Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm excited to have another option to consider for the open space. I'll bet the basic dividers Tesla is showing now are just the beginning and that there will be many options to further customize the space available in the future, for example several optional accessories that could fit into that basic modular design ie: cup holders that slide into whatever particular section you like or a cel phone holder or sunglasses holder etc.

Also, you have to consider that these EVs may last a lot longer than normal "ICE" vehicles. The longest I've ever kept an ICE vehicle is 7 years. Usually after 3 or 4 years and right after warranty expires (usually around 60000 miles), things are breaking down here and there. Transmission failures, cylinder misfires, muffler deteriorates, various engine part failures, etc.

I did have one car like that, a VW TDI--a really awful car. But the 1972 Land-Rover worked fine for the 20 years I drove it--mostly as a daily driver, the 2001 and 2004 Prius are still running like new after 100,000 and 145,000 miles respectively. The 1969 DS-21 worked fine for 120,000 miles when I sold it (In retrospect that was a dumb move).

I bet they're reading this thread and high-fiving each other right now. I see you George. I see you.

Indeed! And, I'm sure they are now trying to get a feel for what folks are willing to pay for this rather good-looking and functional thing.

So, time to lowball, everyone!! :) How does $249.95 sound?! It can be marketed as "cheaper than the Parcel Shelf"! ;)

I really like the look of the Tesla Drop-In Center Console. I love that the Tesla design appears to have more usable storage space and the customizable dividers will be a better fit than some of the other proposed Center Console designs. I look forward to hearing the price so that I might consider if it's something I would order for my soon to arrive Model S.

Am I the only one that finds tesla selling this aftermarket unacceptable? This is something that should have been included from the beginning. What, they design an open space knowing that most owners will not like it, and then charge them for some thing that will fit in the space?? The same thing is going to happen for the armrest for the rear seat. And that is something standard in almost 100% of cars. Tesla is really starting to nickel and dime everything that they forgot.

I like the open space, and I have no need of a rear armrest or additional cup holders of any kind. I'm more than happy that you're not saving money at my expense and I suspect a lot of other owners are too. (unsubstantiated generalizations are fun)

I like the open space, and I have no need of a rear armrest or additional cup holders of any kind. I'm more than happy that you're not saving money at my expense and I suspect a lot of other owners are too. (unsubstantiated generalizations are fun)

The point with the rear armrest, is what car do you know of that does not have a built in rear armrest? Not many. And it is part of the seat,so if you do not like it, you don't even know it is there. Now, if we want one we will only have the option of a pullout armrest. Very cheap for a car of this level.
What next? A charge for the sun visors?? $30 for 3G?( oh wait, they've already hinted at that.) wasnt the cargo net $50 at first? and then lowered to $20? and didnt they mention after the get amped tours that the center console and rear armrest were being looked and would not be charged for customers who wanted them?
I would like a different cup holder in front, because that is where my elbow goes if I am driving. And with a drink in the holder, no luck. Without a drink in, the armrest is in a perfect location.
As someone noted above, I think the design of the tesla console is very good. Customization of the areas is very well thought out.
Believe me, I absolutely love my car, but the overly minimalistic approach to the interiors has me scratching my head sometimes.

- - - Updated - - -

As a engineer, a lot of times we think of "cool things" way after the original product has been delivered. We're "good", but not "perfect". New ideas are always popping up here and there (I even dream in software code sometimes). Rather than waiting until "next years model" to implement/retrofit the vehicles, Tesla provides these as aftermarket modifications so the original owners have a chance to upgrade if they choose to do so. Yes, it can be a bit pricey if you get them all, but at least you have been given that option.

