Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drunk driver strikes fire truck in San Jose, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure there were 1,000 similar incidents yesterday and this is a story? Not news.
Maybe, but hitting stationary parked fire trucks? Out of those, how many of those vehicles had something similar to autopilot and automatic emergency braking? (Yes, I know, they may be unable to reliably detected stopped vehicles at highway speeds).

If the "driver" really was drunk, perhaps AP let him "drive" more successfully/further than on a car without it? Unfortunately, he had this issue.

I don't understand. The nags obviously didn't work, at least in this case. This incident is evidence they are ineffective. What about this event supports the theory that more nags is better?

Exactly. He may not have had any nags at all; maybe his hands were on the wheel the whole time? Just because you pass out doesn't mean your hands fall off.

This article shows just how many accidents there are all the time involving emergency vehicles, happens to many times in my opinion. My son is a firefighter and drives a firetruck he says people ignore the lights and sirens all the time. He was hit once standing by a crashed car by a guy who wasn't paying attention, the driver claimed he didn't see the fire truck and its lights
How Many Emergency Vehicle Accidents Occur in the U.S.?

A Tesla crashed into the back of a San Jose fire truck on Highway 101 early Saturday

"TESLA near miss! For the 2nd time in recent months SJ FF’s escaped serious injury as a @teslamotors “Zero Emissions” vehicle slammed into the back of a #SJFD FireEngine..."

2nd time??

June 2, 2018 a Nissan ran into the rear of a SJFD truck. I that tweet, they did not mention the make of the car
SanJoseFireFighters on Twitter

Nov 17, 2017 A Mercedes on fire in a parking lot. No mention of the make.
San Jose Fire Dept. on Twitter

Last edited:
Reactions: .jg.