would general system preferences, radio stations and general vehicle settings (wheel weight, throttle response, safety features etc...). What I've found so far is that when switching between driver profiles on the Tesla Model 3, the only thing that really changes is the seat, wheel and mirrors... all other settings (climate, radio etc...) remain as per the last person to drive the car.

Am I doing something wrong or is that just how it is?
Okay, so I was/am aware that all other settings change, per the driver profile selected (or auto-selected with the RFID key or phone key). However, I don’t like how climate changes on-the-fly, too. For example, we got in the Model Y after church, and the driver profile is set to Easy Entry until I enter my lock code to drive. At that moment, it switches automatically to my correct driver profile. However, if I had changed the climate to 72 degrees F when Easy Entry was the selected profile, then when my own driver profile comes up, it automatically changes the temperature to what I assume is the last state of climate selected when my driver profile was enabled. I just wish it wouldn’t do that but would instead override that by what climate options I had just selected. This is certainly possible using TESLA’s telematics real-time data because they know that that even though the driver profile is changed, they also know that I never got up out of the driver seat and exited the vehicle. For that matter, I am confident that TESLA knows how much drivers weigh because all seats have weight sensors in them. The only question is can those wright sensors measure any weight (up to a certain MAX weight), or can they only distinguish between weights that are above 10lbs (such as my daughter’s school backpack) or below 10lbs? Moreover, I know for a fact that TESLA AI is using my Model Y’s interior cabin camera to determine when I am holding my phone while driving and when I am not, so TESLA can use the same TESLA AI and my Model Y’s interior cabin camera to distinguish between a backpack on the seat versus a small child or car seat versus an adult when seatbelts are not being utilized when the vehicle is in motion.

Upvote 0
That sounds about right.

Less things are assigned to a driver profile than you might think.
That sounds about dead wrong to me (and not just because you said less instead of fewer).

A couple of months ago, our Tesla profiles were wiped by a corrupted software update (ironically the update that allowed you to save one driver profile). We lost absolutely everything except the odometer and (get this) our high scores in our games.

We had to manually set everything for each new profile including signing into Spotify.

Reactions: THEbuz
Upvote 0
That sounds about dead wrong to me (and not just because you said less instead of fewer).

A couple of months ago, our Tesla profiles were wiped by a corrupted software update (ironically the update that allowed you to save one driver profile). We lost absolutely everything except the odometer and (get this) our high scores in our games.

We had to manually set everything for each new profile including signing into Spotify.
Just realized this morning that the navigation is tied to the driver profile, too! My daughter has her learner’s permit and drives us to school in the mornings. She has her own driver profile. Navigation destination is set to “WORK” with “SCHOOL” as a waypoint. Once we arrive at school, directions to work should continue on. (I do this to manage my ETA.) When my daughter got out of the car, East Entry profile enabled. When I got into the driver’s seat and entered my code, my own drive profile enabled but navigation was empty (no destinations selected).

This seems lame to me that both navigation and climate are tied to driver profiles!

Upvote 0
Other things seem tied to profile as well, which isn't a problem.

I set sentry to be off when parked on the driveway at home and it works fine after I drive home. But when my wife is out and returns home sentry stays on. Perhaps that is a navigation issue, that she doesn't have a home setting, will investigate later.

Similarly she has set the speed limit chime but thankfully that doesn't keep going off when I drive.

Upvote 0
Other things seem tied to profile as well, which isn't a problem.

I set sentry to be off when parked on the driveway at home and it works fine after I drive home. But when my wife is out and returns home sentry stays on. Perhaps that is a navigation issue, that she doesn't have a home setting, will investigate later.

Similarly she has set the speed limit chime but thankfully that doesn't keep going off when I drive.
IMO, “while PARKED” settings, such as Sentry Mode ON/OFF should default to the Primary Driver for HOME location (assuming that all assigned drivers have “HOME” location assigned).

