Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dryer outlet ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,
I have a soon to be delivered x 75d, I am fairly new and want to know if I run an outlet to my garage what kind of
receptacle should I end up with? It will be a 220 line but Not sure of the amps. I am sheepish about asking but I want to prepare as best I can. Does the model X come with an adapter that will plug into a dryer outlet? Thank you.

Home charging installation

Tesla recommends the NEMA 14-50 outlet. It looks like:
DSCN3900-220Socket.jpg

Reactions: ohmman
Hi Folks,
I have a soon to be delivered x 75d, I am fairly new and want to know if I run an outlet to my garage what kind of
receptacle should I end up with? It will be a 220 line but Not sure of the amps. I am sheepish about asking but I want to prepare as best I can. Does the model X come with an adapter that will plug into a dryer outlet? Thank you.

Standard adapters are 120V and 240V 40 A for a NEMA 14-50 outlet. There are presently no 30A (dryer) adapters available from Tesla.

Run a 50A line to a NEMA 14-50 outlet and you will charge at 29 rated miles per hour of charge.

Hi Folks,
If you're running an outlet to your garage specifically for the Model X, then it should be a NEMA 14-50 receptacle, 240V with a 50A circuit breaker. Download this file from Tesla and print it out for reference.

Teslas come with three standard adapters: one is for J1772 EV charging stations, one is for 120V outlets like you'll find all over your house, and one is for a particular type of 240V outlet: the NEMA 14-50. The latter will give you the fastest charging speed of the three.

A dryer outlet is technically known as NEMA 14-30, which means that it's rated to provide a maximum of 30 amps (not a continuous 30 amp load.) The dryer outlet will safely provide 24 amps of continuous power draw; if your load approaches 30 amps, your circuit breaker will (and should) trip.

Tesla used to sell NEMA 14-30 adapters in their online store, but it seems they are not currently in stock. A dryer outlet adapter does not come as standard equipment. You can't use the provided 14-50 adapter in a dryer outlet, since the prongs won't match (not to mention it isn't safe to draw 40 or 50 amps from a 30A receptacle.) If you need to charge from a dryer outlet, you'd have to buy a third-party adapter.

A NEMA 14-50 outlet is rated for 50 amps, which means it can safely give you up to 40 amps of continuous power; if the load approaches 50A, the breaker will trip. The Mobile Connector provided with the car can only draw 40 amps (and it still gets a bit warm when doing so, which is why many owners dial back the current on the car's charging screen to 32A instead.)

Question: If I already have a 50A breaker and 14-50 outlet available, is there any benefit to using the $500 wall charger vs. the mobile connector that comes with the car? Besides the oblivious point about keeping the mobile connector in the car. Did not order the high speed charging option and do not have a second car to charge.

Taking delivery this week on our MX 75D 5-seater.

Question: If I already have a 50A breaker and 14-50 outlet available, is there any benefit to using the $500 wall charger vs. the mobile connector that comes with the car? Besides the oblivious point about keeping the mobile connector in the car. Did not order the high speed charging option and do not have a second car to charge.

If you're on a 50A circuit, then no advantage to the HPWC (others may disagree and say it's sturdier, but I've used my UMC for 3 1/2 years this way without a problem). If you were installing a new circuit, then a 60A circuit would give you a 48A charge using the HPWC.
You don't need to keep the mobile connector (UMC) in the car. I leave mine on a hook next to the outlet and only unplug it and take it with me if I'm going out of town.

If you're on a 50A circuit, then no advantage to the HPWC (others may disagree and say it's sturdier, but I've used my UMC for 3 1/2 years this way without a problem). If you were installing a new circuit, then a 60A circuit would give you a 48A charge using the HPWC.
You don't need to keep the mobile connector (UMC) in the car. I leave mine on a hook next to the outlet and only unplug it and take it with me if I'm going out of town.
I'll second the motion that there's really no advantage to getting the HPWC if you already have a 50A circuit and you didn't get the high speed charging option. However, the HPWC is definitely a consideration if you want to keep the UMC in the car with you at all times. I just checked and the HPWC is now $500 (it used to be $650), so is now cheaper than buying a second UMC (as I did).

Leaving the UMC plugged in all the time works fine, until you get comfortably used to that and forget to take it on a trip (as I did once.) In a sub-zero Illinois winter, I wouldn't leave home without it, just in case you get low and your charging options don't include being close to a supercharger.

