Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers and passenger door not opening fully

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently picked up a new MXP and immediately noticed on day of delivery that both the driver's side and passenger side door open cracks open when pushing the door handle. Now I'm being told by the service center this is normal with all new model X since there is no USS and that eventually there will be a software update that will allow the doors to fully open again. I just wanted to check here whether this is really true?? It is incredibly annoying getting in and out of the car having the door barely crack open and waiting until the auto mechanism disengages before being able to swing the door fully open.

Reactions: rpo and RNHurt
Everything starts from scratch on every iteration of hardware update.

I imagine in the future your FWD will only crack open to allow a skinny person to pass through when they introduce a new HW5, until a software update fixes it (after few months). Welcome to Tesla.

It comes up fairly regularly, but let's repeat it again here. Anything a person at the service center tells you is strictly a guess. Tesla doesn't tell them anything. They only know exactly what they need to know. This is a problem with top-down management like Tesla has. One might say dictatorial rule. Still love the company, but I am getting tired.

Reactions: geordi
I have a 2023 X where the front doors almost always only open a few inches as well. But every once in a while, the driver's door opens fully and at about double the regular speed like it is possessed. It has happened twice when I parked next to my garage where I keep the trash cans a couple of feet from the side of the car...and it opened at high speed INTO the corner of my trash can.

I am so used to hitting the door button, waiting for the door to open a couple of inches, then waiting for the motor to disengage so I can push/pull it open the rest of the way that I don't keep my hand on the door because, well, I should not need to if the doors operated correctly. Once I realized it was opening all the way, I could not react quickly enough to grab it. The 2nd time it happened, the trash can was empty, and it actually tipped the can up against the garage wall. I think my X knows it is itself garbage and just wanted to be with like friends. 😂

We just took possession of our Ultra Red MX yesterday and it's doing the same thing. Our 2018 2.5 MX has always worked with both doors opening all the way for easy ingress/egress. Has anyone actually spoken to Tesla Support about this problem? This cannot be a design feature...it needs to be fixed, it's driving me nuts.