Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Seat Bubbling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! Recently I noticed my 6 month old Model Y driver seat headrest has begun to bubble. It is likely from the heat parking in LA and cabin overheat protection only last a short while.

Tesla denied my warranty claim and said it will be $200 to fix. I fought a little and they said they’d pay for half but still seems kinda silly. I don’t use any chemicals in my hair that could cause it.

I read this is a known issue and that Tesla was offering one time replacements but service said nope.

Anyone else have this?

E9A05DF7-D86A-46F4-A943-DBB720DB15DC.jpeg

My head rest is fine, but I am seeing heat related bubbling on my steering wheel and was given a 1k price to replace it due to it not being covered under warranty. Currently fighting them on this and my third row having seat belt stains since it was delivered.

Good luck, I'm looking into sun shades to try to prevent heat induced damage else where.

Attachments

• PXL_20220621_124508943.jpg
    PXL_20220621_124508943.jpg
    538.3 KB · Views: 307
TMYB-C1, for the steering wheel, have you considered a small puncture or slit with glue injected so it would lay flat on the wheel (if you are unable to get Tesla to take care of it)?

This is all making me wonder if I should rig some sort of headrest cover.

It's very possible that the cause is chemical (hand sanitizer, lotion for the wheel issues, and hair products for the headrest issues) and not heat.

I haven't washed my hands since 2020 ;) Really tho it is where I grip the wheel the most, but is also at the top so heat and my own hands could be at fault... Given other quality issues with the interior, 3rd row seat belt stains since pickup, I want to blame Tesla.

TMYB-C1, for the steering wheel, have you considered a small puncture or slit with glue injected so it would lay flat on the wheel (if you are unable to get Tesla to take care of it)?

This is all making me wonder if I should rig some sort of headrest cover.

NO, NEVER - I'd make a non issue into a complete mess.

It's very possible that the cause is chemical (hand sanitizer, lotion for the wheel issues, and hair products for the headrest issues) and not heat.
I don’t use any hair products other than natural shampoo and conditioning so if that is enough to cause this, I think it should be considered a defect

Actually with the neck pillow I have, my head barely touches the head rest. It must be heat

Use the forum search feature and don't just search for model Y because it happens to the 3 and Y.

I see posts about headrests, seats, steering wheels, door trims. They are all related.

It has nothing to do with cabin overheat protection. That is a safety feature for kids. That's why it turns off after 12hrs.

Last edited:
They covered mine under warranty, at the same time it also says goodwill. My hypothesis is a chemical in Head & Shoulders shampoo, zinc pyrithione or otherwise, as it happened so rapidly and others have mentioned similar.

IMG_20220427_191818.jpg

Screenshot_1.png

The bubbling is super common?

Ok... Its not super common but definitely abnormally common in the forums. Just go to the top of the screen and search the word bubbling. Scroll through the search results you will see it coming up regularly. Sometimes it also flakes. Tesla service even told me I should expect it to happen again and should cover it with something.

Ok... Its not super common but definitely abnormally common in the forums. Just go to the top of the screen and search the word bubbling. Scroll through the search results you will see it coming up regularly. Sometimes it also flakes. Tesla service even told me I should expect it to happen again and should cover it with something.
It drives me wild how we are expected to be ok with interior upholstery issues on such an expensive car.

Noticed bubble on my 7 month old Model Y headrest yesterday when my daughter pointed it out. MY was parked in the airport parking lot for the weekend and it was pretty hot where I live. Appointment is set to replace headrest on 7/22/22 hopefully mobile technicians will waive the fees.
20220711_165526.jpg

There's no way this is the result of any hair products. How often do you drive with your head actually on the head 'rest'? Misnomer as it's actually a head 'restraint'. There is some sort of defect in the material here and they should cover it. Doesn't mean they will, just that they should...