Reactions: Akikiki

The obvious point is obvious, but still important. :)

Because of that, I tend to think that buying either a second UMC or a Wall Connecter makes sense - I opted for the Wall Connecter for better future installation flexibility.

Reactions: thecloud
I agree with TexasEV and thecloud. And to some degree I agree with Saghost. However. If I charge at home at 50 amps, I see a disadvantage using the Wall Connector. When plugged in with a Wall Connector, If my car stops charging I have no alternative way to use the 50 amp circuit. If I have a second UMC instead of the Wall Connector, I can at least test my 50 amp circuit at the 14-50 outlet by pulling my the car's UMC out and trying it and its adapters. This may not tell me everything I need to know, but I would have ruled out the probability that my second UMC was the problem or it is the problem. I like the Wall Connector. But they fact that its hardwired into the 50 amp circuit and can not be simply unplugged and swapped for another UMC or UMC adapter, is IMO limiting. I don't see how the Wall Connector offers better future installation flexibility, unless I am planning a service upgrade to my home so it could accommodate higher than a 50 amp circuit. (Probably not.)

I agree with TexasEV and thecloud. And to some degree I agree with Saghost. However. If I charge at home at 50 amps, I see a disadvantage using the Wall Connector. When plugged in with a Wall Connector, If my car stops charging I have no alternative way to use the 50 amp circuit. If I have a second UMC instead of the Wall Connector, I can at least test my 50 amp circuit at the 14-50 outlet by pulling my the car's UMC out and trying it and its adapters. This may not tell me everything I need to know, but I would have ruled out the probability that my second UMC was the problem or it is the problem. I like the Wall Connector. But they fact that its hardwired into the 50 amp circuit and can not be simply unplugged and swapped for another UMC or UMC adapter, is IMO limiting. I don't see how the Wall Connector offers better future installation flexibility, unless I am planning a service upgrade to my home so it could accommodate higher than a 50 amp circuit. (Probably not.)

I'm not sure it's to code, but there's no functional or safety reason I can see why you couldn't put a 14-50 plug onto a HPWC and set the internal switch to match (40A)

That's exactly the sort of future flexibility I had in mind - upgrade to higher capacity circuits, or add another EV and second charger (up to 4 HPWCs of the current generation can share a circuit breaker and automatically allocate power between them based on the needs of the cars plugged in to them.)

Reactions: Akikiki
Hi Folks,
Several people here have pretty firm ideas about what you need at home. I am of the view that you should first assess your driving patterns, then decide what to do.
Based on your location, you have fairly easy Supercharger access for trips in almost any direction.
Unless you drive more than 150 miles per day or leave your car outside all day in the winter you probably will not really need more than 208/30, which will easily give you 60% added charge overnight, even in the winter.
Residential charging rarely needs more amperage than that unless you often come hope at a low state of charge and want to drive a long way less than two hours later.

When I installed mine I was aghast that all I could get was 208/30. I have never needed more and often don't even plug that in.I do have, and am happy I have, a Tesla connector (not pertinent, but I have the connector that comes with the Tesla HPWC but I do not have a HPWC).

Before you spend any unnecessary money make sure you want what you'll spend it for.

Reactions: Drucifer
I'm not sure it's to code, but there's no functional or safety reason I can see why you couldn't put a 14-50 plug onto a HPWC and set the internal switch to match (40A)

That's exactly the sort of future flexibility I had in mind - upgrade to higher capacity circuits, or add another EV and second charger (up to 4 HPWCs of the current generation can share a circuit breaker and automatically allocate power between them based on the needs of the cars plugged in to them.)

That's what I did. Works great, looks great. UMC stays in the car "just in case".
Note to HPWC folks: Tesla recommends ferrules (my local electrian said: eh?) ... I couldn't agree more: use them if you have them (did without since ones of this size are super rare)

I like that idea. Adding a 14-50 outlet next to the Wall Connector. Until recently the Wall Connector cost us more than a UMC, so my vote was always get a second UMC (if needed to keep one in the car) and leave a way to use either one with the 14-50 outlet.

I like that idea. Adding a 14-50 outlet next to the Wall Connector. Until recently the Wall Connector cost us more than a UMC, so my vote was always get a second UMC (if needed to keep one in the car) and leave a way to use either one with the 14-50 outlet.

I'm pretty sure you have to run separate wires and circuit breakers to make that meet code.

What I was suggesting was a little different - wire a 14-50 outlet on a 50A breaker for the house, and attach the HPWC to a set of wires that run to a 14-50 plug, then plug it in to the outlet.