Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving on Sunshine

Do you have solar to power your car?

• Yes

Votes: 251 63.4%
  • No

Votes: 50 12.6%
  • No, but hope to soon

Votes: 95 24.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to revive the thread to see if Tesla's new solar roof products may change the poll. They look quite nice but not sure how they wire in. For us we have the traditional panels and over the last 2 months have produced 103% of our needs with solar. We have two plug-in cars and we heat via electric heat pump. So it is now possible to live close to net 0 energy use.
Driving_to_Net_0.JPG

We are now working on a book "Driving to Net 0 - Stories of Hope for a Carbon Free Future". Message me if you have a story you want to tell.

Over 300 people have voted and the percentage with solar has hung around the 60% mark. If this holds for the broader population it underscores Musk's strategy of pairing Tesla with solar city.

Not to be a rainy day or nothing, but of the 300 that have voted, what's the % of Roadster owners in this crowd? :)

I see a lot of pictures of Roadsters in frame with the solar panels that people are posting.

Not to be a rainy day or nothing, but of the 300 that have voted, what's the % of Roadster owners in this crowd? :)

I see a lot of pictures of Roadsters in frame with the solar panels that people are posting.
Sorry not sure I have any way to tease that out. I think the poll started just as the Model S was rolling out so most of the early ones were Roadster owners. I do know know 3 Model S owners with solar in our area and I am the lone Roadster solar. But we in NE Tennessee are a very small sub sample.

Here is a picture of my array and Model S with a more classic winter background than the one I posted upthread. There is another Model S in my neighborhood that also has ground mounted solar panels for power.

30942440833_a9efd3a815_c.jpg

32671992755_c1c2dcb58b_c.jpg

^ Part of my long driveway before shoveling in February. The tracks are from a mule deer.

31859760643_6deb69be61_c.jpg

^ The panels in early morning just before I pulled the snow off of them.

Sorry not sure I have any way to tease that out. I think the poll started just as the Model S was rolling out so most of the early ones were Roadster owners. I do know know 3 Model S owners with solar in our area and I am the lone Roadster solar. But we in NE Tennessee are a very small sub sample.

I think I asked my question badly. Of the 160 or so responders that said they have a Tesla and panels, how many of them have Roadsters. I think only based on who's posting pictures, we quickly get to 2 or 3.

So mostly being silly, but partly a bit serious - the responders to the poll are pretty far from a random sample.

I think I asked my question badly. Of the 160 or so responders that said they have a Tesla and panels, how many of them have Roadsters. I think only based on who's posting pictures, we quickly get to 2 or 3.

So mostly being silly, but partly a bit serious - the responders to the poll are pretty far from a random sample.
The sampling bias was discussed at length up-thread. Are you suggesting Roadster owners might influence the results more than Model S/X owners? Or that we are more likely, or less likely to respond to the poll?

That Roadster owners represent way too many responses out of 160 positives, even if we're only 3 or 4 of us, to make good material for generalization to a broad population.

Mostly - this is way less serious than statistics, and an observation that this is another thread to go to, if you want to see pictures of Roadsters :)

I think my frequent posting (Roadster) may have skewed things a bit. I went back and tried to classify the unique posters:
4 - Roadsters
28 - Model S
5 - Other, one of which was a Model X.

So I think we have plenty of other participation at least judging from pictures or signature lines.

I think my frequent posting (Roadster) may have skewed things a bit. I went back and tried to classify the unique posters:
4 - Roadsters
28 - Model S
5 - Other, one of which was a Model X.

So I think we have plenty of other participation at least judging from pictures or signature lines.

To the extent that it will help you to collect data, we have two Model S and 12 kW of solar on the roof.

Reactions: dhrivnak
We have soar panels and netmetering; therefore, I could not answer the quiz honestly. Panels were installed in August 2013. We took delivery of our X 31mar17.

We are considering a Tesla roof or panels at our lake house. While it is in a forested area, the southern lot next to us is almost treeless. The second lot over causes some shade:-( I am considering a traditional array along our norther boundary to suck up the most from the sun.

My goal is 100% of my footprint electrical, 97% more likely within the next 3 to 5 years. My little footprint is better than no footprint at all.

Reactions: dhrivnak
We have soar panels and netmetering; therefore, I could not answer the quiz honestly. Panels were installed in August 2013. We took delivery of our X 31mar17.

We are considering a Tesla roof or panels at our lake house. While it is in a forested area, the southern lot next to us is almost treeless. The second lot over causes some shade:-( I am considering a traditional array along our norther boundary to suck up the most from the sun.

My goal is 100% of my footprint electrical, 97% more likely within the next 3 to 5 years. My little footprint is better than no footprint at all.
I agree if you are 80% or more Solar I would think you could say you were solar powered.