Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driveway Charging Options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally found it - this is what came to mind when I read your post.

Specifically the box with the 14-50 in it.

Locked NEMA 14-50 Outdoors?

Not knowing you full situation, I’m still thinking your overthinking this (but never know your neighbors,etc). If the electric rate is $0.12kWh, your risking $1.15/hr.

How likely is it that someone would park there and know there was a charger.

Last edited:
If the electric rate is $0.12kWh, your risking $1.15/hr.

How likely is it that someone would park there and know there was a charger.

Thanks! I am not looking to lock the NEMA14-50 since it would be inside the gate, just the car handle that would be accessible. Right now every knows that I have a charger because the car handle is sitting on the driveway outside of the gate. Once I do the trap door on the gate, it would not be so obvious.

I think my rate PGE during the day is $.30/kW or there about. Also considering getting a separate metered account with EV rates.

I think the fear of another Tesla owner parking in your driveway and plugging into your charger and stealing a few dollars worth of electricity is misplaced.

Realistically no one is going to risk doing that. The gain for them is so small, the crime is so blatant (any one could note a license plate number after all), and they'd be subjecting themselves to legal risk. And on your side the risk is similarly small. Idk what you pay per kWh, but if it's $0.15/kWh, a 14-50 outlet putting out 40A / 9.6kW would cost you no more than $1.44/hr.

I'd be more concerned about theft or vandalism of the charger. A simple padlock going around the cable and a fence post could mitigate the theft concern.

I think my rate PGE during the day is $.30/kW or there about. Also considering getting a separate metered account with EV rates.

OUCH!!! Double OUCH!!!!

Thanks! I am not looking to lock the NEMA14-50 since it would be inside the gate, just the car handle that would be accessible.

The same would apply to locking the handle. If you had a box with a slot cut in it for the cord. Then you just lock the charging handle end into the box. Even something like this https://www.amazon.com/CO-Z-Cabinet...-20-spons&keywords=outdoor+key+lock+box&psc=1 could be repurposed with a slot cut. Of course, need a place to mount it, etc.

BTW, the convince factor isn't that bad if you do switch it. You can plug it in with the power off, and hit the switch/breaker on the way in the house (of course, again, depending on actual layout).

I think the fear of another Tesla owner parking in your driveway and plugging into your charger and stealing a few dollars worth of electricity is misplaced.

This is a good point. If you use the HPWC or included EVSE and the Tesla plug, your potential "thief ring" is limited to Tesla cars. Not those other lowbrow criminal cars :)

Reactions: davedavedave