Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop 40k on a Tesla or invest 40k in Tesla stock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you believe it the mission of the company and doing your part = buy car

Are you looking to increase your wealth over time and like roller coaster rides = buy stock

With a 40k budget I would buy the base M3 and take the other few thousand and buy a few shares.

Reactions: neroden
Do you believe it the mission of the company and doing your part = buy car

Are you looking to increase your wealth over time and like roller coaster rides = buy stock

With a 40k budget I would buy the base M3 and take the other few thousand and buy a few shares.
Better yet, buy a used MS that has already taken the massive depreciation hit & use the leftover to buy stock. That's the best case scenario combination of both options if you're really thinking of minimizing your exposure to depreciation which is a pillar of financial success long-term.

Why not both?
Car loan to get a Tesla, buy stock to pay it off.
(better plan today than a few months ago)
Financing a car in the name of financial independence is a poor idea. Financing a new car (especially one with the entry-point of a Tesla) in the name of financial independence is a stupid idea.

If you have to finance a car you should not be playing the stock market. The car will lose lots of value which is a net loss to you that will be realized when you trade in or sell the car. Stock doesn't always go up (evidenced by the recent plummet of TSLA) and many are predicting a global recession soon. Losing your ass on a new luxury car AND losing money on stock would be a very poor plan of attack for attaining financial independence anytime soon.

Financing a car in the name of financial independence is a poor idea. Financing a new car (especially one with the entry-point of a Tesla) in the name of financial independence is a stupid idea.

If you have to finance a car you should not be playing the stock market. The car will lose lots of value which is a net loss to you that will be realized when you trade in or sell the car. Stock doesn't always go up (evidenced by the recent plummet of TSLA) and many are predicting a global recession soon. Losing your ass on a new luxury car AND losing money on stock would be a very poor plan of attack for attaining financial independence anytime soon.

The initial question/ option choice presupposed the existence of sufficient free cash to buy a Tesla, thus the financial independence concern was not in play (nor was I speaking from that POV). Buying a car with 0 down 0% interest and putting the available cash into a return bearing product is better than paying cash for the vehicle. Depending on the loan terms and fiscal vehicle, the better long term option changes (as I alluded to).

Neither is also an option.

You must be a brave man.

Unbenannt2.JPG

The initial question/ option choice presupposed the existence of sufficient free cash to buy a Tesla, thus the financial independence concern was not in play (nor was I speaking from that POV). Buying a car with 0 down 0% interest and putting the available cash into a return bearing product is better than paying cash for the vehicle. Depending on the loan terms and fiscal vehicle, the better long term option changes (as I alluded to).

Neither is also an option.

Where can one get such a loan at this time, for a Tesla vehicle, no less?

Buy and hold you will be handsomely rewarded especially at current price. All those noises will eventually go away when facts emerge.

Question is: when will stockholders be rewarded? 3 years, 5 years, 10 years? Painful to see TSLA at $211 now. I bought in at much higher prices, but still lower than the highest point. I'm not gonna sell at a loss, still holding out hope that TSLA will recover.

Been drinking the kool-aid for a while now by owning the car and stock. Afraid the party might be ending...for the following reasons

1. 2 weeks to fix a scratch at the SC...Tesla paid 2 weeks of rental car...their service centers are bleeding like crazy still, not efficient cant get parts. Musk needs to get out of the way and hire a good ops guy, and make a culture that people are not constantly fired or leaving.

2. Have you seen the Benz SUV..it debuted this week on carwow,
Yeah I know it doesnt have the range, but it is beautiful. I think from design language, Tesla has got it wrong, people don't want minimilast designs like the 3. They want an interior like a Benz or Audi, with high grade finishes, contrasting materials, and plush non-minimalist interiors.
3. I am not seeing robo-taxis happening..at least not with the recent auto-pilot deaths and crashes. Yes these are probably less than human fatalities driving. The optics and the bar for computers driving is much higher than humans. The public is willing to forgive humans but not computers just yet.

4. Starting to loose trust in Elon ( there I said it, don't mean to sound blasphamous), smart guy, innovator, idea man. But cant run operations..and that is the Achilles heel. Competitors are just copying Teslsa, and executing potentially better. Take a look at the Benz, they have 100+ years of building cars. My VW has better fit an finish than the $100k Tesla

Any ways just my .02, I hope I am completely wrong and Tesla has a long and prosperous journey.

• Disagree
Reactions: SO16