They way I consider Tesla's business model is a bit more towards a "base" with "pluggable modules". Look at all the "official" aftermarket mods for the Roadster on the Tesla store. Do you know of any other auto manufacturer that continues to refine vehicles after they have been delivered? I don't. With all the other ones I've dealt with, once they have your money they do not care about you any more. You actually really have to go to a third party if you want something aftermarket. Why not capture that business too? IMO, just add this to the list of awesome things that Tesla does that sets them apart from everyone else. They do listen and they do care about their customers, and yes, they do need to make money too. That's why they are expensive. If they weren't, it wouldn't be a profitable business for them. There always needs to be a business justification - no matter what that is (customer satisfaction, stickiness, margins...)...in the end in one way or another it always leads to one thing - profit. If its not for profit, than it's a non-profit organization doing charity work. :) And last I checked, Tesla isn't doing charity work.

Also, you have to consider that these EVs may last a lot longer than normal "ICE" vehicles. The longest I've ever kept an ICE vehicle is 7 years. Usually after 3 or 4 years and right after warranty expires (usually around 60000 miles), things are breaking down here and there. Transmission failures, cylinder misfires, muffler deteriorates, various engine part failures, etc. Oh thats right, I forgot, Tesla doesn't have any of those parts. In theory, a Tesla vehicle may last a *VERY* long time, perhaps 2x-3x longer than ICE vehicles. ICE vehicles are built *intentionally* with parts whose quality pretty much is only guaranteed up to the warranty of the vehicle. Once that is over, these parts fail. That is expected. And that is exactly what that ICE manufacturer wants. After enough of them fail and you're spending too much time and money fixing things over and over, people get frustrated and then its time to buy a new car. It's pathetic, but it is a valid business model and works for ICE vehicles. It would actually hurt their business if they build higher quality and longer lasting vehicles. They want you have to buy another car after every several years of ownership. Oh but wait, since nothing is failing on a Tesla because it doesn't have any of these parts, wheres the motivation to buy another Tesla? There isn't really any. You current Tesla is awesome enough that it's hard to justify spending another $70k on a car since nothing is wrong with your existing one. Because the quality of Tesla is so high, you might now only buy a new Tesla once every 10-15 years instead of once every 4-7 years. So how does Tesla keep your business and make profit when you don't need to buy another one as often as an ICE vehicle?. How? Easy. "Official aftermarket mods".

Thank you. Very well thought out response. I completely understand. And understand the aftermarket mods market.

The point with the rear armrest, is what car do you know of that does not have a built in rear armrest? Not many. And it is part of the seat,so if you do not like it, you don't even know it is there. Now, if we want one we will only have the option of a pullout armrest. Very cheap for a car of this level.
What next? A charge for the sun visors?? $30 for 3G?( oh wait, they've already hinted at that.) wasnt the cargo net $50 at first? and then lowered to $20? and didnt they mention after the get amped tours that the center console and rear armrest were being looked and would not be charged for customers who wanted them?
I would like a different cup holder in front, because that is where my elbow goes if I am driving. And with a drink in the holder, no luck. Without a drink in, the armrest is in a perfect location.
As someone noted above, I think the design of the tesla console is very good. Customization of the areas is very well thought out.
Believe me, I absolutely love my car, but the overly minimalistic approach to the interiors has me scratching my head sometimes.

It doesn't matter what other cars have or if your armchair analysis of the cost of a feature comes up as "it's cheap". Did you research the car before you purchased? If you did then you went in with open eyes and you got what you paid for and what was promised. I knew there was not much storage in the car. I knew there would be a cost to the 3G some months down the line. I knew they were looking at designing center consoles for aftermarket. (and heard nothing about it being free). I also knew my door handles might have issues (they haven't). I knew my b-pillar bolsters might wear. (they are). I knew all of these things and made my decisions accordingly. I don't expect Tesla to provide me with free aftermarket upgrades for "issues" that I was well aware of before my purchase. I made sure I would be happy with what I was getting before I purchased it, which included accepting any perceived shortcomings with an understanding that they may never be addressed, and that if they were it would not be free. I'll love it if they are, but I'm not going to hold it against Tesla otherwise.