Upvote 0
This seems lame to me that both navigation and climate are tied to driver profiles!
I disagree. Each driver has their own frequent destinations in the list so it doesn't get cluttered.
Same for climate, I'm very happy that the car knows to automatically revert to my preferred 20° right after the wife took it for her toasty 26°C ride with full seat heating during winter...

Last edited:
Reactions: gtae07
Upvote 0
I disagree. Each driver has their own frequent destinations in the list so it doesn't get cluttered.
Same for climate, I'm very happy that the car knows to automatically reverts to my preferred 20° right after the wife took it for her toasty 26°C ride with full seat heating during winter...
Okay—then maybe a setting that if the driver profile is switched inside a 10min window NOT at home, then the climate and navigation remain at the current state. Especially navigation where you are not at home a “mid-drive”. If I have arrived at my waypoint but not yet at my destination and the driver profile was switched at my waypoint within less than 3min, it would seem pretty obvious that I wish to retain my end destination in the navigation settings. At a MIN, give the driver the option to retain the drive or ditch it.

Upvote 0

Don't forget that that post is nearly a year old and predates roaming (cloud) profiles. It was also a comment specific to driver profile rather than car/global profile. At the time, many settings were global to the car and not to the driver. So if you switched between driver profiles, many settings, eg Nav work, stayed the same irrespective of the selected profile.

Since writing, as well as roaming profiles being introduced in 2022.24.x (Jul/Aug time), many previously global profiles have migrated to driver profiles so if you use roaming/cloud profiles will move from one car to another compatible car. One example being the navigation settings for work etc, which moved from global/car profile to driver profile around the time of the cloud profile update. Prior to that, you could only have one navigation work profile which was the same across all driver profiles. That is not the case now.

Upvote 0
List of settings saved in the profile

LIGHTS:
Front Fog
Auto high beam off
Headlights after exit

LOCKS:
apply profile to a key
Unlock on park
Lock confirmation sound
Walk away door lock

DISPLAY
Time format
Energy Display (km or %)
Distance (km or miles)
Temperature

DRIVING
Acceleration (chill/standard)
Stopping mode (creep/roll/hold)

AUTOPILOT:
Cruise Follow Distance 1-7
Autosteer Beta
Navigate on Autopilot (Beta)
Speed Limit Warning (Off/Display/Chime)
Speed Limit (Absolute/Relative)
Forward Collision Warning (Off/Late/Med/Early)
Lane Departure Avoidance (Off/Warning/Assist)
Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance
Blind Spot Collision Warning

NAVIGATION:
navigation sound on/off
Automatic Navigation
Trip Planner Beta
Avoid Ferries
Avoid Tolls

SAFETY AND SECURITY
Dashcam: save clips on honk
Park Assist Chimes
Joe Mode (volume of chimes reduces)

CLIMATE CONTROL
Temperature but not Fan speed
Sync settings yes
Seat heaters yes
Air vent direction yes

AUDIO SETTINGS
No tone settings
No options settings
No volume settings
No station per profile memory

Upvote 0
It would be really nice to have the last radio station being listened to in the profile. Absent that, is there any API exposed that would allow me to set this via automation?
I don’t like that I must dial in a radio station like a telephone number. Where is the scan feature? Why can’t I toggle from AM to FM and slide my way through the various radio stations along the way? I don’t need a physical knob (wheel), but at least a slider bar or something would be nice. Also, when it lists the various radio stations by call sign, it would be nice if it also included the radio frequency for each in the driver’s area. (e.g. 99.5 FM or 100.7 FM), as well as the music genre for each.

Upvote 0
I don’t like that I must dial in a radio station like a telephone number. Where is the scan feature? Why can’t I toggle from AM to FM and slide my way through the various radio stations along the way? I don’t need a physical knob (wheel), but at least a slider bar or something would be nice. Also, when it lists the various radio stations by call sign, it would be nice if it also included the radio frequency for each in the driver’s area. (e.g. 99.5 FM or 100.7 FM), as well as the music genre for each.
You can scan by opening the radio and switching from Favorites to All Stations. Then the left wheel will scan through all stations instead of cycling through favorites.

Upvote 0