Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driverless Car Wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RNHurt

2020 MY, White, Black
Jul 29, 2020
Louisville, KY
My mother is a big car wash person and knows the people at the local wash by name. We used to take my Honda Odyssey through and they did an excellent job. Lots of hand drying, vacuuming, washing the floor mats, etc. The only issue is that you don't ride in the car. In fact, you drive up and they get in the car and take over.

Now, I understand that you should always hand wash your Tesla with 15 clean, well worn diapers and never ever let anything physical touch your paint. :rolleyes: But in the real world we have winter and road salt and below freezing temps that make it super hard to wash your car in your driveway.

Anyway, yesterday my Mom said that my MY was dirty and we should take it to the car wash and I had to tell her that I don't know how to make that happen. :( I mean, I know how do most things in the MY but I don't know how to run it through a driverless car wash, or even how to let a "stranger" drive the car a short distance (or even if I want to do that).

I think I would like a "Car Wash" button that put the car in tow mode, folded the mirrors, turned off the automatic windshield wipers, locked the glove box, and set the top speed to 5 MPH (or something). Is that unreasonable? How would you put your car through a driverless car wash?

Now, I understand that you should always hand wash your Tesla with 15 clean, well worn diapers and never ever let anything physical touch your paint. :rolleyes:

You forgot that in addition to those 15 diapers, you should have at least 6 buckets for the "6 bucket method", while hand washing your car with a white suit and white gloves on, so that you can gently slide along the car to check for dirt :D:D:D.

In any case, I dont have an answer for you. I havent taken my model 3 to any car washes.. not because I enjoy that fictitious 6 bucket method I was describing, but because there isnt an easy way to have people at a car wash (even hand washing) put the car through one.

I have had my model 3 since late 2018 and people have been asking for such a mode / button (car wash mode). Seems like it would be something easy for them to implement, but they havent yet. Here is to hoping.

You need to put the car in N (neutral) by putting your foot on the brake pedal
and making a small push on the gear selector to go from P to N.

But you need to stay inside the car sitting on the driver seat.
The car will goes back to P if you open the door and exit the car.

You can select the Tow mode from the display under the Service menu, so you can exit the car,
but after 20 minutes the car will automatically goes back to P and set the parking brake,
something to avoid as this will block and stop the car wash line.

e6998946-b46e-4e02-af89-b20e6925030d-jpeg.10238

I agree we live in the real world. I signed up for an unlimited car wash plan. Yes you will still get fine swirls in the paint, they do use harsh chemicals, and make sure any add on body parts are secured or they will fall off. All these things I can live with, my only grip is with the 21" Performance wheels they always get scraped when they guide you in the track. The first time I was pissed off at them and demanded to speak with the manager. They absolve themselves of any liability- so they do not pay to fix the wheel. Now after 2 or 3 additional scrapes it really doesn't bother me as much. I guess its like getting your first dent in the parking lot- your car is not new anymore.

My mother is a big car wash person and knows the people at the local wash by name. We used to take my Honda Odyssey through and they did an excellent job. Lots of hand drying, vacuuming, washing the floor mats, etc. The only issue is that you don't ride in the car. In fact, you drive up and they get in the car and take over.

Now, I understand that you should always hand wash your Tesla with 15 clean, well worn diapers and never ever let anything physical touch your paint. :rolleyes: But in the real world we have winter and road salt and below freezing temps that make it super hard to wash your car in your driveway.

Anyway, yesterday my Mom said that my MY was dirty and we should take it to the car wash and I had to tell her that I don't know how to make that happen. :( I mean, I know how do most things in the MY but I don't know how to run it through a driverless car wash, or even how to let a "stranger" drive the car a short distance (or even if I want to do that).

I think I would like a "Car Wash" button that put the car in tow mode, folded the mirrors, turned off the automatic windshield wipers, locked the glove box, and set the top speed to 5 MPH (or something). Is that unreasonable? How would you put your car through a driverless car wash?
Yes, a Car Wash mode would be nice, or hell just allow to roll in Neutral without applying the parking brake upon exit (like an ICE).

Most car wash places in NY are as you described. I always turn off auto wipers before the wash. The mirrors aren't an issue as a person is inside the car wash to hand wash, nor do I have anything of value in the car to lock. I found one place that is very good and the same guy loads the car onto the track each time, and he KNOWS how to do Tow Mode. I don't trust random places to do it right.

I do know of one local place that will let Tesla owners stay in the car instead of dealing with the annoyance. In that case, just shift to N (lightly push up [1/2 way] and it will change). Make sure to not move around too much as if you lift off your seat, and the car thinks you want to leave, it will apply the parking brake. You will then hop the roller and cause the car wash to need to stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: RNHurt and Watts_Up
Underbody spray is key for salt.

But in the real world we have winter and road salt and below freezing temps that make it super hard to wash your car in your driveway.

I'd stay in my car. I doubt its the first Tesla that went through this car wash.

Depending on where you live, you might feel more comfortable about letting them drive the Tesla in a few months. Around here, I'm sure that every car wash has seen lots of Teslas, just because there are so many of them on the roads. I'm still hand-washing mine, partly because of COVID, but eventually I can see myself taking it to the local "touchless" wash.

I'm almost certain that they won't let anyone stay in their own car as it goes through the wash, for liability reasons. And I guess you could ask the manager if the staff is familiar with the Tesla controls, but that can be hard to do without coming across as a douche. Same goes for bringing instructions.

Reactions: RNHurt
Lots of issues running your car through a car wash, will search for those treads, lots of error codes to paint damage and wheel rash due to the rails it moves on. If you can find a car wash Bay that doesn’t use Recycled dirty water and wash it yourself to avoid a trip to the service center.

power washer to rinse off the car, foam gun with TriNova car shampoo & conditioner and Chemicals Guys waffle towels and she looks good as new:

10823455-7700-40DF-AF45-CE4AB8EFEA72.jpeg

B78E6F4E-94E9-40FA-9118-C4FE66B89B69.jpeg

892C8B05-1BFB-40AE-A0C1-BF6DEC6989BB.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
You forgot that in addition to those 15 diapers, you should have at least 6 buckets for the "6 bucket method", while hand washing your car with a white suit and white gloves on, so that you can gently slide along the car to check for dirt :D:D:D.

You forgot the 12 grit guards newb! :D

Seriously, though, I keep hearing about plans for a car wash mode, but AFAIK it doesn't exist yet. It'd be nice to have one button to do it all.