I really like the look of the Tesla center console, and the modular functionality is great, too. But I really love having that empty space to put my bag. The cubby and glove compartment provide just enough hidden storage. I just wish the open console had a more finished look like the mock-ups that were posted months ago. The carpet just doesn't cut it, and I would actually pay to have it replaced with trim matching the rest of the dash.
You can remove the carpet and you will find what you may be looking for. The space under the carpet does seem to be nicely finished.

Yeah I remember when that space was meant to match the interior and I think it had rubber grips or something. But makes sense to keep it carpet if they are making drop in units anyway. I'm fine with teslas approach here. I just don't like the pricing so far. The mats were a lot for the quality and I can't even see the logos. The parcel shelf is too much and the net is a net. I'll buy this stuff anyway, but wish it was more reasonable.

If you think about it... it is the Apple approach...

Here's your IPad ...
OH, you need a case for that $40
Oh, you need power while driving? $30
Oh, you need .....

Just wait for the Tesla App market to open....

And yet everyone wants something different out of a case, not everyone needs power while driving or may want different features there, too. Etc. I don't want Apple's iPad case. I use an FM broadcaster that happens to include charging, but it's not why I bought it. Etc. One-size-fits-all solutions are usually compromises that satisfy few. That's why every product on earth has after-market stuff-cars, computers, phones, other gadgets, houses, etc. This is not Apple or Tesla--it's the world. Not everything can (or, arguably, should) be included. IMHO, anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed! And, I'm sure they are now trying to get a feel for what folks are willing to pay for this rather good-looking and functional thing.

So, time to lowball, everyone!! :) How does $249.95 sound?! It can be marketed as "cheaper than the Parcel Shelf"! ;)

ROFLMAO! Do I hear $249.94?

- - - Updated - - -

Me three.

- - - Updated - - -

The point with the rear armrest, is what car do you know of that does not have a built in rear armrest? Not many. And it is part of the seat,so if you do not like it, you don't even know it is there.

I had to go look at my other half's SUV because I couldn't remember if there was one. I've never used it when in the back seat and don't recall anyone else using it, either. (shrug)

Everyone wants something different. I never pull the armrest forward; I'm short and it's too high up for me. ;-) Again (shrug). . . .

I'm not saying I don't understand people who wish this or that were included, or that Tesla had some of these options available sooner, or whatever. I get that, but just intellectually; emotionally, I think, "I knew what I was buying, I expected to like it, and I wound up loving it." The open area in the front seat looked weird/unfinished; now I just find it incredibly convenient and useful as is. Crazy, I know! ;-)

It doesn't matter what other cars have or if your armchair analysis of the cost of a feature comes up as "it's cheap". Did you research the car before you purchased? If you did then you went in with open eyes and you got what you paid for and what was promised. I knew there was not much storage in the car. I knew there would be a cost to the 3G some months down the line. I knew they were looking at designing center consoles for aftermarket. (and heard nothing about it being free). I also knew my door handles might have issues (they haven't). I knew my b-pillar bolsters might wear. (they are). I knew all of these things and made my decisions accordingly. I don't expect Tesla to provide me with free aftermarket upgrades for "issues" that I was well aware of before my purchase. I made sure I would be happy with what I was getting before I purchased it, which included accepting any perceived shortcomings with an understanding that they may never be addressed, and that if they were it would not be free. I'll love it if they are, but I'm not going to hold it against Tesla otherwise.

Sorry for pissing you off. Yes. Researched the car. Put down deposit in jan of 2011. And yes I u derstamd 3G has a cost. Not $30 in today's world though. With 4 g, LTE, etc. $30 for android, iPhone iOS device is ok, but not when the car should be able to be added to a family plan for 10 or 15. And yes, to stay ahead of you, I understand this may be AT&T but probably not.
Actually I believe what was promised was some sort of rear armrest and center console.
But enough, too many people here who only like to hear one side and always agree with tesla. Who I think is doing a tremendous job. I am probably one of their biggest supporters.

Yeah I remember when that space was meant to match the interior and I think it had rubber grips or something. But makes sense to keep it carpet if they are making drop in units anyway. I'm fine with teslas approach here. I just don't like the pricing so far. The mats were a lot for the quality and I can't even see the logos. The parcel shelf is too much and the net is a net. I'll buy this stuff anyway, but wish it was more reasonable.

