Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drove Audi e-tron Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair these are partly self-inflicted wounds for the Audi e-tron and Mercedes EQC 400: nobody forced them to develop these the way they did, with all the compromises that entailed.

On the other hand, that does not mean it was stupid either (especially for this class of cars).

And VW/Audi is also planning to launch the ID series, so they weren't betting everything on this horse either.

But don't you think these things were cobbled together in a rush when all of the brilliant and deeply talented and technically resourced German car makers realized - presumably in a moment of sheer panic and dread - they had terribly misjudged both Tesla and the market? You have to believe that they cobbled stuff together in a rush from existing ICE designs to get out what they could claim was a quote-unquote competitive product. EXCEPT for the fact that their products aren't really competitive in the critical areas. But they sure do have nice Interiors!

You mean that with no experience with EV technology they should have leapfrogged the company run by a technical genius that has had a six-year Head Start? Really?

Volkswagen E-Golf EV was released in 2015 if that counts.

The overall vehicle seems to be decent with a nice interior. The range however is way to low especially for an SUV which I'm sure would be terrible in bad winter conditions.

It has to be said that if a buyer REALLY wants a very cushy, comfortable, quiet drive in something that also looks comfortably familiar—manufactured by a company that is not :"risky" and associated with bad press that relatives will mention during the holidays—one might be averse to buying a Tesla. I think that is much of what drove Audi and Jaguar's styling decisions.

At least Audi and Jaguar avoided making weirdmobile EVs—by making the cars fit into their existing styling themes. Safe choice.

While Tesla has gotten them to accelerate their EV plans, there's no change in sight to their component and software strategies. Still all outsourced. Still not well integrated (the Jag software is a crime spread across 3 screens). That software part will bite them, mark my words.

Reactions: shellderp
I own a Model 3 but we also own a 2016 BMW X3 and a 2018 Audi Q5. My BMW X3 really handles well but not as good as my Tesla M3. My wifes new Audi Q5 drives very differently than my BMW X3 XDrive 30i and the Audi handling is far inferior. So the truck like driving with the Etron may have something to do with the design philosophy of Audi. This could suggest that when BMW comes out with an electric it may actually drive quite nice. Of all the autos I've purchased the only car that handled as well as my Tesla Model 3 was my Mercedes SLK 350 and my BMW X3 XDrive 30i comes pretty close. .

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx
Audi E-Tron were sold 953 times in April in Europe.
Not too bad, about 1/4 the number of the best selling EV (Renault Zoe 4079) and about half of VW E-Golf (2136).

Model S and Model X not in the Top 20 anymore, sales have crashed.

EUR.PNG

Audi USA recorded 253 e-Tron sales in April and 856 sales in May 2019.

Update 3: Monthly Plug-In EV Sales Scorecard: May 2019

This car seems to be selling pretty well with quick turn time from dealer stock. There are only a few hundred eTrons on the ground right now so they only have about ten days of inventory in the US.

While the I-Pace has been a flop the eTron might actually be resonating with consumers at retail price, which is encouraging for EVs.

This car seems to be selling pretty well with quick turn time from dealer stock. There are only a few hundred eTrons on the ground right now so they only have about ten days of inventory in the US.

While the I-Pace has been a flop the eTron might actually be resonating with consumers at retail price, which is encouraging for EVs.
I will pull out a tired phrase from Tesla shorts - "we will see what happens when the initial pent-up demand is satisfied".

Even my wife told me that if she could afford it, she would buy the "Audi electric SUV". She doesn't care about the poor efficiency as it's not that different than our RAV4 EV.

They are advertising it like crazy in Northern California. I think they ran the "Not for you" advert more than a dozen times during one Giants game.

Reactions: TT97
I will pull out a tired phrase from Tesla shorts - "we will see what happens when the initial pent-up demand is satisfied".

Even my wife told me that if she could afford it, she would buy the "Audi electric SUV". She doesn't care about the poor efficiency as it's not that different than our RAV4 EV.

They are advertising it like crazy in Northern California. I think they ran the "Not for you" advert more than a dozen times during one Giants game.

I suspect that once initial eTron demand settles down it’ll be a 500 unit/month product in the US.

The difference is that the I-Pace never got an initial wave of demand. It started out weak and has remained so, even with heavy incentives and discounting.

The eTron is not a car for me but, like the I-Pace, I suspect the vast majority of deliveries are replacing combustion cars, not other EVs, and that’s a good thing despite its miserable efficiency.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I felt like sharing my experience (and my wife’s) test driving an Audi E-Tron.

I guess because it’s an EV, cars like this and I-pace will always get compared to Tesla. Can we just stop doing that, okay? It’s like comparing a Golden Retriever to Pit Bull because “they’re both dogs”

My wife summed it up nicely when she said “it’s like Audi built an EV for people who are afraid to drive/own an EV.” The car drove like a minivan, was completely lifeless, and appeared no different than any other Audi Q5 (IMO the most boring looking SUV on the road).

We may be completely spoiled by the simplicity of Tesla’s interior but, HOLY BUTTON HELL! Audi shoved two screens (like Jaguar/LR) into the center dash with so many redundant controls. It was obnoxious to look at and extremely painful to use. It reminded me of the Blackberry Z10 with its click touchscreen.

