Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DRL: Now you have it, now you don't...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can I join this club? :'(

Did anyone get this resolved?

IMG_20160715_180028.jpg

Can I join this club? :'(

Did anyone get this resolved?

View attachment 185570

pixel4, that red looks amazing. Sorry to hear your DRL is also out.

I went to the Dublin Store the other day and their floor demo Model S also had its passenger-side DRL out, just like yours.

I asked the salesperson if they've been seeing this a lot and he said yes. He said they need to replace the headlight unit.

This seems to be fairly common and suggests poor QC on the headlight supplier. Somebody screwed up.

• Informative
Reactions: pixel4
Same problem here, boys. Seattle service center said this is a well known issue. They ordered the part and I have an appointment to have it replaced in a few weeks. Hoping to make videos of a few more of the annoying rattles I've discovered so they can address those too.

Same problem here, boys. Seattle service center said this is a well known issue. They ordered the part and I have an appointment to have it replaced in a few weeks. Hoping to make videos of a few more of the annoying rattles I've discovered so they can address those too.

Hopefully the supplier actually fixed the problem and the replacement units are much more robust. Wonder if they'll proactively replace both for those of us who have one side failed.

FYI: I got my lamp replaced at Fremont service center. They had the car for 24 hours. The service guy didn't know it was a trend - seems fishy. Happy to have my DRLs back to 100%.
Eh, you can't really trust these kinds of comments from the service folks in any industry. I've known technicians that would spend all day seeing the same issue "for the first time." It's a way to downplay the ubiquity of an issue. Say they tell you they're replacing several of these a day, and you come mention that on here. Headline tomorrow is "Tesla replacing thousands of defective headlights."

Reactions: jkk_
FYI: I got my lamp replaced at Fremont service center. They had the car for 24 hours. The service guy didn't know it was a trend - seems fishy. Happy to have my DRLs back to 100%.

Finally had my headlamp assembly replaced too.

Originally had an appt at Palo Alto SvC but when I brought it in they said they'd have to keep the car for at least 7 days and I said forget it. Rescheduled at Dublin SvC and they got it done same day. Palo Alto seems totally underwater and the service advisors seem harried and stressed out. They were much more relaxed at Dublin.

Awesome experience overall, really pleased to put both gas stations and stealerships in the rear view. Little nervous about about Model 3 onslaught in 2018 though...

The DRL LEDs and not individually addressable, so if you have a segment out or dim, then it's most definitely a hardware failure, not software. The original Model S headlights were made by Visteon for Tesla. I think now they have moved this in-house (no hard proof yet). This might explain why the original generations were more reliable having been produced by a supplier with a lot of experience. LEDs can be tricky to get right!