And thus the parcel shelf and net are priced appropriately from Tesla's perspective (at least with you as a target customer).

I think that's obvious - to make a statement that they are working on one which looks great and to stop anyone thinking about getting any other third party center console (effectively killing off that biz, I assuming SoFlAuthor's going to stay deep in the hole due to R&D costs and that mostly everyone will get the Tesla one instead).

Clearly if they waited, and if other ppl already spent over $1000 to get SoFlAuthor's, they probably aren't going to spend another $500 or so to get Tesla's since they already forked out a ridiculous amount. It's all about the $$$.

Agreed, the timing of the announcement of a product that is not even currently available seems designed to suppress purchases of third party center consoles.

The fact that they choose not to release pricing at this time also gives us a hint as to where it will be. If their intent is to suppress purchases of third party consoles, and if they planned on beating pricing on the CCI by a heathy margin, wouldn't it make sense to release the pricing now? Since they are not releasing the pricing that would suggest that its pricing will be comparable to the CCI.

Larry

Would like to see a sample before buying, perhaps at the Tesla store nearby. Leather however is a no-no for me.

- - - Updated - - -

If their intent is to suppress purchases of third party consoles, and if they planned on beating pricing on the CCI by a heathy margin, wouldn't it make sense to release the pricing now? Since they are not releasing the pricing that would suggest that its pricing will be comparable to the CCI.
In a few years when our battery packs begin to age there may be 3rd party battery pack sellers offering increased range, faster recharge times and extended cycles. Demand for these vehicles (Roadster, Model S/X, Gen III) will eventually spawn new markets and products.

First thing I thought when I saw the design was IKEA!

Looks like they provide 3 (more?) adjustable curved dividers to insert along the corrugated sides of the CCI. Something tells me this could potentially be very cheaply done.View attachment 19280
First thing I thought when I saw the design was IKEA! :scared:
Like pegs on a shelf that are adjustable... useful, but no elegance, no class!

The fact that they choose not to release pricing at this time also gives us a hint as to where it will be. If their intent is to suppress purchases of third party consoles, and if they planned on beating pricing on the CCI by a heathy margin, wouldn't it make sense to release the pricing now? Since they are not releasing the pricing that would suggest that its pricing will be comparable to the CCI.Larry

If Tesla charges $250 for a cargo shelf, their center console can't be less than $1000...
You summed up so many posts and were able to put it on a bumper sticker! +1!!!:cool:

I'm not happy that it only comes in black leather (+1 to CCI for more color options). I would have to see it in a car with tan seats to see how it looks.
Well I see that Tesla chose to showcase their product with a Tesla interior that had Obeche-Gloss, yet their console has no Obeche-Gloss!
Here's a picture of MY Teslaccessories center console insert in a tan car with obeche-gloss, the way it SHOULD look... IMHO :love:

Last edited by a moderator:
It does have Obeche-Gloss, had to turn up brightness on my iPad to the max to see it. It is on the what looks like ribbed area closest to the 'armrest'
center_console_images.006_1024x1024.jpg

I have already placed my order for a Custom CCI from Teslaccessories and will not cancel it. I went with the white leather and I really don't care to wait for the TM product. Depending on how the TM one looks, I may get one in addition to the CCI to have a black one and swap them out for some variety. I think that Tesla offering this as an additional cost option is perfectly fine, even though it provides some basic functionality that could be expected in any car, the Model S is not any car, and the space is certainly unique to the car. I do think that this is something that should have been included for Signature Series purchasers.

You can remove the carpet and you will find what you may be looking for. The space under the carpet does seem to be nicely finished.

How do you know this? Have you looked under the carpet? If Tesla went to the trouble to install matching trim under there, why would they cover it up with carpet? DrTaras, since you'be had your car taken apart, can you attest to what the open console area looks like under the carpet?