When we floored it for the first time, we looked at each other like “is this thing in eco mode...”? Nah, it was in dynamic mode or whatever the hell Audi calls it.

Look, I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that NOTHING comes close to the driving pleasure of Tesla, and the Model S feels largely the same since it did in 2013, but still nothing comes close. It can’t be beat. Automotive journalists everywhere:
STOP COMPARING THESE SH*T CARS TO TESLA.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I felt like sharing my experience (and my wife’s) test driving an Audi E-Tron.

I guess because it’s an EV, cars like this and I-pace will always get compared to Tesla. Can we just stop doing that, okay? It’s like comparing a Golden Retriever to Pit Bull because “they’re both dogs”

My wife summed it up nicely when she said “it’s like Audi built an EV for people who are afraid to drive/own an EV.” The car drove like a minivan, was completely lifeless, and appeared no different than any other Audi Q5 (IMO the most boring looking SUV on the road).

We may be completely spoiled by the simplicity of Tesla’s interior but, HOLY BUTTON HELL! Audi shoved two screens (like Jaguar/LR) into the center dash with so many redundant controls. It was obnoxious to look at and extremely painful to use. It reminded me of the Blackberry Z10 with its click touchscreen.

When we floored it for the first time, we looked at each other like “is this thing in eco mode...”? Nah, it was in dynamic mode or whatever the hell Audi calls it.

Look, I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that NOTHING comes close to the driving pleasure of Tesla, and the Model S feels largely the same since it did in 2013, but still nothing comes close. It can’t be beat. Automotive journalists everywhere:
STOP COMPARING THESE SH*T CARS TO TESLA.
But... but....it’s got lots of bling and four rings. Doesn’t that make it amazing???

I sat in an e-tron and it was very nice. I agree with @Lhshockey24 that, especially after getting used to the elegant simplicity of a Tesla, the dash was “holy button hell”. But it was very high-tech and luxurious. High quality finishes. The seats were extremely comfortable. I did not get to drive it, so this isn’t really a review.

This was at an EV show for Earth Day with an i-Pace, plug-in BMW X5, and new LEAF on display by dealers, and volunteers bringing their personal cars including my Mercedes B-class, a VW e-Golf, and multiple model 3s and Ss. I was there with several other people including a retired couple who were put off by the spartan interior of the Model 3 but raved about the e-tron.

We all love Teslas here but I think it’s great whenever anyone buys any EV in place of an ICE car. The more conventional brands will have a place in driving the transition to electric driving. The initial wave of early adopters is coming to a close. The true mainstream majority will come when there are tons of different choices and EV just becomes the most common drivetrain.

A quick E-Tron story for those who care to read...

We were stopped at the superchargers in Gilroy, CA today and off to the side I saw an e-Tron owner, possibly for the first time, trying to figure out how to use the ChargePoint chargers. His wife was on the phone with their support while he was trying to release the charger. I happily swiped my ChargePoint app to help the poor couple get charging. I asked the gentleman, “where are you all headed, how much charge do you need?” He replied “we have about 80 miles but we need to get to Marin so I would like to have about 150 miles.” I peeked at the ChargePoint screen to see that this was a 6.6kW Charger... I said, “you might be here for a while.” He replied “but the man at Audi told me it only takes 30 minutes for a full charge, and they gave me a thousand kilowatts of charging for free.”

After explaining to him what that meant, and why a (slower) level 2 charger would not help him get very far today, we spotted the EVgo level 3 chargers in the other parking spots. We tried the first one together, his credit card swiped ‘initializing...OUT OF SERVICE’.

Tried the second one...please download app... (I had it already so I gave it a shot) ‘UNABLE TO CONNECT TO SERVER, PLEASE TRY AGAIN’

At this point, both he and his wife were on the phone, one of them with Audi, the other with EVgo support. Stranded in Gilroy, 98* outside.

I realize in this 20 minutes that we have gained enough juice in our X from our supercharging session to finish our drive home from Carmel.

As I walk away, I hear the wife tell her husband, in a very dejected tone, “I JUST wanted to me more green...”

If only they had JUST bought a Tesla...

I wonder if they ever made it to Marin okay.

After explaining to him what that meant, and why a (slower) level 2 charger would not help him get very far today, we spotted the EVgo level 3 chargers in the other parking spots. We tried the first one together, his credit card swiped ‘initializing...OUT OF SERVICE’.

Tried the second one...please download app... (I had it already so I gave it a shot) ‘UNABLE TO CONNECT TO SERVER, PLEASE TRY AGAIN’
At EVGo chargers you can charge by simply swiping a credit card (either directly at the charger or a nearby kiosk). And obviously as an E-tron driver in the Bay Area it's pretty stupid not to have an EVGo RFID card. No app required. If that particular station had a problem, they could have easily reached another EVGo charger in San Jose on the way north (or just take the one down the street at Walmart in Gilroy). The best advice you could have given them is to get the Plugshare app. ;)

Frankly, this sounds like a severe lack of preparation. I wonder how they got to Gilroy in the first place ...

Last edited: